andy sneap: records to a seperate system drive or external drive?

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
hoping to get this question answered:

does andy sneap record to a seperate system drive (a drive plugged into the motherboard's sata port, with nothing on it except for audio / session files)

or directly to a external drive
(limited band width)

and furthermore, what do YOU do?

please also state the daw you're using if you reply! thanks!

How come nobody seems to be using e-SATA for external drives? Is FW still considered better for audio?

I use an eSATA drive. It was horrendous trying to find a setup that worked with no problems, but I got it all figured out now(my MB eSata hardware caused problems, went with a separate card and had problems, found another PCIe card that works great). I'm sure it would catch on more if eSATA ports were a standard, but they aren't. It's alot easier for someone with a Mac or PC to just plug into their fire-wire port.

I´m using logic 8, MBP with lacie Express card, and lacie eSATA HD.
Works great, never had any dropouts....and it is SUPER STABIL!!!!

But for audio Firewire 800 is just totaly fine

Internal IDE 7200rpm and external USB2 7200rpm. It works up to a hundred tracks or so, above that it's time to consolidate/bounce the edited audio. ;)

Two internal SATA drives running in RAID0 configuration. I've never recorded straight into an external drive. I never trust the ports on the computers enough to sustain connection (they tend to be flimsy), and even less trust for some retard in the band not to go along and unplug it with his foot. For instance the USB slots on the front of my case have started to drop out due to the usb cable dipping slightly, and I've lost files mid-transfer that way.