Another tracking mix

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
So, after recovering from a week of residential recording with the bands singer I have finally thrown another tracking mix on the net. The song was posted in scratch form a while back and I have kept the forum up to date with the progress of the recording, this is everything bar bass outro and final keys. The mix is very basic mostly panning and level setting, no real EQ going on apart from on the O/H's and guitars. There has been no editing so there are a few things here and there that need tidying up.

Tech details:

Vocals - Double tracked
Shure SM7 -> useable preamp -> Waves RVox -> Rverb
Guitars - POD XTLive w/TS-9
Bass - DI into Amplitube ('Driven 1x15' preset)
Kick and Snare - Andy's samples (quicker for tracking)
Toms - MD421
Hi-Hat and Ride - Rode NT5's
O/H's - Neumann KM84's

Opinions on the mix are welcome, as are opinions on the music (even though it's not my band).

http://www.chimera-productions.co.uk/new_album/Armistice.mp3

hi andrew.. drop me another email aoon. as for the mix.. guitars up and keys down is the first thing that pops into mind. vox sound good.

hey Razorjack , what does Waves Rvox actually do to the vocal track , and how do u set it ( it's one of the waves plugins i don't understand the functions for ) ? and how do u set ur Rverb ?

i usually just put vocal plate preset on and add according to taste , but would be interested to see how u did it

by the vox sound really good , same as what james said above.

the main guitar lead should be in the centre though ? or is that what the band wanted ?

A Toolish Circle said:
hey Razorjack , what does Waves Rvox actually do to the vocal track , and how do u set it ( it's one of the waves plugins i don't understand the functions for ) ? and how do u set ur Rverb ?

i usually just put vocal plate preset on and add according to taste , but would be interested to see how u did it

by the vox sound really good , same as what james said above.

the main guitar lead should be in the centre though ? or is that what the band wanted ?

There are two different guitarists hence one either side, also the mix is nothing like the final mix, this is just for tracking purposes.

A Toolish Circle said:
hey Razorjack , what does Waves Rvox actually do to the vocal track , and how do u set it ( it's one of the waves plugins i don't understand the functions for ) ?

I'm not Razorjack, but RVox is a very simple to use vocal compressor and gate with only two controls: thresholds for gate and compression.
All other "invisible" parameters are adjusted automatically, so you can get a decently compressed vocal instantly... Great tool!