Anime

Malleus said:
Any recommendations for a beginning anime collection? Just ordered Akira and Fist of the north star, what else should I buy? (I've watched Ninja scroll so many times I won't bother getting it for myself).

Dude anything in the Macross family is great I Love Macross Plus :)
Macross 7 is really good too Also grab up some Fushigi Yuugi I have just started to watch this one and its pretty fukin good and then theres X awsome movie thats all I can think of for now

Whoops, I guess I didn't spell check that. It was just a quick review I jotted down in an attempt to win a free anime DVD.

Also, why was that to good not to comment on? Maybe had it been humorously ironic...but it wasn't.

Anyways, I just got Princess Mononoke and Metropolis, anyone seen them? I loved P.M., but I don't quite know what to make of Metropolis. Something about the mix of traditional animated characters and computer graphics.. Just doesn't seem "right".

Whoa, I'm missing a great topic. I've been an anime fan for 5 years or so now. Berserk is probably my favorite. Another good series to check out is RahXephon. Kind of like Evangelion, but better, IMO. I'll also follow suit and say that Scryed is a sweet series. The Ghost in the Shell series, 'Stand Alone Complex' is pretty good too, from what I've seen so far.

Oh, by the way, I now fucking hate Wolf's Rain. I finally finished it not to long ago. Worst ending to a series since fucking Sienfield. I completely regret anyone that actually took my recommendation on this series.

Hmm.. I like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Ghost in a Shell .. (but I don't like animes where everything is just "cute" and absolutely overdone .. :zzz: )

besides, is there anybody who draws animes/mangas (or who has tried..)? :)

I have done some doodles. But since I'm an immature pervert it's only hentai and not fit for public forums.. Don't have a scanner either, and NO fucking way am I askin' my mom to scan any of it at her job :D

Caillac said:
Hmm.. I like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Ghost in a Shell .. (but I don't like animes where everything is just "cute" and absolutely overdone .. :zzz: )

besides, is there anybody who draws animes/mangas (or who has tried..)? :)

yeah there were alot of people who saw the reaction of people in the west's(the americas and europe) towards the manerisms in some anime and just capitalized till thats all anyone thought it was. not helping were the pre-teens who supported that crap with their lives.. i know a couple of these myself.. in a couple it was rather funny like the endings of um i forget the name it has that parn guy and the elf and the crazy dragons. those were hilarious!

Caillac said:
but I don't like animes where everything is just "cute" and absolutely overdone

I like both styles, actually. The "cute" style often looks childish, I'll admit, but it allows for very emotional character expressions. Particularly the oversized eyes can really enhance an expression. Gotta love the eyes..

Malleus said:
I like both styles, actually. The "cute" style often looks childish, I'll admit, but it allows for very emotional character expressions. Particularly the oversized eyes can really enhance an expression. Gotta love the eyes..

i agree, it sucks that very few people know the real purpose of the large eyes and just pass it off as "cute".

Skippy said:
best anime film, hmm i would say Princess Mononoké if only for the stunning art work and animation

I'm inclined to agree, and I think the story is good too. I like how there is no real badguy, just conflicting interests. The whole "in harmony with nature" thing can get a bit much though.

My sister is such an Anime freak of all kinds that has turned me off to Anime a lot. Im not saying theres not a lot of good anime out there, but there is way too much insanely crappy anime and stupid anime freaks out there. As far as I'm concerned, the best anime is Akira, and nothings gonna top it.