An Ode To Woods of Ypres

Dauden

Jun 26, 2006
Today is a bittersweet day in Woods land. Woods V is done, but so is the band. It seems only fitting, on a grey day in southern Ontario, for me to write my eulogy for a band that has been so close to my heart.

I first discovered Woods at the end of 2004, I believe. At the time I had been into metal for some time, but was looking for black metal bands, as I had just started looking into the genre. I visited the Ultimate Guitar forums a lot in search for new bands, and was tipped off to a relatively new Canadian band, Woods, who had an EP and a full length album. A small group of people hailed Pursuit as somewhat of an underground masterpiece; a black metal album based around summer themes, not winter themes.

As summer hit, I began to "get" the album. I also fell in love with the first EP. Though clearly rawer and much different, the album had a character and ferocity all its own. Before I knew it, I couldn't get enough of the band. I scoured the internet for everything Woods. Shows? Why couldn't I get my hands on the actual album? When would the next album be out?

For the next couple of years, Woods I and II became the soundtracks to my summers. They were the perfect escape for a high school kid looking for a break. I have vivid memories of walking out of school blasting "A Meeting Place And Time". I took several trips to a close by forest to take pictures and just get lost in Pursuit and my own mini-isolation... at least for an hour. I eventually tabbed out both Shedding the Deadwood and the Intro, a couple of the only complete Woods tabs on the internet.

To say I was excited for Woods III would be a ridiculous understatement. If DG could nail the atmospheric "doom and gloom" of the summer, the winter should be a walk in the park... er, woods.

Finding a song with lyrics that perfectly relate to your mood or situation is a rarity, but an entire album is just absurd. Now in university, I spent at least 8 hours a day at the place, sometimes more, doing half hour commutes there and back. The autumn involved long, depressing trips through the dreary downtown, and by winter, I often left my house as or before the sun was up, and left to go home as the sun was already down. "Your Ontario Town" couldn't have better suited such a depressing, dark trip to school or back.

But it wasn't just that. While I lived at home with my family, "Distractions of Living Alone" nailed the feeling of coming home in the dark, after a long day, to a lonely room that hadn't been touched since the night before (often with a boat load of homework waiting to be done). The year before I had a failed long distance relationship ("End of Tradition") and I struggled to keep ties with old high school friends ("Years Of Silence"). Yet songs like "The Northern Cold" and "Thrill of the Struggle" urged me onwards and often provided that oh so sweet release that only metal can give.

Before Woods IV I finally got to see the band live (though I had met DG before, playing drums in Gates of Winter). Down in a shitty, worn out St. Thomas metalfest I got to preview a couple of new songs, and... well, my neck was ridiculously sore for the next two days.

Woods IV hit me like a ton of bricks. While dubbed "The Green Album", it had a lot more of a feeling of green turning to brown. It was the perfect album for November and the coming winter. Having followed DG's South Korean adventure via the forum and Facebook, the songs instantly came alive for me, and I have a hard time listening to "Into Exile" and not getting goose bumps. Immediate and real.

I was then sad to learn that the distribution and overall creation of Woods merch was coming to an end, and so would the band. There are bands that you love, bands that you listen to a lot... and then there are bands that stand alone. Where favouring certain albums or songs seems impossible. Where albums or songs aren't in relation to each other, but to times and situations in your life that you vividly remember.

Perhaps then, it is only fitting, that Woods comes to an end at the end of August, as I enter my final year of university, with a final five song bang. The clips that I have heard sound absolutely outstanding, and it's an album that I will not only greatly anticipate, but hold close to my heart once it's in my hands.

Lastly, Woods (well, David) is not only about the music, but the preserverance. Pursuit, the entire band left. Perhaps Woods music would never be made again. Then Woods III... which took forever to complete, offered up countless transportation and technical issues. Nevermind the personal crap, the year long expedition to a foreign land... or the touring. Crap venues, broken glass, stolen stuff... and bathroom stalls without doors. Oh, and don't forget the haters.

