An incredibly stupid question

Gory Elephant

Apr 26, 2003
I have been resisting asking this for a long time now, because I am sure I am going to open myself up for some abuse, but what the hell does NWOBHM mean/stand for?

Someone please enlighten me. I see it everywhere, but have never heard anyone spell it out, so to speak.

Thanks.

you left out Venom, man! one of the prime examples.

i think it's a pretty damn lame label... just take six words and shorten them to their initials so that they're just as uncatchy or easy to remember :Spin:

there's supposedly a "NWOAHM" spearheaded by all the goddamn metalcore bands flooding the market at the moment such as Chimaira, God Forbid, Hatebreed etc...

Yes, metalcore/hardcore bands are becoming more mainstream recently with bands like Sworn Enemy, Hatebreed and Lamb Of God are signing on to major labels. Seems like some of you look down on them but I do like some of them but I would never think it is better than early death/thrash metal. By the way I think Chimaira sucks so much dick it's not funny. They're like try hard nu-metal/metalcore. Hatebreed are alright but they're pretty predictable. I like God Forbid's earlier work way more than any thing in metalcore like what Edgecrusher is saying but I think they're new album is weak.

Lamb Of God are not metalcore IMO; they're more halfthrash/groove, and I hardly hear any hardcore influence in their sound. The new God Forbid isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Hatebreed are ok. What I hate is emo-hardcore or emocore. That shit is getting pretty popular.

I really like the new God Forbid. It is a lot better than what I expected knowing that they would be adding "clean" vocals to the mix. The clean vocals actually kinda break up the slightly monotonous hardcore screams of Byron Davis.

Over all I'd say that this is a very solid album with very catchy and very memorable riffs. And of course more great leads!

Head on over to CenturyMedia.com and check out the mp3 for "Antihero"

no, hatebreed are not metalcore, they are canned shit. same boring half tempo riffs, same tough guy posturing from a little guy with a big mouth, same lack of anything even remotely resembling creativity, same mouthpiece for mtv preaching about diy and standing up for your beliefs and blah blah blah. give me music worth listening to not rhetoric over breakdowns.

Life Sucks said:
Lamb Of God are not metalcore IMO; they're more halfthrash/groove, and I hardly hear any hardcore influence in their sound. The new God Forbid isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Hatebreed are ok. What I hate is emo-hardcore or emocore. That shit is getting pretty popular.
Yes, I hate that emo-hardcore or emo-metalcore or whatever shit. I hate their pansy vocals. Listen to Haste and you will see what I mean.

God how can you be soo retarded, that has to be the stupidest question I have ever heard in my entire life. Jesus Horatio Christ, I am stupified by your lack of intelligence with metal. God, I am going to have to pray to the white metal Gods that you learn some shit about metal. Tard.

UltimateMetalFanatic said:
Jesus Horatio Christ, I am stupified by your lack of intelligence with metal.
That single sentence summed up your level of intelligence pretty well :rolleyes:.

I always assumed that the NWOAHM was the beginning of the thrash scene. When I was a kid that is what we called it. Bands like Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, Anthrax and Slayer were considered the NWOAHM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is NWOAHM?