Anette

I realize I'm probably not adding anything new to this thread, however, Anette and Tarja are two different people with different vocal styles and, ultimately, they're both masters of their own craft; I think comparing one to the other is silly and, ultimately, leads to a lot of wasted energy that could be used towards other more useful (and better) things!

Couldn't of said it better myself! :)

Since my opinion on this debate has already been repeated various times; I rather not sound like a broken record and say the exact same things.

There are a lot of good valid points made about Anette in this thread, and I am so glad people are so open minded; willing to respect the women for who she is!

Unfortunately it's sad to see how people are STILL ripping on Anette after all these years (i.e. Youtube)

I wish people would just give it a rest already... :/

It seems like some fans just need to take out all their frustrations and disappointment with the band on Anette. And even after her stellar input on "Imaginaerum", it seems that some just can't move on.

^ Yes, it's very annoying. Especially given that she and Marco put in more effort than the others this time around. Tuomas wrote the lyrics or course, but I'm talking about the music here. The boys are all just sitting back and letting the orchestra do 90% of the work for them while they just tip-toe around it by playing the most simplistic parts possible. Anette and Marco's vocals are really the only parts of the band itself that shine on Imaginaerum. Some of the songs do allow the band to take center stage, but most of the time they're squashed by the orchestra. Such a waste of such talented musicians... It's a great album, but it's not by Nightwish, it's by the London Orchestra - featuring Nightwish.

^Yeah, I love the orchestral stuff, but it seems that the band is getting drowned out more and more with each album. I am hoping that the next album will be a little more "stripped down", or not feature as much orchestra. I mean, you can tell from the earliest Nightwish albums that the intention was always to incorporate orchestral elements, but I think there is such thing as "too much of a good thing". :lol:

Just wanted to say, going back to the topic of Anette, I've really loved all of her outfits this tour so far. Even the stranger ones. I love that she is not afraid to experiment in regards to her style within the band and on stage. I love that she isn’t afraid to take risks!! When you think about it, she really must have a strong character to stand up to the scrutiny, criticism, and downright bullying that is constantly aimed at her.

Just wanted to say, going back to the topic of Anette, I've really loved all of her outfits this tour so far. Even the stranger ones. I love that she is not afraid to experiment in regards to her style within the band and on stage. I love that she isn’t afraid to take risks!! When you think about it, she really must have a strong character to stand up to the scrutiny, criticism, and downright bullying that is constantly aimed at her.

I agree with you completely. I might not love the outfit that she wore at the Moscow show, but at least she has her own style and won't compromise. I wouldn't be able to do the same, I mean take risks and face the negative comments. How easy wouldn't it be for her to copy Tarja's style, which was/is great btw. She'd still be facing comments of how she's copying Tarja's style etc. I guess she just realized that "to hell with it" and kept her own style. The only thing that she seems to give in to is the hair color; she'd want to keep it blond herself.

I agree too; I think I said something similar in one of the earlier pages of this thread. I like that Anette isn't afraid to be herself, and that instead of trying to "fill Tarja's shoes", she's making her own place and doesn't seem to care what other people think.

That's true, you mentioned it before too. Personally I like Anette's outfits better on this tour, (so far at least) than what I've seen on youtube of the DPP tour, but the music on the new album is so much different than on DPP so I think that might be a reason why Anette has chosen a "new" style if you will. I haven't read her blog but I'm sure that the new album and the "Imaginaerum" movie have contributed to her style on this tour.

I think the style she chose for this tour is quite reflective of the movie and the whole carnival/circus-y theme they have going in general. I quite like it. :) However with the new theme she has going, the style still feels very much like Anette - it is the sort of clothes she loves, perhaps slightly exaggerated for the stage, but nonetheless it is based on her preferences and what suits her personality too.

Anette's done a fantastic job on Imaginaerum and I know a lot of things come down to personal preferences, but if people are to this day, after listening to Imaginaerum, saying she cannot sing or cannot sing metal, they are willingly deaf, blind and stupid and probably deserve a punch in the face. It's amazing to see how she's improved singing live too, but again, some people are willingly deaf and they just nitpick at any flaw they can think of, even non-existant ones.

It's amazing to see how she's improved singing live too, but again, some people are willingly deaf and they just nitpick at any flaw they can think of, even non-existant ones.

I couldn't agree with you more! The Live Concert Footage that Nightwish has been posting on their Facebook page recently; keeps blowing me away! Anette has improved greatly! I'm happy for her! I was very impressed to see a recent "Nemo Acoustic verision" they did in Jyvaskyla, Finland; it was beautiful!

That was the song that got me into Nightwish, as I discovered them late in the game, but it has always stuck as being one of my favourites!

When the "Dark Passion Play" Tour started; the videos I'd watch- of her singing Live were atrouish! She used to butcher a lot of the originals; especially Nemo.... but her voice when singing that song now, sounds great! :D

I couldn't agree with you more! The Live Concert Footage that Nightwish has been posting on their Facebook page recently; keeps blowing me away! Anette has improved greatly! I'm happy for her! I was very impressed to see a recent "Nemo Acoustic verision" they did in Jyvaskyla, Finland; it was beautiful!

That was the song that got me into Nightwish, as I discovered them late in the game, but it has always stuck as being one of my favourites!

When the "Dark Passion Play" Tour started; the videos I'd watch- of her singing Live were atrouish! She used to butcher a lot of the originals; especially Nemo.... but her voice when singing that song now, sounds great! :D

THIS THIS THIS.

Seriously, I noticed her vocals improved insanely when the DPP tour resumed again in 2009. And now it seems as though she started at that caliber and is continuing to get better. I give her props for jumping into such a manic tour and only really having one meltdown that we saw. I mean for someone who isn't seasoned at touring.. I'm sure many many many others would NOT have made it.

THIS THIS THIS.

Seriously, I noticed her vocals improved insanely when the DPP tour resumed again in 2009.

Was just gonna post this.

You watch vids from 07-08 and then watch vids from 09 and it's night and day. Romanticide is her best old era song (imo) and according to wikipedia, they didn't even add that til 09. What that tells me is that not only did she find her groove but that the band put her in better spots to succeed. Out with songs like "Wishmaster" and in with songs like "Romanticide".

Was just gonna post this.

You watch vids from 07-08 and then watch vids from 09 and it's night and day. Romanticide is her best old era song (imo) and according to wikipedia, they didn't even add that til 09. What that tells me is that not only did she find her groove but that the band put her in better spots to succeed. Out with songs like "Wishmaster" and in with songs like "Romanticide".

Yes - and they started doing Ghost Love Score with Anette.. which she was a bit nervous about at first, you could kind of tell, but by that last show in 09.. she was nailing it. I'm still mad they don't have that on the setlist now! Maybe later.. I hope. I know that's probably blasphemy to some, but I really love her version!

I always thought Anette's best 'old era song' was/is 'Come Cover Me:' it's a song written for her voice. Next to that, I consider 'Romanticide,' 'Higher than Hope' & 'Sacrament of Wilderness' as her finest moments. Nowadays, she sounds bloody fantastic and thumps up for 'Planet Hell.'