In retrospect, the fact that Woods has ended after five albums isn't really that sad after all, it seems nothing short of a miracle. And that's where I can only raise my glass to David, former band members, and other diehard Woods geeks who made the whole thing happen. Woods has always been about home grown music, and the idea that music needs to be made and delivered to the people. And so it was for eight years, and soon to be five kickass albums. :kickass:

I'm not sure what the future holds for you, DG (knowing you, neither do you, likely), but I can only give a gigantic thanks and say that your music did reach people's ears and people's hearts. Best of luck on future endeavours, I hope you keep in touch with us, and I hope to all hell that you keep making and releasing music... even if it's just you and an acoustic guitar. Cheers man. \w/ \w/ :kickass:

--Brodie

Through the crests and troughs
I will have seen both sides
By the Pursuit of the Sun and the Allure of the Earth
I will have earned and spent my life

The will to give
There is no destination
There is only the journey

Nice write-up.

Woods (to me) have long-since moved into regular heavy rotation in my personal collection and have been one of those bands I've been yammering to others about for years(!) now.

Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Metallica, Slayer, Motorhead, Social Distortion, Zeke, The Ramones, Fu Manchu, Testament, Overkill, Corrosion of Conformity, D.R.I., Voivod, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Sisters of Mercy, Bad Religion, Agalloch-- all bands that have hovered in my favorite 1% over major periods/all of the 28 years I've been listening to music-- and Woods entered that with the release of their second album (Pursuit of the Sun, Allure of the Earth) in 2004.

Having been turned on to the band in 2002 when they appeared on a Knuckletracks sampler ("Crossing the 45th Parallel"-- also one of my least favorite Woods tracks, mysteriously), I picked up the Woods debut soon thereafter, thanks to the internet. Adrian Bromley/Mister Pink Bunny was a frequent crier for the band, and I followed more than one internet discussion about "A Meeting Place and Time"-- the fervor about that particular track was the impetus to send a check (pre-Woods Paypal) to Mr. Gold for the full "Against the Seasons" release. That particular album has probably extended more grilling sessions than any other in my collection. National Public Radio in the US has “Driveway Moments” or something of the sort—feature pieces that one apparently “can’t turn off when they pull into the driveway until the story is done.”
“Against the Seasons” has made me tighten the vents and extend ribs and steak on many an occasion; the food isn’t ready until the Call-of-Ktulu-ending of “…Inevitible” ceases.

But back to “Pursuit”. That particular album grabbed me like no other—at least no other in a good decade or more. Prior to its release, I sporadically followed what I seem to recall was an early version of the Woods website, a myspace site, and their first forum on SMNnews. “Shedding the Deadwood” and (I believe) either “The Sun Was in My Eyes: Part I” or “The Will to Give” were previewed. I’ll admit I loved the heavier track but was uncertain about “…Deadwood”. However I wasn’t too concerned—I preordered (and waited and waited—one of many Woods’ trademarks). The album arrived on a Saturday. I remember spinning it back-to-back before emerging and telling my metalhead neighbor’s wife to tell him that I’d just received “the album of the year.” Since then, that album has only solidified itself to me alongside other classics like “The Number of the Beast,” “Master of Puppets,” “Reign in Blood,” and “The Legacy.” Seriously, if I could only keep *ONE* album in my collection, it would be a hard-fought battle between the 1979 classic Judas Priest album “Unleashed in the East: Live in Japan” and “Pursuit of the Sun, Allure of the Earth.” Yeah, to me it’s that good. Woods continues to be the benchmark for new releases—“Hey, how’s ‘The Final Frontier’?” “It’s no Woods.”

Despite lineup changes, lengthy recording/limbo processes and a myriad of moves, David Gold has always plugged in and plugged forward. Hell, the multi-year teaser trickle of songs from Woods III was equally awesome as it was agonizing. And damn, the last batch of previews for that album was only available on Facebook—my resistance to that site ended that day. Each of the 4 releases have brought something different to the proverbial table, but all still sound like Woods—yeah, cliché as hell, but that’s how I see it. Each song, every placement, every pairing—they just feel right. Heave in some Crowbar? Yep, still Woods. Give it a dose of Type O Negative? Yep, still Woods. Layer in some Discouraged Ones-era Katatonia ? Yep, still Woods. Hell, I curiously await the potential Paul Young takeover…

