Anathema compared to R.E.M?

mtlstv

Metal Head 4 Life
The other day at work something happened that I think is kind of strange. I am a Receiving Manager so I work in a warehouse and always have the radio going. I bring in all of my CD's and play them all day long. Everyone there thinks I am nuts because of the music I listen too. Anyway, one morning I was playing Anathema - Judgement, thats when my boss came up to me and asked who I had playing. He is into a lot of older stuff like, Pink Floyd, 80's Rock, and some newer music too. I told him who it was and he said they sounded good. He had never heard of them before, which I expected, but he said that they reminded him of R.E.M and Pink Floyd. So, he asked if he could borrow the CD. He gave it back to me today and said that he really enjoyed the whole disc. Has anyone else heard anyone compare Anathema to R.E.M? I'd have to say that I was kind of surprised to hear that. Anyway, I guess I'm just happy to have introduced someone to the great music that Anathema makes and hopefully my manager will go out and buy all of their CD's.

i have every album released by rem and many bootleg stuff, and i can surely say they dont have much to do with anathema at all. you could say some of their songs have the same "feel," but thats all. whole different genre and atmosphere. a song that you could say has the same feel is "diminished" from the Up album. i suggest that for everyone. im sure you'll like it :)

Well... Never said that REM are not a good band. Personally I only like Automatic For The People. It is an excellent album. I don't really like the others. Just a few good singles, but never liked a whole album as much as I liked Automatic For The People. This is just my opinion though.

Anyway, take care :)

Im not a REM fan, but i have read that the rem of the mid to late 80's was a far better band than the commercialized Rem of today- thats what i read- i too have really only heard 2 or 3 songs- but danny and michael stipe do have rather sinmilar voices

If were talking about anathema band comparisons, then howabout Promised land era Queensryche, with anathema- both metal bands doing very good non metal emtional rock with a little punch?

Originally posted by speed
Im not a REM fan, but i have read that the rem of the mid to late 80's was a far better band than the commercialized Rem of today- thats what i read- i too have really only heard 2 or 3 songs- but danny and michael stipe do have rather sinmilar voices

REM is shitting also like so many other bands on commercial music..., it's true they'd been commercial

"queensryche has always been very progressive, much more progressive than anathema, even in promised land. but of course you could say theyre similar"

I don't think so, I like queensryche but anathema have definitely been more willing to push the envelope then they have. plus, unlike queensryche, anathema have'nt released any albums that are a pile of pants. If you mean progressive in terms of virtuoso playing then you might have a point. But writing decent songs beats jipping off on a fret board aaannnny day

speaking of which, has anyone heard geoff tates solo album?? it was so bad I had to beat it to death and bury it in the garden. :(

sorry pagan bud but messenger is screwed on my home pc I'll have to stick ya on the list tomorrow...when I'm all sober like :)

and no, geoffy only deserved an unmarked grave. me dog would'nt dig that cd up