Andromeda

May 9, 2003
I have known about this band awhile but never bothered to listen to them because the name reminded me of the actual show called Andromeda. I finally listened to their album titled II-I (two is one) because the guy who gets my cd's for me finally MADE me borrow it to listen to it. Well, they are pretty good but at the same time nothing too special. I enjoyed it quite a bit but prob won't buy any of their stuff until I buy other albums that I wan't more first. Just wondering if anyone else hear has heard of them, heard them, or if they have heard them what they think of them.

II=I is a very proggy, off tempo album with the occasional burst of prog metal, I takes a lot of listens to sink in and I think it's a cool album for those who like a more technical approach. My main problem is I can't stand the singer.

Andromeda's first album 'Extension of the Wish' was a far different affair, this was a full on prog metal rush, full of great melodies and guitar/keyboard work, overall I have enjoyed this album far more than II=I and prefer it to the full on technical assault. The singer is better on this album and I only wish they'd kept him on. In my opinion 'Extension of the Wish' is one of the 'must have' albums of the prog metal scene.

Personally I don't like II=I, but before judging them, i would suggest you go listen to Extension of the Wish. Every song on it is musically amazing, and I never get sick of it. II=I has its moments, but they are too far and few between to make it enjoyable to me. Go listen to Extension, you won't regret it.

symphonyXjapan... I am quite certain you would love "Extension of the Wish"... much different... the whole album simply blazes.

Alexander TG said:
II=I is a very proggy, off tempo album with the occasional burst of prog metal, I takes a lot of listens to sink in and I think it's a cool album for those who like a more technical approach. My main problem is I can't stand the singer.

Andromeda's first album 'Extension of the Wish' was a far different affair, this was a full on prog metal rush, full of great melodies and guitar/keyboard work, overall I have enjoyed this album far more than II=I and prefer it to the full on technical assault. The singer is better on this album and I only wish they'd kept him on. In my opinion 'Extension of the Wish' is one of the 'must have' albums of the prog metal scene.

Extension of the Wish was redone with the new singer. Are you saying you like the singing better on the redone version or the singer from the original version of it? BTW, I have heard some samples of songs from Extension of the Wish and they sound about the same in it as in II=I. I think II=I sounds very much like prog metal and don't quite know what you mean by "the occasional burst of prog metal"? I do however understand what you are saying about it off tempo, but to me it is just odd time signatures which is are a factor of prog metal. I am not trying to bite at you or anything, I am just a little confused at what you are getting at.

symphonyXjapan said:
Extension of the Wish was redone with the new singer. Are you saying you like the singing better on the redone version or the singer from the original version of it? BTW, I have heard some samples of songs from Extension of the Wish and they sound about the same in it as in II=I. I think II=I sounds very much like prog metal and don't quite know what you mean by "the occasional burst of prog metal"? I do however understand what you are saying about it off tempo, but to me it is just odd time signatures which is are a factor of prog metal. I am not trying to bite at you or anything, I am just a little confused at what you are getting at.
LOL.......I made some bad grammatical errors there!

sigh..........oh well......

I've got the non-redone version of The Extension of the Wish. I love the album it's got some awesome guitarwork and keyboards. The instrumental Carnival of Chameleons(Or was it Chameleon Carnival?) is awesome. I haven't hear II=I but I've heard the title track, it's alright. I like the vocals on the first album better even if it wasn't good.

Extension of the Wish is awesome, especially the first 5 tracks.
II=I is a more classical prog metal album.
It doesn't sound as special as "Extension..."

I saw them live (with Evergrey and a french band : Rest in peace (check them out, excellent heavy/prog meatl)) in 2002 I think. They were incredible, far better from the album (and I already said that "Extension..." was awesome, so imagine the show). Don't miss them!

Andromeda rules, IMO david fremberg's voice is much better than russel allen's.
listen to encyclopedia,cast away,mirages,fragile surface -> fav songs in II=I
and the rerelease of extension of the wish is much better with him -> listen to words unspoken,album title,eclipse,in the deepest of waters

i like andromeda very much, both singers are nice, the first i really like coz his voice is unique, the second is nice too but prolly not so unique as he reminds me of the evergrey singer.

p.s. chaoticmanifesto... i love your sig :D and agree 200%

Karel: You're not alone. While II=I has its noticeable flaws, the music sounds much more developed and adventurous than on the debut, and it shows the band to be equally adept at bursts of manic playing and off-center but still melodic prog. And I don't have too much of a problem with David's vocals.

Tauredil said:
Extension of the Wish is awesome, especially the first 5 tracks.
II=I is a more classical prog metal album.
It doesn't sound as special as "Extension..."

I saw them live (with Evergrey and a french band : Rest in peace (check them out, excellent heavy/prog meatl)) in 2002 I think. They were incredible, far better from the album (and I already said that "Extension..." was awesome, so imagine the show). Don't miss them!

Rest in Peace.....Would this be the same Rest In Peace that opened for Symphony X at L'Amour last month? Cuz if so, I thought they were absolutely awful. The guitarist was good but that was the only salvagable part of the show.

I personally think that II=I is not your average prog metal recording, it's packed with odd-time signatures and more experimental sounds, most prog metal incorporates power metal to some degree this does not, but it's heaviness qualifies it as metal.

I still think the original singer (Lawrence Mackrory) was much more unique and engaging albeit only a hired gun. I read this description of David Fremburg somewhere 'he sounds to much like a beer commercial during superbowl half time specials', I couldn't agree more, totally unsuitable for Andromeda.

I agree the singer from the first Andromeda album is better, but the new singer is not bad IMO. I DO think the songs and especially the solo's are a bit better on Extension, but the weak production makes me wanna grab II=I instead :S

I heard about Extension was re-done with the new singer, but did they also fix up the production or did they just let him sing over the old version?

Holy crap! I just got the first Andromeda cd... crap! It's like a full blown blast of bad ass prog metal! I'm not a big fan of the singer (except on track 5), but otherwise it's simply awesome. My favorites are 1 and 4.

I hope II=I is as good.

-Kronikle