another worship music review

gerardomosh

May 9, 2006
Anthrax
WORSHIP MUSIC

It’s been a very long road for Anthrax with WORSHIP MUSIC. There was the Dan Nelson experiment that failed miserably. Allegedly, they reached back to their old standby John Bush to record this album, and he turned them down. There was talk about going out and finding yet another singer. Finally, they seemingly settled on recording the album with longtime vocalist Joey Belladonna; a decision that felt like a consolation prize to Belladonna for putting up with the rest of the band’s shit for so many years. For a lesser band, they would have just called it a day. At a minimum, a lesser band would have just scrapped this material and wrote a new batch of songs as a unit. For whatever reason though, Charlie Benante and Scott Ian decided against this, choosing to somehow shoehorn Belladonna’s sound into material written for a much more Bush/Phil Anselmo type singer. A formula for failure, right?

Wrong! WORSHIP MUSIC is, without question, the metal album of the year in my eyes. For Anthrax, I’ll make a blasphemous statement and say it’s the best album they’ve ever done as a band. The music is great, but more noticably is the absolutely brilliant vocal work of Belladonna here. He’s simply adapted his voice to what was written here, and the results are a much deeper, stronger and appealing sound for him. You have to really give the lion’s share of the credit to Belladonna here for completely moving away from his signature sound throughout WORSHIP MUSIC. Yes, it’s still Belladonna and no, he’s not moved into death metal growls or anything like that. Instead though, he’s come down in register vocally to add a does of grit that he’s never shown on an Anthrax album or solo. I’ve gone back and listened to previous albums, and it’s really kind of amazing how different this is vocally without trading out the Anthrax sound. To hear him on the albums two best songs, “I’m Alive” and the stirring “In The End”, you get a brand new dimension from Belladonna that’s never been there before. Joey kills it on this release.

That’s not to say that the rest of the band doesn’t. In fact, WORSHIP MUSIC stands as the strongest writing Anthrax has ever done because, for the first time ever, they’ve actually merged the styles of the two major eras of the band into one unified sound. In the past, a few notes of any song and you would know if it was “Bush Era” or “Belladonna Era”. For WORSHIP MUSIC, you really have hybrid material here. While WORSHIP MUSIC doesn’t have much in the way of AMONG THE LIVING thrash, it does have some here and there. “Earth On Hell” fits that bill. In other places, you get a lot of that hard rockin’ Bush vibe. Songs like “Judas Priest” and “The Devil You Know” fit that bill really well. The sheen of WORSHIP MUSIC though comes from the stuff that intermingles both eras of the band, or breaks new ground for them depending on your stance on it. “I’m Alive” is, to me, the strongest song these guys have ever put together. It’s a mid-tempo tune with powerful, alluring vocals over top a hook filled chorus and music that doesn’t try to be extreme to simply fit the “Anthrax” mold. In fact, that may be the feature that separates WORSHIP MUSIC from any other album. They’ve written an album that doesn’t try to be Anthrax. They aren’t trying to wedge in super heavy breakdowns anywhere. No forced guitar lines. None of the patented silliness they always like to stick into their releases. WORSHIP MUSIC is simply a focused, powerful effort from these guys. I’d content it’s the most focused and within themselves that they’ve ever recorded.

CHRIS AKIN KNOWS THAT ANTHRAX – WORSHIP MUSIC SCORES 98/100

I know that some of the diehards out there will not like this at all. WORSHIP MUSIC really doesn’t have much in the way of 900 mile an hour thrash going on in it. It’s not likely to sit well if listening to it back to back with Exodus’ EXHIBIT B. I’ve been accused of being a shill for Anthrax and specifically the Bush-era of the band. Fair enough. This is better than that material, which I absolutely love. Maybe it’s because it’s just new, but if I could keep one Anthrax album and never hear another one again, this is the one I’m holding onto. WORSHIP MUSIC is a true comeback album from a band that was pretty much dead and buried. Well done, gentlemen!

its funny how the bush era fans are loving this album even with joey on it. the thing that sucks is nobody is saying this is a thrash album. so that really sucks for people like me that were hoping it was.

this reviewer also says he loves the bush era albums. so right there that doesn't give this review much credibility in my eyes.

but fuck i really can't wait to hear it they are certainly getting some good publicity out of it

but i just love how joey is getting so much praise. this surely is shutting up the joey haters. so for that alone i am glad of the positive reviews. all the bush era lovers had said how joey lost his voice etc etc. this certainly must be hard to swallow for the joey bashers!

