Anime

Sep 14, 2007
Sweden
Favourite series/movies? Too many people have gotten their perception of anime from stuff like Sailor Moon and Pokemon. Would be fun to see if there´s some people here who knows that there´s anime that contains much more depth/intelligence/darkness than kids shows like those.

For those who would like to try animes that fits in my description i can recommend the series Ergo Proxy. Watch 1 episode and you´ll get hooked,at least i got. It´s a dark futuristic anime that takes up stuff like depression and how society has become totally soulless because of the modernization of man.

Another good one is Basilisk,which takes place in feodal Japan,and the story´s about two clans that must kill eachother to not get killed by the emperor. It´s a beautiful story,also containing a kind of Romeo and Juliet plot. And the drawing is completely awesome.

Movies i can recommend are Grave Of The Fireflies,which takes place in Japan at the end of WWII. It´s about two children who has lost their father in battle and their mother in the bombing of Kobe. Great movie about loss.
Another great movie i recommend is Ninja Scroll. If you love samurai´s and splatter and blood in general you´ll love this movie. The best action movie i´ve ever seen.

Would be fun to hear other recommendations as well.

Ninja Scroll was cool, as was Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Grave of the Fireflies was a great movie.

I think Akira was overrated. Cowboy Bebop: The Movie was pretty good.

Another really good movie in the vein of GotF is Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke was very good also.

I tried a few series (like the Ninja Scroll one) and I really couldn't get into them. I heard Samurai Champloo was very good and will probably watch it sometime. Trigun was also underwhelming.

I'm probably not the one to take recommendations from as I tend to get aggravated with the weird little sidekicks usually thrown in. I like mine more serious and bloody.

Ok i havent seen the Cowboy Bebop movie. But the series are awesome.
Basilisk fits in quite well on serious and bloody. :)
Have you seen Elfen Lied? That series is fucking sick,about the cutest girl with pink hair and light voice who can dismember people with mindpower:)

Naruto I think is very fascinating. America butchered it to death with the horrible voice acting.

Yay an anime thread, I have seen 150+ series. :d
I think Ergo Proxy was pretty good, but it never really went anywhere, got kinda boring when they got out on the trip on the hovercraft.

Best animes ever is hard to say because there are so many different genres. My all time favorite will always be Azumanga Daioh though. If you haven't seen it DO IT, simple but genius.

Other favorites includes:

Hunter X Hunter
Last EXILE
Full Metal Alchemist
REC
Hikaru No Go
Black Lagoon

Psychonaut: I never understood people who says Akira is overrated (especially if you read the manga) and then praise Ninja Scroll. That movie was pretty bad, I mean the only thing it has going for it is alot of blood and naked girls. I can find that in alot of better animes.

Mattsson: If you like Elfen Lied try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni it is not really similar at all but it also has cute girls and lots of blood and torture. Very creepy and alot of wtf moments because you get lured into the "happy school-life anime" pace, which is not really what the anime is about.

Edit: For good anime movies, try the Lupin III movies. Especially The Castle of Cagliostro.

Higurashi no Naku Koro seems interesting,will check it out!

Yeah Hunter X Hunter is one of my favourite series too. I like that it´s kind of slow,it´s very atmospheric.
Black Lagoon i have seen about four episodes of but then i heard that it isn´t finished or something like that so i skipped it.

Black Lagoon is finished now atleast. Two seasons with 12 episodes each. Watch it through, I probably liked the last episode the best. :)

I didn't read the manga. I think I liked Ninja Scroll so much just because it was one of the first anime movies I saw. I thought the inclusion of all the blood and nudity was cool as I really had never seen it in an animated movie before. I probably just didn't "get" Akira. I don't know. I am far from educated in the world of anime.

I agree about bleach, the beginning was pretty boring, then when they got to the soul society and the Captain fights started it totally ruled. Then the fillers started and I stopped watching, not sure if it is good again nowdays though.

Hellsing is great
Trigun, jigoku shoujo, FLCL(this one might not be serious but its funny and still good) claymore, etc.
I'm not a big anime fan but I might now a little about it.