An Introduction and a request of sorts...

Necromortis

Mar 7, 2005
Hi all,

I've just joined UM.com, but I've been reading a lot of the posts on the boards for about a year now. It looks like a great place. So I decided to join up.

I live in California, but I'm South African. I hate our President, but that isn't relevant. I've been playing the guitar for about four years. I listen to a lot of bands, but mostly Melodic Death Metal like old In Flames and Dark Tranquillity. I'm also fond of Viking/Folk Metal a la Ensiferum.

Which leads me to the actual point of this thread, the request.

Well, I'm in a desperate need for some bands to listen too. I've tried Helloween, Hammerfall, and Death Angel. The just weren't really my style I suppose. I'm looking for something heavier than them, but not so minimilistic and un-accesible.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you could recommend some good Melodic Death Metal/Gothenburg bands ('cause I guess that's what old In Flames and DT are). I know there's already a thread, but I thought that this was quite a bit more specific than that, and I wanted to introduce myself.

If any of you also happen to know some good Viking/Folk metal that is a bit more accesible than some of the minimilistic stuff it would be great if you could tell me about that as well.

In fact, if you think you have any bands that I would like that don't fall under those two categories (I'll give you a list of bands I like in a minute), then please, tell me about them.

I like, besides the aforementioned Dark Tranquillity, older In Flames, and Ensiferum: Children of Bodom (though I'm beginning to get tired of the hype around them), I enjoy listening to Nightwish now and then, and I've got a few tracks from Immolation and Arch Enemy. So based on those, please see the above paragraph.

Thanks so much,
Necromortis

P.S. Sorry for such a long post, and sorry for creating yet another recommendation thread, but it is rather specific. Thanks again.

You would probably like Carcass - Heartwork. I think that should be a safe bet. If you're loooking for different things, try Emperor, Opeth, and My Dying Bride. All are fairly accessible and important bands in the metal scene.

Mastodon and Isis are also pretty safe bets.

MasterOLightning said:
You would probably like Carcass - Heartwork. I think that should be a safe bet. If you're loooking for different things, try Emperor, Opeth, and My Dying Bride. All are fairly accessible and important bands in the metal scene.
Quoted for agreement :)

Welcome to the board. I know a couple of South Africans and in fact 2 of my best friends were born in South Africa and they're metalheads.
Here are my recs:

Death metal:

The Chasm - their whole discography is good. They're a perfect blend of death metal and epic melodies.
Psycroptic - a few people on this board don't like their style, and I myself seem to prefer their first album The Isle of Disenchantment which has more coherent songwriting and melodies. Sceptre of the Ancients is good, but is more technical and "kick ass".
Eucharist - If you're a Gothenberg fan, you'll like this one. I've only heard A Velvet Creation and I think it's an awesome album.
Golem - A bit of a Carcass worship band, but they've got good stuff. Eternity - The Weeping Horizons is a great album. Dreamweaver isn't all too bad either.
Serpens Aeon - At first they may sound like The Chasm(the band has a few members that used to be in The Chasm anyway), but their songwriting style is more straightforward and their melodies are simpler. Great band.

Viking/Folk Metal(This is a genre I need to explore abit more myself) & other Folk/Black Metal recs:
Definitely check out the recs given above.
Enslaved - They started out as a viking black metal band(Eld is my favourite album from that Era) and gradually added more progressive elements(Below The Lights is a great album)
Bathory - One of the most important bands in the Black metal genre and pioneer of Viking Metal. Essential stuff.
Finntroll - polka influenced folk/black metal...Seems to work well *shrugs*
Nachtfalke - Pretty accessible if you can tolerate extremely raw and fuzzy distortion.
Primordial - They just released a new album and it's worth a go.
Negura Bunget - One of my favourite bands, perfect atmosphere and some of the stuff they do is just out of this world. 'N Crugu Bradului is the album to get.
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon, essential album. Get it.

