Arch Enemy cover, guitar tone (New Project)

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
So, I've started a new project, it's the heaviest stuff I've done and I've had great feedback from the other guys involved about the guitar tones I've chosen but I'm looking for opinions from other AE fans and engineers so...

Specifically I'm after thoughts on the guitar tone, it's quad tracked with a guitar that cost me £30 (Vantage Les Paul rip-off that has real '74 Gibson 'buckers in :headbang: ). What do you guys think?

Burning Angel intro

We are working on orchestration for the track, with full strings and piano and may not be including bass for this reason so bear that in mind when you listen to the clip.

The lead guitar is out of tune. The tone is too solid-state sounding for my taste.

Yeah, the lead guitar is out of tune. But about the tone, I think its just too 'straight' and digital/solid state sounding for my liking. It just doesn't have any tubey raunchyness about it. I know AE are big on the huge mids, 5150 sound, but that to me just felt like an imitation. Too much mud, not enough balls, imo.

The guitar tone is good i think, but lacks in low-mids and is a bit flat to my ears :)
If there was a bass it would fill that maybe tho, but i'd like the guitar to be bigger anyway :)

needs some more balls in the tone that's fo' sure, and a little less gain to tighten it up.........but again the lack of a bass doesn't help the low end of the guitars.

The obvious thing is that you're missing the wah on the leads. Sounds a bit bag-pipey if you don't mind my saying. The rhythm guitar tone is pretty good but the snare sound is too 'boomy' and not crisp enough.

Guitars sound good.. the lead is out of tune, but that's just me repeating what's allready been said.. :)

More mid would be nice.. and they could use some more volume in the mix.. but that's probably not important right now..

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
I don't understand why. :cry:

With a full string section (incl. double bass and celli) AND bass from the piano parts there may be too much going on in the low end.

Burny - That's my POD XTLive, with Big Bottom and Criminal patches. I'm probably going to replace the BB patch with my rectifier patch to give it more mids, I'll wait and see how the tone sounds with the other guitarists guitar.

To everyone who mentioned the out of tune lead, it was only a tone test so I didn't see a point in giving the guitar a full set-up and new set of strings!! (Which is what it needs after a year of neglect)