Tracking drums with compression

Gomez said:
There's also a compressor made by smart research called C2 which is similar to the SSL comp but has few more features.

Yep, got 'm. If I wanna hear comp then I use this one and a Focurite 3.
Have also a Manley VarMU. This one I use when I don't wanna hear the comp. Is more subtile.

Btw. In live recordings: Don't mess with the sound. There is no way back.:yell:
Studio is different. While recording I use comp on bass and vox....always

I use compression during tracking to get my drum sound just a little closer to what I want to hear at the final mixdown. This could potentially free up compressors during the mix, or more than likely just add a little flavor and/or consistency to the drum performance, leaving one less thing for me to have to worry about during the mix. Basically, if it sounds good, why not do it?

~BURNY~ said:
Mmm... I don't think quantization is the best argument here. The supposed quality increase won't be very significant unless the drummer isn't good at keeping his playing under control. But I may be wrong.

The greater dynamic range will allow for better processing, it's a fact that more bits means more information and for processing more information means better sound quality.

Whilst most people won't hear the difference, when you are in the final year of an acoustics/digital theory degree you get kind of anal about these things.