annoying cpu usage

dani

beat defective
Sep 12, 2008
hey guys, was wondering if you could help see what is going on here.

currently i get some weird CPU usage issues, i think it's related to soloc, but i really can't tell for sure (these problems don't exsist if i don't use soloc, but i'll explain).

ok, so on a project, i have 2 tracks, both running soloc, 8505, re-eq, and gate. and usually, vst performance will sit like this (all screen shots are during playback);

performance2.PNG

(keFir runs on a group channel)

everything is fine and dandy. except sometimes. CPU usage will spike, and this will happen:

performance3.PNG

the sound will go all garbled and it all goes gash (the little vst warning light flashes on and off too).

i decided to try running this project on my PC, which is much slower. didn't have a lot of plugins installed on it, but i was able to 4 instances of those plugins, stably.

performance1.PNG

playback was fine, and CPU usage stayed like that all the way through.

this is where it gets all a bit gay. back on the first machine, i can turn off all the instances of soloc and 8505, and it still spikes like this.. :/ however, spikes only start appearing after i add soloc.

specs of the machines in question:
first 2 screenshots;
macbook pro, 2.16ghz, 2gb of ram, 320gb hard drive, ATI X1600 Mobile Line 6 UX8

last screenshot;
AMD 3800+ single core, 1gb of ram 2x Geforces 6800 Ultras (SLI, bitches :p), 200gb hard drive, line 6 UX 8.

this issue happens with any ASIO driver.

anyone got any ideas on what's going on?

ahh, i'll give it a go. i'm not sure if this would explain the problem's intermittance.. but it's something i haven't tried, so i may as well!

thanks,