another lionheart review

saxon747rock

Oct 19, 2003
york
Visit site
Below is another lionheart review which i found on the net, and its another good one. Take note all those Rock/Metal mags out there, exp kerrang. :worship:
Reviews

Saxon - Lionheart - [SPV]

There's something about Saxon that commands extreme loyalty from their fans, and being one, I can safely say that Lionheart really managed to move me and strengthen my loyalty to the band.
The pioneers of the NWHBHM, they have always made good music, apart from some weaker release in the early 90's, the band has maintained its dignity and strength, yet, somehow, never reaching the amount of success reached by such fellow vetran rockers such as Iron Maiden.
That has to change, while Maiden's output for the last ten years or so has been mediocre at best, Saxon actually put out four of their best albums during this time, starting with the Unleash The Best, then Metalhead, later Killing Ground, and now Lionheart.

A few changes this time, the drums are handled by the ever dependable Jorg Michael, Ex- Stradovarious/Running Wild/Headhunter (Etc. Etc.), following Fritz Randow's leaving, and the sound was done by the great Charlie Bauerfeind, a master of the craft of sound, the album benefits from both changes, truly amazing drum work, with much more complex rhythms then before, and fantastic, crunch-filled sound, which makes the music sound even heavier then before.

The album roars into action with Witchfinder General, a true powerhouse, great riff, fast double-bass drumming, and Biff's vocals never sounded this good, Man And Machine has a more hard rock riff, with a modern spin on it, and it's another great track.
The title track is 80's heavy metal at its best, epic, melodic, and containing patriotic British lyrics and imagery, telling of King Richard the Lioneheart, as he was known, England's hero of the crusades, and that leads me to another thing that makes me love the band so heartedly, being of British ancestry, their lyrics are the most blatantly patriotic in metal, and tracks such as English Man'o'war , telling the story of a British war ship, very much similar to last year's film, Master And Commander, managed to move me and stir the British patriot within me…

Beyond The Grave is an epic, dark feel track, dealing again in the life-after-death subject that the band deals in from time to time, as in Unleash The Beast's Circle Of Light, and Metalhead's Sea Of Life.

Justice is a great track, one of the band's heaviest to date, great riff, cool high pitched vocals in the chorus, next track, To Live By The Sword is another fast track, also benefiting from a great riff,

Searching For Atlantis is another epic, diverse track, showing off the band's panache for writing larger than life metal songs,
And the last track, Flying On The Edge is a simpler rock track, more reminiscent of the band's 90's efforts, yet done with such conviction that it works great in the over whole context of things.

Saxon keep on making great music, and as log as they are making albums, I'll continue buying 'em!

Alon Miasnikov

Another lionheart review found on net, a small but very good review.

Lionheart
Saxon
(SPV)

Saxon come from the same New Wave of British Heavy Metal-era as Iron Maiden, Def Leppard and Diamond Head (faves of Lars). Unlike Maiden, they have not drifted off in power-prog, but stuck to what they do best. They still play straight ahead British metal and are proud of their roots at that. This is unapologetic stuff that goes for it, no holds bared. With songs like the title track, 'English Man o' War' and 'To Live by the Sword' you know this is macho denim & leather to the core. Even the opened 'Witchfinder General' grabs hold and gives a good shake. Much like Motorhead, Saxon do what they do best and don't try to evolve. Pedal to the metal, hair down, foot on monitor to the max. Saxon deliver the goods once again! What else do you need?

Rating: 4/5

Another review of the net This website gives 1The year 2004 is shaping up to be one the healthiest years in
nearly a decade for out-standing hard rock metal releases!
I for one am extremely thrilled that the resurgence of hard rock is -
finally in full swing!

With a couple of new bands - namely: Brides Of Destruction
and Velvet Revolver releasing excellent debut platters, the flood -
gates have finally opened up as a number of ‘Legend’ metal acts
have thank-fully made a - welcome return with some of their best product since their glory days! Metal “Icons” such as, UFO, Motorhead, Scorpions, Krokus and Monster Magnet have all released brilliant – ‘come back’ albums that are up their with their past, better efforts.

Well, it pleases me no end to report that one of my all-time favourite ‘Legend’ bands, SAXON
have also come up ‘trumps’ with their brand new CD, "Lionheart”.

This is Saxon’s 21st album release – which also marks the bands’ 25th anniversary! Yes, their first ‘self-titled’ album was way back in 1979! Pretty amazing - isn’t it?! There will be people reading this who’ve never even heard of SAXON asking themselves, who? 25 years? 21 albums – but I’ve never heard of them?

Well you can’t help bad luck – seriously, in Australia SAXON have had very little exposure of any kind in the mainstream media with the exception of a few film clips on late night T.V. and that was in their mid 80’s hey-day. With vocalist, Biff Byford and guitarist Paul Quinn being the only original members left in the line-up the now veterans of 10 years, bassist Nibbs Carter and guitarist Doug Scarrett have earned their stripes. Now we’ve had a little history – let’s get down
to business.

So does this new album live up to expectations? Does a bear shit in the woods?
The answer to both these questions is a resounding – YES!

Biff & the boys have released their most consistent, fluent, fired up studio release of their lives – no shit! While their last CD, “Killing Ground” ( 2001) had it’s moments it was last year’s 2 disc DVD, “ The Saxon Chronicles” (2003) which features the band filmed ‘live’ on stage at Germany’s Wacken festival in 2001 that really proved what most of us already knew, SAXON are a great hard rock metal band. While never ascertaining the heights in popularity or mega sales of their fellow country men - Judas Priest or Iron Maiden who also exploded from the NWOBHM era – Saxon, to their credit have hung in their, delivering their brand of rock regardless.

The biggest difference that strikes you when you first listen to the new CD is the drumming.
New skins-man, Jorg Michael - ignites the band with an energy and fire that they haven’t had in ages. His ability is up there with, Scott Travis (Judas Priest drummer of 14 years) – this boy can double kick like a demon. He has given SAXON an adrenalin shot in the arm, the exhilaration can be heard in the songs and in the band as a unit. The production is great with everything sounding, sharp, crisp and most definitely heavy – in overall feel.

There’s plenty of meaty riffs that would satisfy even, Jabba The Hut and there are numerous tasteful solos by Scarrett and Quinn who have become a formidable team. The CD features 11 songs and I can’t fault any, best tracks are also hard to pick but personal favourites are the blistering, Witchfinder General and Live By The Sword both featuring breakneck speed double kick drums.

Big riffed gems are, Man And Machine, Justice, English Man O War and the standout song for me is, Beyond The Grave – a fuckin’ masterpiece! The title track starts out like DIO’s ‘Holy Diver’ then picks up tempo and is a modern day ‘Crusader’ epic. Rounding out this package, Justice and Flying On The Edge also contain excellent riff-a -rolla.

Like the above mentioned bands who’ve released great records this year, SAXON - too deliver
a very fine CD that is worthy of being included in this year’s TOP 10 - 'albums for the year'!

If you never heard of them then this album is a very good introduction to one of the world’s finest hard rock acts.

- 10/10 (Mervin Tipping)0/10 for the album.