I’ve been lucky enough to see Woods twice—I flew to Canada from the SE US for the Day of the Equinox fest in Toronto in 2005 and again for the somber Adrian Bromley memorial in 2009. Most unfortunately I couldn’t take in the show a mere 150 miles from my house this summer—the 2 days around that show were probably 2 of the only days in June/July I couldn’t tweak work-wise. It still stings…

I continue to be on the lookout for Woods-related material to add to the couple-dozen pieces of Woods-clothing I’ve purchased over the years (I think I have one to two of every style of clothing made except for the Black/Doom hoodie and the girlie stuff), as well as the off-beat compilations (yep, still looking for the Japanese comp with the Gustav Dore cover…). The later-era merch is nice, too—I’ll have to break out the grocery bag one of these trips to the store…

For now I’m off to re-watch the preview of the massive Woods V.

Zeke/Patrick

P.S. It wouldn't be a metal thread without a list or ranking, so...
Favorite album: Pursuit of the Sun, Allure of the Earth
Favorite song: The Sun Was In My Eyes: Part Doom
Favorite lyric: "The feel of cold, the black of night, the white of snow,
Walking home, the smell of smoke, these are the memories of my youth."

Woods rankings:
1) Pursuit
2) tie Green Album/Against/III

Fantastic write up. I hope everyone who has had some serious connections to the band and/or music can post something in this site as a tribute to the band. Nearly impossible, but I'll try on this one.

Favourite album: Woods III
Favourite Song: Distractions of Living Alone
Favourite Lyric: "Some wood can be used to help build a life. This wood will be used for building a fire."
Ranked (Uh, impossible?): 1) Woods II
2) Pursuit
3) Woods IV
4) Against

And I love Against more than most of the music that I have so... it should be taken with a grain of salt :p

I met David before I even knew he was in a band, he worked in a big chain music store and every time I went in there we talked about Metal, he actually got me into Katatonia and Agalloch.

I used to listen to a few Metal shows on our local University's radio station, CJAM, one of which was called "Sonic North" co-hosted by non other than David Gold, and it was there that I first heard Woods of Ypres, I believe the song was "Crossing The 45th Parallel". The next time I was in the music store I bought the album (which came with a Woods of Ypres button that I still have) and instantly fell in love with "A Meeting Place And Time" and "Sea Of Immeasurable Loss". Woods of Ypres quickly became one of my favorite bands after the release of Against The Seasons in 2002, and became my favorite band after the release of Pursuit Of The Sun in 2004.

The first song I heard off of Pursuit Of The Sun was "Shedding The Deadwood", it was on a Knuckletracks sampler, and I must of listened to that song 100 times before I got the album.

Like Zeke I have been telling everybody about Woods for the past 8 years whenever the conversation of music comes up. I even got one of my friends who doesn't even listen to Metal to like a couple songs.

I have seen Woods in concert twice and both times they were awesome.

Favorite Album: Woods III
Favorite Song: A Meeting Place And Time
Favorite Lyric: The sun taunts you in everything you do. Like a substance that works for everyone else, but has no effect on you.

I first discovered Woods in late 2005, early 2006. I found them through a friend who let me listen to them on an mp3 player. The first I heard was Woods I, I loved every song, but "A Meeting Place and Time" struck me the most.
A few weeks later I discovered Woods II on my own and obtained a copy by strapping on an eye patch and peg leg (I admit it, but I'm not proud of it, but I've made up for it by sending David as much money for every album and merch I could get my hands on. Actually bought the first three albums and the Allure LP twice, once from David and again from Omega.).

I remember the run up to Woods III, it was my first encounter with David, it was over MSN, those of us in Ireland haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting the man himself. I remember it well as It was part of a birthday present for my Girlfriend who at the time was a huge Woods fan. I asked David if he could sent me a signature. All I was expecting was a piece of paper with a signature, but David went one step further to send out a Compilation of Canadian Bands which included Woods with "The Northern Cold". Out of thanks I sent David a cheque for $20, which I never followed up on so I have no idea if he actually got it, at the time I didn't have have a cheque book so I used my dads, and he never said anything more about it.'
I've never tried to contact another band, but I imagine that it would not be this easy or as fruitful.
When Woods III finally came and I finally got hold of a copy, it was on a bitter cold winters night, I put a copy on my MP3 player and went to the beach with some friends and I listened to Nothern Cold on repeat.

