Anette

I don't know if any of you have read Metal Hammer's issue on Nightwish (if you haven't, you can go see it on the official English forum, Joana kindly posted it there). I wouldn't worry too much about it, because it's a bad interview, but this part Anette said caught my eye.

She said that a woman in South America went up to her and told her (because the woman was a Tarja fanatic) that she wanted her to be shot in the head in front of her son.

Like, what the hell, man? :OMG:

That is sick. Anyone who would say such a thing seriously needs help. I wouldn't even take something like that seriously, except then I remember what happened to Dimebag Darrell.

If you don't like Anette, don't go to Nightwish concerts. Pretend they stopped existing after End of an Era. Is it really that hard?

God this is never going to end...

A review of the LA shows by a Finnish woman cast some light and finally made me understand the problem. Finns and Swedes are VERY different people despite being neighbors. Finns are very dour and gloomy. 60 Minutes did a story on them several years ago, basically portraying them as the most miserable people on the planet. It reflects in Nightwish's music, too. 'Century Child' is downright miserable. Look at the lyrics to "Dead Boy's Poem" and "Dead to the World." Tuomas was 26 when he wrote those songs. That's pretty damn morbid.

But the Swedes have a much happier, cheerful outlook. So to replace Tarja with a chipper, upbeat-sounding woman who comes off as the third woman in ABBA is a jarring change. That's why old songs seem odd.

There's an old joke that says white people can't sing the blues. Up until Stevie Ray Vaughn came along, that was certainly true. Blues was born from black people in the south during Jim Crowe days who would draw on the oppression and racism of the day. That gave it the urgency and emotion. So getting back to Nightwish, Anette just doesn't work on the older music not because she lacks Tarja's range but because she doesn't have the dour Finnish nature.

Anette works much better on the new album because Tuomas is in a much happier frame of mind now. The misery brought on by Tarja and Marcello is long gone and there is harmony in the band. It reflects in the album. "Imaginaerum" has a happier tone and Anette's chipper persona fits it perfectly. So maybe she will brighten his mood.

That said I was really let down that the LA show included virtually no older material. I still want to hear "Come Cover Me," even if Anette can't hit those notes.

And THIS is why the majority of Tarja fans scare me. Because the ones who are totally devoted to her...it's like a religion. If anyone wanted to know why Tarja fans generally scare the hell out of me, this is a simple answer.

THey will fade away. As Nightwish's popularity grows, they will become so marginalized they will disappear.

As for the stupid woman who made that comment to Anette, that's why most bands are scared of South America. Those fans are insane.

A review of the LA shows by a Finnish woman cast some light and finally made me understand the problem. Finns and Swedes are VERY different people despite being neighbors. Finns are very dour and gloomy. 60 Minutes did a story on them several years ago, basically portraying them as the most miserable people on the planet. It reflects in Nightwish's music, too. 'Century Child' is downright miserable. Look at the lyrics to "Dead Boy's Poem" and "Dead to the World." Tuomas was 26 when he wrote those songs. That's pretty damn morbid.

But the Swedes have a much happier, cheerful outlook. So to replace Tarja with a chipper, upbeat-sounding woman who comes off as the third woman in ABBA is a jarring change. That's why old songs seem odd.

There's an old joke that says white people can't sing the blues. Up until Stevie Ray Vaughn came along, that was certainly true. Blues was born from black people in the south during Jim Crowe days who would draw on the oppression and racism of the day. That gave it the urgency and emotion. So getting back to Nightwish, Anette just doesn't work on the older music not because she lacks Tarja's range but because she doesn't have the dour Finnish nature.

Anette works much better on the new album because Tuomas is in a much happier frame of mind now. The misery brought on by Tarja and Marcello is long gone and there is harmony in the band. It reflects in the album. "Imaginaerum" has a happier tone and Anette's chipper persona fits it perfectly. So maybe she will brighten his mood.

That said I was really let down that the LA show included virtually no older material. I still want to hear "Come Cover Me," even if Anette can't hit those notes.
I never really thought of it that way, but you know, Century Child is by far my least favorite Nightwish album (not that it's bad, it's just not as good to me as the others), and a big part of that is because it is so gloomy.

I strongly suspect that Tuomas is what psychologists call an INFP personality type (introverted, intuitive, feeling, perceiving). That personality type, which is only about 1 percent of the population, is very emotionally-driven and very demonstrative of their feelings. I don't think any other personality type could have produced some of those Century Child songs, or Poet and the Pendulum for that matter.

Imaginaerum is different lyrically than anything they've ever done before. Very different than what I expected, but an amazing piece of work. If he is an INFP-type, something has happened to change his outlook 180 degrees in the last several years. If Anette had something to do with making a musical genius write more positive music, then God bless her.

So getting back to Nightwish, Anette just doesn't work on the older music not because she lacks Tarja's range but because she doesn't have the dour Finnish nature.

I'm sorry but this is so anthropologically wrong @_@ There's no such thing as the "dour finnish nature", there are social differencies indeed between swedes and finns, but I wouldn't call a people's culture "nature". But then, to say that "Anette doesn't fit CC's songs because she's from Sweden" doesn't make any sense either. Personality isn't up to coutries, nor cultures. Lifestyles might be, but personalities and voice colour? not really.

^Maybe Michele can clear this up better for us, as she's a Swedish-speaking Finn and gave me a lot of insight as to the differences between the two cultures. She actually mentioned to me once that getting Anette was a very ballsy move for Tuomas in many ways because of this.

