Andy: About those 57s you love so much

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hi Andy,

I've followed your posts on gearslutz.com with great interest. However, I've still got a a few burning questions that I thought might be better suited to your board.

Specifically: I know the 57 is your favourite mic for metal guitar. My question is, how do you deal with the top end of the signal? Specifically, the 6.5k to 10k range where it's usually spikey as hell.

Case in point: I'm running a Dual Rectifier, Marshall 1960 Lead 4X12 loaded with 75 watt Celestions, into a Great River MP2NV and usually some slight compression with a Distressor before it hits the Apogees. With a 57 on the cab, I really like the lows, and the midrange is very broad, it certainly adds some 'goosh' to scooped guitars. But the high end... man, I just don't get it. It just seems to brittle. I've been using a 609 silver with great results, and even better when it's coupled with a 57. But a 57 by itself? Do you shelve out some of the highs? Or rolloff? Maybe de-ess?

Your thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-0z-

On a 57, I have found it to be very useful taming the highs by shelving the top at right around 9.5khz, and bring it down around 2db.

Hey Oz,
looks like you nice set up going there. The search function is disabled right now so I can't link you to a thread but I recall Andy posting that he rolls off around 10khz to get rid of the fizz.

I think he's said that it depends on the cabinet/speakers as well. I.E. Vintage 30s in a Mesa cabinet tend to not have the high fizz that the Marshall cabs with different speakers do. I only have a Mesa cab so I'm not speaking from experience, but I remember reading that.

Andy Sneap said:
Yeah the cab makes a huge difference, I don't find the high end a problem with the vintage 30's.

Yeah, the Vintage 30s are high on my wish list. Yesterday they were #1, but today I got word of a Mark I 5150 going for dirt cheap in my town. Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, thanks very much for your thoughts. I'll let you know how it goes.

-0z-

Well, I made my desision and went with the 5150..... and holy crap is this thing fantastic!!!!

I've had it for about 2 hours, and doing some amp/mic side by side shootouts, here's what I've concluded:

When they say "brown sound" they ain't kidding. The top end on this thing is sweeeeet! In a direct comparison to my Rectifier (same cab, mic position & preamp) the 5150 has a far smoother top, broader midrange & tighter lows (I really like that resonance control) The Recto, on the other hand, has a floppier bottom end, non existent mids & the highs sound & feel like an icepick in the forehead! Hell, I even liked an sm57 on the 5150.... I didn't immediately reach for a hi cut on my channel EQ, either.

Well, I'm certainly impressed. I'll give it a real workout tomorrow night... and hopefully be able to post something done with it in the next few weeks.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, everyone!

-0z-