The next chapter of my woods story skips forward a few years to late 2009 to early 2010 during Woods 4. I tried to download the album but I couldn't find it anywhere so I decided then that I would buy it from Omega order along with the bleeding heart T-shirt. David then announced that the Distro would be Closing in August so I took the opportunity to buy as much merch from him as my overdraft would allow. I just wish I could have gotten more than I did. I do hope that my Eco bag and Woods shirt have not been lost in the post and that my final order gets to me safely.

Throughout the years there have been various woods songs that have resonated with me due to moods and situations and I've listened to them over and over and over. Some of them being: Northern Cold, Private Joke, The Will to Give (Which, incidentally is mistagged on my winamp as "The Wall to Give", thanks to WMPs find album info.), A Meeting Place and Time, End of Tradition and Thrill of the Struggle.

Now I await the closure of the final Woods Chapter, which I am both excited for and saddened by.

The obligatory Rankings:
Favorite Album: Joint Woods I,II & III
Favorite Song: A Meeting Place and Time
Favorite Lyric: "I hope it’s cold, everyday, where you are..."

Hopefully, some time in the future I'll get the chance to meet David, if not, Best wishes for the future and I hope everything works out well for you.

Cheers!

Damian.

The first song I heard by WoY was "Crossing the 45th Parallel", off of the BW&BK samplers (RIP). I thought it was great but didn't actively look for more until the next sampler contained the track "Shedding the Deadwood". Not only was I blown away emotionally by the music and lyrics themselves, I was also in awe that one band made both tracks. Pursuit definitely became my favorite album over time, every listen I can feel the hurt and it hits me still.

I won't get into a long thing here, mainly because I'm late for work, but Woods has been one of my favourite bands since 2005 when I heard Pursuit of the Sun. Then I bought a t shirt and Against the Seasons, without hearing any of it prior, and just got blown away. Like Dauden, Woods 3 was by far the most anticipated release of all time for me, with The Green Album not far behind. Woods has been the sountrack to many walks in the trees/snow/rain, usually alone... but it suits the solitude, haha.
I also had the privilege of seeing Woods play about 4 or 5 times I think, and playing a show with them once last year in St.Thomas. Great band, great guys- especially David who even took the time to help me with a school project about 4 years ago- haha. (Thanks again, btw).

Favourite album: Woods 1
Favourite Song: Deepest Roots/Darkest Blues
Favourite Lyric: "It was a year ago today I put a desperate man to death. He was the man I used to be... He trusted every word you said."
Ranked (Uh, impossible?):
1) Woods I
2) Woods IV
3) Woods III
4) Woods II

My introduction to Woods was the BWBK sampler with "crossing the 45th Parallel". When I heard it I was absolutely blown away. Since hearing it, back in 2003, Woods has been, without fail, one of my favoutire bands ever. Throughout a dismal first year of university in 2005, I would spin the first two albums while grinding through seemingly endless work, and they became "how I got through homework/exams" for the year. At 3:00 AM one morning in early 2007, while finishing up a lab due at 8:30, I visited the Woods myspace to see what was up. It was then that I heard The Northern Cold and "Your Ontario Town" for the first time. I was completely floored. the previews for Woods 3 kept me coming back a couple times a day, checking if a new track was released, each of which completely blew me away.

In November 2008, I finally got the chance to see Woods live, having had every previous attempt somehow thwarted (Midterm exam in Ottawa on Day of the Equinox). It was in a basement bar in Ottawa, during the tour with Wolven Ancestry. That was my first time meeting David Gold, who was great to hang out with before the show/while the openers were playing. The show was epic, and it seemed that way for the band too. We wouldn't let them off the stage without and encore, and since they had been rehearsing woods I, Your Ontario Town, and Northern Cold, they did an encore of Ontario town a second time! It was awesome. Shortly after that, I purchased David's Warlock, perhaps the most important guitar in the history of Canadian Metal, and certainly in my own musical experience. It is an honour to have this relic hanging in my house, next to the Ontario flag it was wrapped in. In the summer of 2009, I was lucky enough to see Woods 3 times, each of which were spectacular, but the third show was definitely the most memorable. When my fiancee (then girlfriend) and I first arrived outside the Wreck Room, we ran into the band outside, who were making arrangements to move the show to the Kathedral, since the Wreck Room had closed down earlier that day. The show started somewhere between 12:30 and 1, and was so very worth the wait. That was also my first exposure to Woods IV, which again, blew me away.

