Anette

I've been listening to her versions of Come Cover Me and it's one of my favourite "old era" songs she does. While I think that to a degree, neither Tarja nor Anette truly capture the sensuality of the song within their performance, I immensly enjoy what Anette does with it, especially towards the end of it, that gentle head voice (I think it's head voice, lol) she uses...it's really emotive, alluring, perfect for the song.

Look what Nightwish uploaded on YouTube!!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNeU88p8Zg&feature=g-all-u&context=G296e7d9FAAAAAAAAFAA[/ame]
I personally think that Anette is getting better and better each day and this song sounds better with her. Haters gonna hate! :headbang:

Look what Nightwish uploaded on YouTube!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XNeU88p8Zg&feature=g-all-u&context=G296e7d9FAAAAAAAAFAA
I personally think that Anette is getting better and better each day and this song sounds better with her. Haters gonna hate! :headbang:

tiger-woods-fist-pump-o.gif

Holy mother of God… o_O

I have always liked Anette, but even I at one stage doubted how much she could improve singing live, especially the pre-Anette songs, due to a number of reasons. I mean there was her age which can definitely have an impact on vocals, as well as the fact that she never went through really rigurous formal musical/vocal training like Tarja and other female singers have. However, now I have no doubt that Tuomas and the guys chose well. Anette may not have the greatest voice in female-fronted metal, nor the most unique (however I suppose that is quite subjective), but what I do see now is incredible passion for what she does. Incredible passion and an incredible drive to improve and to succeed. Anette is showing us that she CAN do it, that her place in Nightwish was not secured just because she was a nice little lady who could get along with the guys, but because she has a rocking voice, great attitude towards life, towards work and towards improving herself so that she brings her all to Nightwish.

*Ahem*. Fangirly rant is fangirly, but I am truly amazed right now and at this point, nothing any Tarja-obsessed, "Anette cannot sing!!!11one!!1", "BRING BACK TARJA!!!!111one!1" fool can change my mind. Go ahead, say she's not a "metal queen" like Tarja was, say she's off-key, not emotional enough, too happy, too poppy for Nightwish, but as far as I am concerned, you can go back to the basement you crawled out of, fuck yourself and drown in your wilful stupidity. Anette wins, you lose.

Rant over.

Someone wrote somewhere that Anette has a 3-octave voice. And someone answered that no way does she has a 3-octave voice. Well I think she has. At least she sounds great and that's all that matters. But I'm still wondering about all the really bad things that they write about her, that she's fat, ugly and sings like a Karaoke singer. No matter how much you love Tarja and want the pre-End of and Era time back, you still have to admit that Anette has a good voice.

Why do people care so much about what octave female singers are? There are some male singers who have very low voices, very "rough" sounding voices yet the music they make WORKS because they know how to use what they have well. This is what Anette has done with Imaginaerum. She has been given the chance to use her voice well, to show her strengths as a singer and to me, she has done it marvelously. Why the fuck does it matter if she has a 2, 3 octave voice? Hitting ridiculously high notes does NOT automatically make for good music. There's some singers who can sound incredible when they sing high, but at other times they go so overboard that it grates on one's nerves and ruins a song.

I think that perhaps, Anette can hit three octaves whilst practicing/vocalising, but with the singing technique she uses it is more difficult to hit higher notes in an actual song, especially depending on the melody. High notes or no high notes, to me she sounds very, very good lately. She seems a lot more confident and it shows through in her voice. She is also more consistent, less raspy/shaky and she has a dynamic voice which makes for good storytelling. She can go from crazy/cheesy witch in Scaretale to emotional, gentle, soothing and down to earth in ballads like Turn Loose the Mermaids, to a low-range, sexy and seductive performance in Slow, Love, Slow. To me a dynamic voice is better than a "look at how high I can go, look at me show off!" type of voice because this isn't something you can always learn.

Also I think Anette looks fantastic these days and she's working very hard at improving her fitness and her body so kudos to her. :) If this is people's idea of fat, there's probably something wrong with them.

I'd say it's almost certain Anette has a 3-octave range. She's also a soprano, which a lot of Anette-haters can't seem to get, because she doesn't sing like Tarja. She has a soprano range, higher up, and the way that Tarja sounds is because of her classical training and the way in which she's been taught to sing. Tarja has a soprano range too...in fact I wouldn't be surprised, frankly, if Tarja and Anette's ranges, in terms of the notes they can actually hit, were pretty similar. I'm sure Tarja can go higher, but Anette can go lower. In terms of the actual range, though, since they're both soprano, they are probably pretty similar. Just the style is quite different.

And yeah, Anette has been doing a phenomenal job, both on this latest album and for the whole tour so far. She's been a huge strong point and is one of my favourite singers right now.

@Mooki: Yeah, well, society's view of "fat" and "thin" and "fit" is pretty distorted. If you're not totally ripped, you're not really that fit. If you can't see your collarbones sticking out, you're not really thin. If you have any body fat that shows through clothes or is visible, you're chubby or fat. That's pretty much how it is in the cut-throat world of fashion and beauty, and it trickles down to everyday life, too. I feel sorry for the people that feel that strongly about other people's weight. In any case, Anette's pretty fit from what I've seen - wish I had her discipline, frankly.

