And now for my summer gear rampage.....

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
Here is my first installment..... Not complete, but well on its way:kickass:

eric37.jpg

eric36.jpg

Special thanks to Brent Gutierrez for making awesome guitars, EXACTLY how you want them! My quote from ESP to do this same guitar was over $4000, and I won't say how much, but Brent did it ALOT cheaper:p

And to add on to that I bought a VH4, a ground control switching system w/ GCX so i can FINALLY have all my pedals left in the rack, an OD820, a script Phase 90, an MXR bass DI and about 15 new mics. Also needed a seven string for my future studio, so I went with a Schecter C7 Blackjack ATX. Hard to break away from ESP's, but it just looks better than the equivalent LTD 7 strings...

Now all I need is a drum set, some good mic pre's, and a new interface, and I'm golden. Also need a good 5 string bass for studio use only, any recommendations? Also need recommendations on a drum set that won't break the bank but still do ok in the studio.

Just got an update on the guitar-

eric49.jpg

Tiger stripe urban camo came out alot better than I thought it would!

Holy shit that looks incredible! +1 to wanting this guy's site, cuz while I love the Ibanez I just got, I can't deny it wasn't my first choice (which was a custom Warmoth), but pricing made it the best option at this point in my fiscal life. However, I still long for a custom guitar, and while Warmoth still looks great, I'd be interested to learn more about this Brent Gutierrez dude!

nice. Are you home for a while?

Nope, still away.... I will be home for two weeks of leave, but not until September...

edit:does this luthier have a site?
Holy shit that looks incredible! +1 to wanting this guy's site, cuz while I love the Ibanez I just got, I can't deny it wasn't my first choice (which was a custom Warmoth), but pricing made it the best option at this point in my fiscal life. However, I still long for a custom guitar, and while Warmoth still looks great, I'd be interested to learn more about this Brent Gutierrez dude!

He doesn't have a website, but he has a myspace, and also has a forum over at rig-talk.... Here you go!

http://www.myspace.com/gutierrezguitars
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

Best way to reach him is through a PM on myspace.....
I'm thinking about having him build me a single cut also(Siren), they look amazing!

Thanks dude! And I recognize one of those axes, Mike AKA Cobrahead has one of 'em (and dude, if you're reading this, bail on those HCAF tools and come back here!)

Thanks dude! And I recognize one of those axes, Mike AKA Cobrahead has one of 'em (and dude, if you're reading this, bail on those HCAF tools and come back here!)

Yep, he does indeed have one... There was someone else on here that had one also, forgot who it was though...

Nice. If I ever get a custom guitar. I'm definately leaving the tone knob out too. I like the volume knob away from where I pick as well. And definately a wider opening to the upper frets.

That's the great thing about customs, it's not that you add crap, you take away all the useless stuff you don't need! Although, I really don't need 27 frets, but they are there for me now just in case :loco:

The neck has carbon fiber braces in it, which I had no idea anyone did to guitar necks. Pretty cool shit! I never use a neck pickup when I play metal, so that's why I tossed that out. Never use the tone knob either unless I play clean, so I said goodbye to that also. Pickup is going to be an EMG85, but I may throw a 81 in their after a while... Rear cavity was routed to accommodate 2 batteries to run either 18volts, or I can do a quick rewire and run 2 batts at 9volts, to increase battery change time. Went with stainless steel frets too, first guitar I'll have owned with a decent fret job!

Cool!
I'm gonna reamp on my Diezel VH4 in the first week of july.

I can't wait to dig into the beast when I get home. I was going to buy a 5150 to add an aggressive edge to the VH4 when mixing, but I think I am just going to mod my SLO homebrew a bit and use that.... Should make for some great guitar tracks.... Are you using 6L6's or EL34's in yours? I am a 6L6 kinda guy, but from what I hear, you don't get that classic VH4 channel 3 grind without EL34's.....

I can't wait to dig into the beast when I get home. I was going to buy a 5150 to add an aggressive edge to the VH4 when mixing, but I think I am just going to mod my SLO homebrew a bit and use that.... Should make for some great guitar tracks.... Are you using 6L6's or EL34's in yours? I am a 6L6 kinda guy, but from what I hear, you don't get that classic VH4 channel 3 grind without EL34's.....

I have EL34's in it. We don't play cleans, so.... Yeah, channel 3's grind/grit is very big and huge.
I'm starting with reamping the second of july, and although i can use a 5150 and Mesa Mark 4 i wont, because i don't wanna loose the personality of the VH4.

I've never heard my VH4 with 6L6.

The neck has carbon fiber braces in it, which I had no idea anyone did to guitar necks.

Carbon fiber (aka graphite) has been used in a fair few guitar necks. Moses make whole necks out of it, and Steinberger used it too. Miller and XOX make whole one-piece electric guitars out of it, and Blackbird and Rainsong make acoustics. It's a pretty awesome material.

Wow, absolutely fantastic dude, especially the camo paint job - Brent definitely knows what he's doing!