My fifth and final time seeing Woods (which means that I have now seen them more than any other band) was in Ottawa this summer, for their final show of the tour at Cafe Dekcuf. Once again an amazing time, with some songs I hadn't seen live before, and a chance to see them perform with Joel from Thrawsunblat (brilliant side project, btw, fantastic debut). It was an honour to be recognized by the band talking to them after the show.

A few days later, I had arranged to add another Woods guitar to the collection, the UNREST! SG. Once again, an honour to own a piece of this band's legacy, representing the albums the Warlock did not appear on.

I could g on forever with my memories of Woods of Ypres; the responses from my family and friends when I showed them the band ("Woods of Ypres if making me like metal"), the times the music got me through the grind of engineering, the late night drives to friends' cottages fueled by Through Chaos and Solitude I Came, and so many more. I would be surprised to find another band perform such genuine, personal music ever again.

I couldn't pick favourite songs or albums, but I will quote some of the finest lyrics ever written:

"If you're not dreaming anymore, you're already dead"
"I hope it's cold every day where you are" (gives me goosebumps)
"I will continue to give to this world, knowing I may never receive"

Thanks David for a musical legacy like no other, all the best in the future, I can't wait to hear Woods V and whatever else the future holds!

-James

Got back into Woods a little after Against the Seasons was re-released. Metal Observer had an ad on their site with the album's artwork. Thinking it was super cool, I clicked it and checked out the band. I loved the music immediately; and then bugged mom to buy me the album for Christmas. It turned out to be the soundtrack to that winter. No idea how man times I listened to it that year.

Pursuit of the Sun was out of print by the time I got into the band, so I didn't hear the whole thing until I bought it a few years ago when Dave re-pressed it. That album has some of my favourite uses of acoustic guitar in metal; and the lyrics hit close to home. I hate summer.

I remember following the progress of Woods III on the forum; and eagerly awaiting it. Not my favourite Woods album; but it has some of my favourite lyrics. "Distractions of Living Alone" is one I can really relate to.

I've never really had that much contact with Dave; but we did have a nice conversation about teaching abroad on Facebook one night. He was a nice guy and answered all my questions.

It's sad to see the band break up, they were always one of my favourites ever since I got the first album. Hopefully Dave will keep making music.

Favourite album: Woods I
Favourite song: Shedding the Deadwood
Ranked:
1)Woods I
2)Woods II
3)Woods II
4)Woods IV

Looking forward to the final album. Thanks for the music over the years.

i first heard about woods of ypres a few years ago when my best friend was still living in mississauga, ontario. he was excited that there was actually a decent metal band from his area that he was able to see live. he sent me a copies of the first two albums and i immediately knew that there was something unique about this band from the moment i heard shedding the deadwood. discovering against the seasons was something that moved me in a way nothing else has musically. a meeting place and time will always be a track close to my heart, serving as the soundtrack to the struggles of more than one summer. i was also surprised to find that no one i spoke to in new york was aware of woods, even though this would eventually change as i started to turn anyone i talked to about metal, and even those who didn't, onto the band short of kidnapping them and taping headphones to their ears. every single one responded positively. the release of woods III took the band to a new level. the album itself paralleled many aspects of my life i chose not to face. however, like many others, songs like distractions of living alone and december in windsor gave me a feeling of solidarity that's difficult to explain. last october, i was hospitalized with a life threatening illness and then stuck on bedrest for months with nothing to do but read and listen to music. i was using crutches to learn how to walk again, but it's not a stretch to say my real crutch were those first three albums, and the anticipation of woods IV as i fought through that illness and the depression that came wtih it. my sickness, recovery and the changing of the seasons coincided so perfectly with the progression of albums it was scary. that event also brought back my friend back down to new york from canada permanently, which involved a lot of woods, black metal and late night drinking. you can probably guess how excited we were when we found out about the north american tour, and finally seeing the band together. seeing woods live in nyc was an absolute blast, having never been more thankful to a band for getting me through those dark fucking times. this drove me to drag everyone willing to worcester the next day to try and see them again, but i'm notorious for either not getting into (i only turned 21 in august) or getting kicked out of (caught drinking on videotape at alcest) shows, and this was no exception. even though i didn't get to see woods play again, just seeing them once and drinking and bullshitting in some random parking lot in massachusetts was worth it. as a female, young american fan of black metal, i find that many people are skeptical of any emotional connection i may have with this kind of music. however, the subject matter woods deals with and the way in which they express it, through both music and lyrics, crosses all physical and mental boundaries. i will miss woods ridiculously, and will relentlessly hunt down every piece of merch i can, but the end of the band will never change the impact the music has had on all of us, especially me, when i needed it most. i hope for success but more importantly enjoyment in all future projects, of which i hope there will be many! i can't wait to see what david has in store for the metal and musical community, and despite my sadness i cannot wait to hear woods V.
thank you so much and good luck!

