Andy, best vocal mic for US$1000

This mic isn't really considered a high end mic but I've talked to quite a few people who know what's what. If you're looking to add another mic look into the Studio Projects C1 ($200). It gets compared to the U87 quite favorably. I've talked to some sound guys who actually put them up against one another and said there's minimal difference between them (not too mention many reviews I've read about it). I just thought I throw that out there. I own one myself and love it to death (of course it's the only mic I own). I think if you're looking to expand the versatility of your studio and you're on a budget this would be a great mic to look into (or if you just want to go on a flyer). I've got some links to my tunes in my sig. The vox and acoustic guitar where done thru the C1 thru and the m audio audiobuddy preamp (I realize the preamp has a lot to do with it so take my shit with a grain of salt, but the audiobuddy is supposedly a very transparent pre). There's minimal eq on em simply cuz I don't know much of what I'm doing yet.

Actually, I belive the 57's sold without a windscreen now. I could be wrong but that's how I've seen em advertised (also from personal experience, the big muff eats tone and the windscreen doesn't). But anyway, if you're recording vox, just put up a windscreen. It shouldn't affect the tone. Only stop the puffs. But I can't think of a reason not to use one when recording vox.