I could go on, but it would bore you and ruin the fun of the board. :p

i was thinking this thread would go either way with the gmd regulars. i guess it depends on how pissed off the first 3 or 4 respondants are. good to see its been taken in a more pleasant vain.

i'd recommend to start with;
amon amarth - once sent from a golden hall
amorphis - the karelian isthmus
at the gates - slaughter of the soul
opeth - morningrise

and everyone likes arghoslent - incorrigible bigotry.

start with those, ask again if you enjoy my list.

Pig Destroyer, Pelican, Prayer For Cleansing, Sikth, Solefald, Temnozor, Ulver, Thorns, Weakling, Xasthur, Pantheon, Zyklon-B, Einsturzende Neubauten, Bodies In The Gears Of The Apparatus, Curl Up And Die, Fleurety, Halo, Morgion, Knut, Thinking Plague, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Tim Buckley, Enslaved, Dodheimsgard, Can, Cave In, Arcturus, Isis, and 7000 Dying Rats.

I think when someone makes an effort to not be all noobish, there shouldn't be any problems. He also acknowledged the existence of the recommendation thread and then justified his own. Well done. That's the way to not get flamed.

Without reading other's post...

Melodic Death Metal

Carcass - Heartwork
The Chasm - Spell of Retribution
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation (even though I Haven't heard it)
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
At the gates - The Red in the sky is ours
Casketgarden
Chastisement - Alleviation of Pain

Viking Metal

Forefather
Falkenbach
Temnozor
Einherjer
Ensiferum
Finntroll

A few death metal recommendations which I'm sure you'll appreciate:

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Brutality - When the Sky Turns Black
Cadaver - ...In Pains
Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey
Crypt of Kerberos - World of Myths
Desultory - Into Eternity
Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
Fester - Winter of Sin
Fester - Silence
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil
Uncanny - Splenium For Nyktophobia
Unleashed - Shadows In The Deep

Welcome!

If you want some rather accesible metal, that still maintains a high level of quality, I recommend this:

Immortal - At the Heart of Winter (Melodic black metal with an edge)
At the Gates - Start with Slaughter of the Soul, and then work your way back through their discography. One of the most important Gothenberg bands.
Death - Sounds of Perseverance (melodic death metal with a progressive touch, and should be able to satisfy a Gothenberg fan)

Non of these recommendations are hard to come by, whether you're planning to download or buy them. A lot of UM members have the tendency of just throwing out recommendations that'ss so obscure that you'll never find them. A way of proving themselves, I suppose...

Gallantry over Docility said:
How's this compare to Winter of Sin?

It's good in it's own right, but in comparison a fair bit weaker. The musicianship is better, and it displays some well above average riff-work, yet the vocals are entirely performed in a whisper. Not a harsh whisper/growl ala Beherit, but an actual whisper. It's ridiculous to begin with, but easy enough to ignore. I'd say it's worth a download. The main reason I recommended it is because it's generally a very accessible melodic death metal album.

Crimson Velvet said:
Welcome!

At the Gates - Start with Slaughter of the Soul, and then work your way back through their discography. One of the most important Gothenberg bands.
Death - Sounds of Perseverance (melodic death metal with a progressive touch, and should be able to satisfy a Gothenberg fan)

I'll second the At the Gates recommendation for melo-death.. also try gardenian and sacrilege...
I'll also recommend Dimension Zero, it has Jesper Stromblad, so u know its worth a listen...
Also give old soilwork a try...but nothing after predators portrait... they had a few really good songs...

as for Death, i personally feel Symbolic would be a better start since the songs are more coherent...and well, better :p...

if u're interested give technical death metal a try...try Quo Vadis and Martyr... they both have a very interesting feel... and they have some great riffs along with excellent melodies....

cheers.

Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry or just get Arsenal of Glory
Utumno - Across the Horizon
Trollech - V Rachotu Hromu
Asmegin - Hin Vordende Sod & Sø