I hate it when people say someone isn't a soprano because they do not sing in a classical manner. Seriously man, if you're going to try and sound all high and mighty at least do some research first. I have no musical talent in my body whatsoever, but at the very least I can do minimal research to at least sound like I know what I am talking about. -___-

@crimrose: I don't know why people care so much about her weight anyway, especially the ones saying her "extra kilos" are bad for her health. Wow, I didn't know some post-pregnancy weight can totally give you kidney failure and heart attacks despite the fact that one is clearly keeping fit through exercise and diet! =D To be honest I think she looks fabulous and the curvier look makes her seriously sexy, imo. So her shoulders/arms aren't perfectly toned - meh, at least she's putting effort in to change something she's not happy with which is probably more than can we said for all the idiots who still look for the smallest flaws in her to criticise and blow out of proportion.

I wish I had her discipline too. I want to be fitter and more toned, but I cannot imagine myself putting in the amount of work that she does, or even half of it! I'm such a lazy bum. :(

To me a dynamic voice is better than a "look at how high I can go, look at me show off!" type of voice because this isn't something you can always learn.

Agreed; I'd rather a singer know their limitations and do their best with what they have, than to try and fit into someone else's expectations of what they should be. This is why I like Anette, because she has never tried to "replace" Tarja. She has done a damn fine job incorporating herself into the band and becoming as important a member of the overall dynamic as Marco or Tuomas. For argument's sake, if Tarja did come back, and she would have to sing the Anette-era songs live (not that this would happen, but this is just a 'what if?' scenario), I doubt she'd be able to pull of a song like "Slow, Love, Slow" in quite the same way.

As far as Anette's looks...come on, if she were a guy, would people even be having this conversation? Hell, Robert Smith from the Cure even admits that after touring, he "lets himself go" and is quite overweight whenever he starts a tour, and then ultimately works it all off and is skinny again by the end. But I never hear anyone say "oh look, Robert Smith is so fat, he sounds terrible!" So until we can have this kind of criticism towards male singers as we do towards female ones---pardon the pun---this argument doesn't carry a lot of weight with me. I'm going to a concert to listen to the band play and to the vocalist sing, and I could care less if Anette was 500 pounds and looked like Homer Simpson in a mumu, so long as she sounded good and gave her all to the performance.

But I also realize that there are those who just want to hate Anette for whatever reason, and will use any excuse under the sun to do so.

Honestly, if Anette is "fat", I would love to be that fat! :lol: Hmm, maybe they meant she's "phat" instead (Pretty, Hot, and Tempting)? :D

No the comment actually was "fat, ugly, old, and a Karaoke singer".... I agree that if Anette was a man, we wouldn't have this conversation at all. I'm just wondering about people's animosity towards Anette. But then again, I read somewhere that Ann Wilson also got a lot of comments about her weight so if people really want to put down Ann Wilson because she's heavy, they they're going to do that to Anette as well. Just sad.

If Anette can look as good as she does in tight leather pants, she is not fat. :p

That's true about Ann Wilson; she's one of the most amazing female vocalists of all time, yet it seems whenever she is mentioned in a sentence, no one can never mention her voice without bringing up her weight. And that's really sad because there are a lot of male singers who are obese, or a little on the chunky side, and no one ever says a thing about them.

Of course Anette doesn't look like those rediculously skinny models or actresses, but calling fat someone who is able to run regularly 3-6 miles several times a week and does threadmill and goes to gym...

I'd rather call her extremely fit. :D

I have to worry about the state of someone's braincells when they mention she could have heart/kidney problems because she's gained pregnancy weight. It's like they're suggesting she's gained enough weight to be a contestant on the Biggest Loser, for fuck's sake. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering what it does to a person to read this kind of shit that some people write on youtube. Even though Anette seems to have a healthy self-esteem, it still hurts to read bad things about the way you sing, the way you look, the way you dance etc.

I'm sure it does, but I think that over the years one can become more comfortable in their own skin, learn about themselves to a greater extent and that way they know their own strengths and weaknesses well so that the immaturity of others does not affect the quality of their life very much. I mean if Anette could get through the exhausting DPP tour and show such vast improvement in her abilities now, she's obviously learned to focus on herself, her own needs, her strengths, weaknesses that need to be fixed, etc etc. If that is the case I am sure she's mature and intelligent enough to distinguish between valid constructive criticism and useless, immature bashing. The criticism she can use to improve herself (and if she's as much a perfectionist as she and the band says, she'll probably know her shortcomings before others) and the stupidity she can laugh off.

I mean logically, why should it affect her? She's found her place in NW, she has a good, comfortable relationship with the guys, she's more accepted as the singer of NW by fans, old and new and the music community. She's fit, she works at keeping herself healthy, she gets to travel the world, she has two lovely boys and a lovely partner (she's not married again, is she?) and she has plans and goals outside of NW which she isn't afraid to go after. She's achieved a lot in a few short years and what have those internet warriors, immature "Tarjaholics" and "tr00 metal" fans that bash her, done with their lives between 2005-2012? If one can judge by their behaviour online, they have done nothing at all and their lives must be pretty fucking miserable if they cannot move on from an issue that is so insignificant to them personally. They must be pathetic people if they cannot focus on what they love, but continue to pour energy into things they hate. If anything, she should pity those people, not feel bad about herself.