Andy Sneap lay Dying !?

Mendel

Lag Arkane
Jun 11, 2005
The Netherlands
www.mendelb.com
yoo andy,

I've been wondering a thing for really months !!!

what amp is on the album Shadows are Security from As i Lay Dying ?
and how did you get that sound. it's on of the most nice tones i've heard !

well cheers dude,

Mendel.

yea dude that is a sick tone, i got the cd when it first came out cus my boy works for trustkill. when i put in that album for the first time and the intro riff came on, i received chills in my spine. had to be the work of mr andy. when i saw them play 2 months ago, they pulled everything off so perfectly. as a matter of fact, i never took them seriously because i didn't think they would deliver the way their records do, but they did, even the solos to the last note, with a few extra bonus notes!

i got a (stupid) question for andy or whoever can answer it. this is an awkward question and i don't even why i'm asking but pretty soon youll learn that i'm an odd/quirky guy as most of you guys are too. . whats up with the pinch harmonics? as i lay dying never tried to do the pinch vibrato thing (the really cool one that petrucci does all the time) until that album. then when they do it, it sounds awkward, even live. i beleive they do it ONCE in a song and thats it! perhaps they are one of those bands that arent SPECTACULAR at their instruments individually but when they gel together, all HELL breaks loose?

what did they also just quit doing dissonant chords? i think all these bands that were riding the wave of metalcore took that wave to the top and found themselves playing REAL metal shows, with REAL metal bands and now they are forced to grow their hair and play REAL metal songs, dropping the baby hardcore nonesense. its cool, i just observe and listen, i'm on neither side, i just love music, especially when you mix it just right in milk!

hahaha yeah there are some bands who are typical not good in making music and IMO i think it's time for something new. no saying there should be a new genre of music, but some new bands who are just good, people say trivium are the new metallica, i don't agree, but still like them a bit !

anyway andy . .the tone !! tell us

I think the newest and most refreshing thing that came to metal in the last few years (even thought they have been around for awhile) has been Lamb of God.....they have brought pure metal back to the for front why putting there own twist on it.....great stuff if you ask me....

And from the looks of things I have a feeling Mendel might agree.....

Andy Sneap said:
Tube Screamer, Krank Revolution, Boogie Cab and a 57.

I soooooo can hear the tube screamer in there......god does it sound great

chadsxe said:
I think the newest and most refreshing thing that came to metal in the last few years (even thought they have been around for awhile) has been Lamb of God.....they have brought pure metal back to the for front why putting there own twist on it.....great stuff if you ask me....

And from the looks of things I have a feeling Mendel might agree.....

+1

+1

so true, LOG REALLY GIVES SOME NEW STUFF !!
i just love them, best band !!
and that video as the palaces burn . just damn . .. .to good

Mendel said:
+1

+1

so true, LOG REALLY GIVES SOME NEW STUFF !!
i just love them, best band !!
and that video as the palaces burn . just damn . .. .to good

The writing these guys do is what really attracts me to them. Very orginal but still not over experimental. There drummer is also great at writing his drum parts. He actually plays his instrument instead of just beating on it in the same old fashion over and over.

chadsxe said:
The writing these guys do is what really attracts me to them. Very orginal but still not over experimental. There drummer is also great at writing his drum parts. He actually plays his instrument instead of just beating on it in the same old fashion over and over.

I definately wouldn't call As I Lay Dying original. Seems like every metalcore band in the states is doing the exact same thing. Their first album came out before this fashioncore/metalcore fiasco hit the Midwest (in the US) and it seemed a little more unique, but ever since that time, I've seen nothing but terrible ripoff bands trying to emulate their sound, or sweet bands that do it way better. Anyways, sorry to bitch, or contradict your opinion.. just sayin' theres a lot of this shit out right now, and although AILD does it well, they definately aren't really pushing any boundaries.

Andy Sneap said:
wasn't he talking about Lamb Of God?

Correct.....

I would consider As I lay Dyings writing great for there genre....but nothing ground breaking....

Good example of the Revolution in use. That sound is very "Swedish" to me...would be at home on a Dark Tranquility or In Flames record.