Another clip

I agree on the vox, but everyone has already said that so...

I woulg turn the guitars up a bit, but maby that will sort itself up when you fix the vox.

and I agree that the kick should be fuller and less clicky.

Sounds very clean man, congratz!

Good job!!

Like everyone said, and i will say it again just to be sure.. :) the vocals are indeed too loud in the mix.. someone mentioned cranking up those guitars.. i could not agree more.. i really like what you have done with the guitars.. really thick crunch in em... turn those mothers up a bit..

I think the biggest thing to improve is the just to tone down the volume of the singer a bit, and mess around with the volumes of the guitars a bit..

However, might you want to consider turning up the guitars, it might be worth looking into the drums a bit.. they could, if needed though, need some pressure behind them.. but that's minimal..

Love the mix man.. kudos!

Frank'nfurter said:
Sorrry, don't hit me, but to be honest the vox are to loud and the overall mix has no punch. Maybe the problem is solved if you turn lower the vox a little bit.

The vox are too loud, and I also feel that the mix has no punch to it although I can't put my finger on the problem (my sub standard psuedo-mastering is not helping).

I'm going to re-mix it soon (all these mixes are just experiments to help me get back into engineering after a bit of a break), I'm going to go for a more 'rock' drum sound next time using the original kick (that's Andy's sample used purely for convenience).

Brett, I'll check out that 'verb plugin although I already have some problems with processing power (my 2.8ghz, 1gB laptop keeps dying on me mid-mix). As soon as I get my copy of DP I can finally move over to the iBook and drop another gig of ram in it.

About cranking the guitars up, are you guys sure? With the vox out of the mix I think they sound fine...I'll have another look though.

Razorjack said:
About cranking the guitars up, are you guys sure? With the vox out of the mix I think they sound fine...I'll have another look though.
Yeah, that's why I said it might sort it's self out after you fix the vox. It'sprobably just the vocals getting in the way. Brilliant guitar sound, BTW.

Then forget about Ambience, it sounds very very good but it's the heaviest CPU reverb I've seen so far... About the lack of punch, I'm not sure boosting the guitar would help... Quite the contrary... Boost the kick, the snare (compress) and the bass instead, and Eq the guitar a bit differently maybe (am I the only one to find them a bit fizzy and distant ?). But you said it, this is just a rough mix... So no worries...

I agree about the guitars. They're a bit fizzy and somehow don't have enough growl.

The snare sounds a bit boxy to me. Less lower mids maybe and more upper mids and highs. Also, compared to Andy's snares (e.g. on Godless Endeavor), it lacks attack. OTHO, this might not be the kind of sound you're going for.

Otherwise, good job! I wish I could do a rough mix like that in just one hour. The voice sounds especially beautiful.

For the drums I was aiming for a sound more like the drum sound on James' Daath mixes, to me the TGE snare would definately not work for these guys.

The guitars are still the POD XT patches I used for tracking, which would explain some of the lack of power in the mix and is definately responsible for the fizz you guys are hearing.

On the next mix I'll mess around with re-amping using the POD, I have a few patches that might work better (incl. a really nice Bogner Uberschall patch would sound great with these guys).