If you want my personal opinion, 60 Minutes should not rely on stereotypes, because a majority (if not all) of the Finns I have met are easygoing, friendly people. :D

Melisan: Tuomas told us in the interview that the band has rehearsed older songs like "Come Cover Me", and they will probably add them here and there to the setlists as time goes on, but they're just going to stick to this particular setlist for the first part of the tour. So maybe by the time they come back, we'll get to hear a few older songs in rotation at the shows. :)

They're gonna preform "Come Cover Me"?? Wow, really? :lol:!! That's awesome!!
We'll have those Tarja stalkers complaining again, but who cares anyway? :D Way to go! This is one of my favorite NW song :)

^Don't get excited yet; Tuomas just told us that those songs have been *rehearsed*. He did not say that they would for sure add them to the setlist. He said it was possible that those songs might get put in the setlist at a later time, but he did not give a guarantee. He also mentioned that they tried rehearsing some other songs like "The Wayfarer" that just didn't work out for the rest of the band. So you never know what they will pull out of the vault. I would think the band likes to keep as much of it as surprise for us fans who are anticipating a live show.

I strongly suspect that Tuomas is what psychologists call an INFP personality type (introverted, intuitive, feeling, perceiving). That personality type, which is only about 1 percent of the population, is very emotionally-driven and very demonstrative of their feelings.
That's just psychobabble for water spirit hun. :lol: Hence the term "Ocean Soul." Those who identify with the water element work based on feeling. As opposed to say, an earth spirit, (I'd peg Jukka as one) who is dictated by logic and sense. To someone like Jukka, if something can't be seen or proven, then it doesn't exist. But to Tuomas, if it makes you feel something, then it's real, just a different type of real. Waters work on an entirely different plain than other types. Earths are stable and reliable, they like things tangible. Winds are flighty, but wise, always on a quest to learn, to develop their minds, what they feel isn't as important as what they know. Fires are aggressive and loyal, but don't tend to read much into things, they just pick a side and fight to the death. :lol: Waters place all emphasis on the soul: logic takes a backseat to intuition, they're gentle to a fault and when crossed tend to fight with words as opposed to fists. From his pacifism, to his deeply emotional lyrics, to Master Passion Spite. :rolleyes: Gentle, passive, artistic and spiteful (water's vice)- Tuomas is the quintessential water spirit, an Ocean soul indeed.

^ :lol: Is there a mysticism thread here anywhere? :oops: We could have all kinds of fun in there as this is a tad off topic for here...

Quoted for truth. ESPECIALLY the highlighted portion. It is what I said after DPP was released. The same can be said for Imaginaerum. This is a much different band than the band that made Once, and this addition was by subtraction, and then adding a different element to the mix.

^That's actually funny, because Tuomas has Moon in Pisces, which is a Water sign, and Pisces is deemed as a very sensitive, emotional sign. But I should probably keep my astrology discussions out of this, as I have a tendency to get long-winded about it.

Pisces is also the most influenced by other signs in their chart. Where is his Venus and Mars, house and sign? I don't have a good natal chart program any more or I'd run his chart for myself.

I'm sorry but this is so anthropologically wrong @_@ There's no such thing as the "dour finnish nature", there are social differencies indeed between swedes and finns, but I wouldn't call a people's culture "nature". But then, to say that "Anette doesn't fit CC's songs because she's from Sweden" doesn't make any sense either. Personality isn't up to coutries, nor cultures. Lifestyles might be, but personalities and voice colour? not really.

Well here is the story, with Finns themselves admitting it.

And this is the article I mentioned from the Finnish woman. What does she say?

"Holopainen describes the mentality within the band as one that allows everyone the right to do exactly what they feel for their stage shows. There are no predetermined choreographies or routines. He wants each member to feel that they can be who they are. He does recognize Anette’s more cheerful disposition and “Swedish” tendencies, but he (and audiences everywhere) greatly appreciate her lightheartedness and the color she adds to their otherwise more solemn Finnish style."

Last edited by a moderator:
Melisan: Tuomas told us in the interview that the band has rehearsed older songs like "Come Cover Me", and they will probably add them here and there to the setlists as time goes on, but they're just going to stick to this particular setlist for the first part of the tour. So maybe by the time they come back, we'll get to hear a few older songs in rotation at the shows. :)

They better. I won't go see them again if they repeat the Key Club set list. "Come Cover Me" was my favorite before "I Want My Tears Back" came out.

^Well, like I said a few posts back, there's no guarantees, but I wouldn't think the band would go through the trouble of rehearsing songs if they didn't intend to play them somewhere down the line. ;)

I hope you go to the shows in L.A.; I really hope we can meet up next time!

Pisces is also the most influenced by other signs in their chart. Where is his Venus and Mars, house and sign? I don't have a good natal chart program any more or I'd run his chart for myself.

Tuomas isn't a Pisces; he's a Capricorn with a Pisces Moon. I will open an astrology thread so we do not get off-topic here.

I cast astrology charts by hand; I don't use computers except for calculating longitude/latitude 'cause I suck at math. So I have no problem with getting those stats for you. However, I cannot get his ascendant, as I don't know his time of birth.

Anyway, on to open an astrology thread. ;)

I have to say that even though I didn't like the way Anette sang the old-era songs at first (and some songs she still doesn't pull off to my satisfaction) I never thought of her as fake. It's just that she's so fundamentally different in character from Tarja.

^This. How can anybody say that Anette is fake, when we even don't know her? A. and T. are 2 totally different women and comparing them is pointless.