"why carry this deadwood with me, when where i'm going there will be living trees?"

-bari

favorite album: impossible question, woods II and III
favorite song: a meeting place and time, shedding the deadwood
favorite lyric: i hope it's cold every day where you are (probably everyone's favorite, but who can argue)

Woods of Ypres has touched me in ways no band has. It is impossible to put into words, but I will do my best to convey the experience with these following few words.

I think it was around 2006 when a friend from Ontario sent me Woods II in its entirety over the computer via MP3 format. I remember just being completely captivated until I got to "Allure of the Earth" which is one of only 3songs to make me cry. I just broke down and wept like a child that song completely obliterated me. I immediately went out to try to find the album since it felt wrong having all the songs for free on my computer. At an independent CD store I found Woods I like a lot of other people "A Meeting Place and Time" was my favourite song off that album.
I pre-ordered Woods III at some point I don't remember exactly when. I remember getting the Fire Union(?) and being completely stoked on Woods III since "The Northern Cold" was on that. Shortly after getting Woods III in the mail I went to the same independent CD store and picked up the Woods II re-issue thus making amends for having the entire CD on my computer illegally. Woods III was yet another step up from Woods II and a lot of songs on Woods III really touched me although none of the songs totally destroyed me like "Allure of the Earth". The thing about Woods is there music has always been thought provoking and captivating its music you have to listen to its not music you can just turn on and put it on softly playing in the background. All of their albums have been the most played albums I've ever bought a lot of CD's get old, but that is not the case with Woods. Their music is always fresh and invigorating.
2008 was a great year for me I saw a lot of great bands, but the highlight was definitely Noctis Metal Fest in Calgary where I saw Woods of Ypres. I remember meeting Mr. Gold and him being the most personable down to earth guy I've ever met. SICK SHOW too their triple guitar assault almost knocked me down and tore my head off lol. I just wish they could've played longer. There were 7 or 8 bands playing that night and they were definitely the best with Verbal Deception being my 2nd favourite band of the night. I had the privilege of seeing Woods again in 2009 in my hometown. Sadly, that is a show Woods would most likely like to forget since they were ripped off by the promoter. Another great show though and Mr. Gold honoured my request and played "The Thrill of the Struggle" (arguably) my favourite song off of Woods III. I remember headbanging at the front screaming the lyrics at the top of my lungs lol great times, great memories!
Woods IV is difficult for me to talk about, but it came at one of the bleakest, darkest times in my life I had recently broken up with my fiancee and was just crushed. My life consisted of playing Woods IV over and over again and doing lots and lots of drugs. Naturally the material on Woods IV helped me to realize I was not alone and it helped to drag me out of the dark hole that I was in. The drugs at this point in my life had their claws in me very deep. Woods IV helped me to realize that their was a way out that this pain and depression that gripped me wasn't a continuous thing that it would not always abide. Although it might be hard to believe Woods IV was one of the reasons I went to drug treatment for 6 months. I am such a different person than i was in January and while I got the treatment on my own strength I truly believe that Woods IV helped to give me that strength. Woods of Ypres and David Gold truly saved my life. For that I will always be greatful and WoY will always have a place in my heart. David when you get back from wherever you are going come to Victoria and I'll buy you a few drinks. Oh... "Wet Leather" is my favourite track off of Woods IV, for some reason that song always puts tears in my eyes.

That's my journey...

