Anders Jivarp is great!!

TheEmperor

Depraved
Dec 12, 2001
Luzern, Switzerland
yeah i think that he's a great drummer! i love his drumming on Projector, i just like his playing style very much! of course not fast as hell, but this isn't how you can measure a drummer. anyway I love this album and this is also because of the drumming.

yeah but what i meant is not about the difficulty, it's just the feeling of his drumming that i like a lot, whether it's difficult or not! hope you know what i mean, i don't really know how to explain it ;)

yeah, i know what you mean, degree of difficulty should have nothing to do with whether you like it or not, Only for the Weak, the In Flames song, simple as hell, but I love it (although many dont). Anyway, as for Jivarps drumming, I noticed it too on Projector, hes good overall IMHO,

yep, he's great, and he gives a special touch to the music. Even though I would tell you to check Mike Portnoy or Mike Terrana (specially live) to see what drumming can get.
I'm not saying Anders is a bad player, but simply no that good. I also have to say, that a virtous drummer in Dark Tranquillity would be a little nonsense (IMHO of course)

oh yes of course i know Mike Portnoy and he's a better drummer than Anders for sure. but it wouldn't be good to have a drummer like Portnoy for Dark Tranquillity, I just think that Anders fits perfectly.

i almost dislike portnoy for his complex drumming. some call it envy, but i think drumming all too strange patterns harms the song more than it would benefit. let's face it: we drummers are no solo-artists (jap except terry bozzio) and so we should try to give the songs we support the right feel, drive and so on. this doesn't mean you bash stupid rythm schemes all day long, but it is an art to pace oneself when necessary.

i almost dislike portnoy for his complex drumming. some call it envy, but i think drumming all too strange patterns harms the song more than it would benefit. let's face it: we drummers are no solo-artists (jap except terry bozzio) and so we should try to give the songs we support the right feel, drive and so on. this doesn't mean you bash stupid rythm schemes all day long, but it is an art to pace oneself when necessary.

Hehehe i suppose you do not like richard christy either? Well is not exactly the case in Deaths TSOP and Burning inside is almost as if the whole songs are builded based on the weird drumming.

but then again it matches the song. but if the drummer drums complicated things just for the sake of complexity, it's useless. i surely like bands like meshuggah, because many songs are BASED on rhythm and drums, which makes them blend with the music.

but vulture, Dream Theater don't bases on drums but on everything, and at the same time, everything is a solo!!
Complexity is (normally) the aim on progressive metal, and Portnoy suits the character perfectly. It's not the complexity in drums but in the whole structure of the songs. And well I don't know if you saw his clinic, playing just with the tape on, all alone...it's just awesome :)
Even I normally understand where ppl tend to go when talking about dream theater...I just love them