- Joel

I have tried to get the words in my head into proper thoughts to try and make sense, but alas, the words elude me. Instead i will say this, Woods of Ypres has made me feel more than any band ever has. Never before had I had such strong emotions evoked by music, and i quite probably never will again.

Thank you David for enduring on to make 4 (and most likely 5) of the best albums I have ever listened to.

Good luck,

James

Thanks so much for these posts guys, and putting your heart into 'em like I did. Some really great stuff.

I've been a fan of Woods of Ypres for some years now, I can't pinpoint exactly when, but it was between the releases of "Woods II" and "Woods III". I've had the pleasure of seeing Woods of Ypres three times, in November 2008 with Wolven Ancestry and in August 2009 with Inflict, both of which were in the burial ground of Sault Ste. Marie. I've also seen David Gold during his short stint with Gates of Winter a couple of times in 2008, during the same time period where all the Gates of Winter members were in Woods. Great shows overall, and I was bummed when Woods of Ypres didn't play here on this last tour.

Their early songs always struck me as unique in the black metal landscape, in that they didn't talk about fantastical dark worlds and evil grim and frostbitten shit. They were about real things, real surroundings, and emotions, be they the forest or something else. As they evolved into doom metal, I evolved along with it. I found "Woods IV" to be a very challenging listen, but in the best possible way, thanks to it's themes, lyrics, and emotions. I can only imagine how "Woods V" will sound in full!

On my website about the Sault Ste. Marie metal scene, I've plugged and promoted Woods of Ypres very frequently since David relocated the band back here, and he's always been kind and professional to me and what I've been doing, and I really appreciated that. But beyond that, I was a fan first and always will be. The reasons and motivations of Woods of Ypres' end and David's move aren't clearly stated, but I'm thinking David doesn't want them to be 100% out there. It might just add to the mystery.

I'm glad that Woods of Ypres will have one more album, and I will surely buy it when pre-order information is announced, but it is a bittersweet situation. No matter what lineup, where they've been based, or whatever all else, I'll always be a fan of Woods of Ypres. My fingers are crossed that David stays in music though, wherever his life takes him, and maybe down the road, Woods of Ypres will return. Stranger things have happened. David, I thank you for the great music, and I hope it's cold every day where you are!

I've not posted much before, but the chance to express my thoughts on my favorite band of all time was too great to ignore.

I first heard Woods in the summer of 2005, when a friend played Will to Give on his stereo. I wasn’t immediately impressed. Despite this, I ended up getting the whole album on a whim. I had no idea I was buying the soundtrack to the next 5 years of my life.

Lyrical gems in metal are few and far between. When it comes to Woods, lyrical brilliance occurs on a line-by-line basis.

“Those shadows still remain as landmarks of failed attempts
In their shade I work away at building a tower of character”

“I knew that my arms could hold out forever
It was my mind that'd grow tired”

“Those days are gone, my heart goes on
I long for the way it used to be”

“You say that you grew up
You say that you tried
I think you took the easy way out
I say you gave up
I say you died”

“For if you're not dreaming anymore
You're already dead”

“But what good are memories with no one to stand beside you?
What good are memories if those you made them with despise you?”

Chills, every time.

I’ll keep this short, but David, I truly want to thank you for making the music that you do. To stand the test of time is special, and Woods certainly has passed that test; their Cd’s have not left my stereo in the entirety of the five years I’ve been a fan. It’s special, but it’s not uncommon. What truly sets Woods apart is the ability to test the very paradigms of metal; Woods changed my perception of what metal can and can’t be- Woods offered a blast of Northern Cold into a scene that was dreadfully monotonous-in a genre so saturated with images of death, Woods managed to be a true “expression of life”. And really, life is quite the perfect analogy to Woods’ sound. It’s complex, ever-changing, and never what you expect. But it’s a journey, and for the last 5 years Woods has made my journey through life significantly greater. Woods 5 may signal the end of the band, but for Woods' following, the influence of the music will withstand time. Because as David and Woods’ fans alike all know:

“There is no destination
There is only the journey”

Every WOY keeps getting better and better. The Green ALbum is awesome, and I look forward to the next album. So to WOY, keep making the material colorful, full of wonder and suprises... never being afraid to venture into other forests.