1) there are no Joey haters on this board. Their are some people who prefer Bush over Joey and, maybe sometimes come off sounding like Joey Haters after people like you piss them off.

2) I don't remember at any point during the last few years of them making this record that anyone involved in Anthrax said it was going to be a "Thrash" record.

3) Agreed. This band needs good press and I too can't f'n wait for this album.

4) seriously dude their are really no "Joey Bashers," their were reunion bashers who thought the reunion was a step back (which it was), but that's neither here nor there... because in the end we have what sounds so far to be a fucking killer Anthrax album coming out, can we end all the Joey vs. John bullshit already and just be happy for the new album?!?!?

Music aside, the one thing I really hope for is that the label gets behind the album and gives it a big push. Bush era Anthrax truly suffered from labels either treating the albums as an afterthought or just straight going under. I think Nuclear Blast is a great fit for them. Not that this album is going to sell a million units but at least it should get the push that, by the reviews, it seemingly deserves.

It sounds like they did a smart thing by putting a mixture of all Anthrax era style music on one album. I'm thinking it should please most fans in general.

It sounds like they did a smart thing by putting a mixture of all Anthrax era style music on one album. I'm thinking it should please most fans in general.

Agreed...
...and yes - I don't hate Joey (been fan since the beginning) - I just think John is better.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

T:)
btw. why Maidenboy has that picture of King of Apes as his signature?

1) there are no Joey haters on this board. Their are some people who prefer Bush over Joey and, maybe sometimes come off sounding like Joey Haters after people like you piss them off.

2) I don't remember at any point during the last few years of them making this record that anyone involved in Anthrax said it was going to be a "Thrash" record.

3) Agreed. This band needs good press and I too can't f'n wait for this album.

4) seriously dude their are really no "Joey Bashers," their were reunion bashers who thought the reunion was a step back (which it was), but that's neither here nor there... because in the end we have what sounds so far to be a fucking killer Anthrax album coming out, can we end all the Joey vs. John bullshit already and just be happy for the new album?!?!?

I could sign under that. I am not a Joey hater, I just think he doesn't sing too good, especially live, his voice is thin and stage presence silly and cheesy. All the praise he gets for his vocal job on this new album is cool, I am still not convinced though after the two songs I've heard. Still think his vocal is the weakest link on it. On the other hand, him singing on the record probably helps the hype around it, you know, "the big comeback" and stuff, press just seems to love this.

its funny how the bush era fans are loving this album even with joey on it. the thing that sucks is nobody is saying this is a thrash album. so that really sucks for people like me that were hoping it was.

this reviewer also says he loves the bush era albums. so right there that doesn't give this review much credibility in my eyes.

but fuck i really can't wait to hear it they are certainly getting some good publicity out of it

but i just love how joey is getting so much praise. this surely is shutting up the joey haters. so for that alone i am glad of the positive reviews. all the bush era lovers had said how joey lost his voice etc etc. this certainly must be hard to swallow for the joey bashers!

Thrash Metal this, Thrash Metal that...........blah, blah, blah. Is that all there is to metal????? You know that repeating yourself in the hope of a better outcome for yourself is the definition of insanity right? Grow up IMFAN09.:yow:

Thrash Metal this, Thrash Metal that...........blah, blah, blah. Is that all there is to metal????? You know that repeating yourself in the hope of a better outcome for yourself is the definition of insanity right? Grow up IMFAN09.:yow:

Yes I am a fan of Thrash metal. That is why I liked Anthrax from the beginning. Anthrax were a Thrash Metal band and that is what they will always be known for.

Apparently I need to grow up since I like Thrash Metal. I know when people get older they start to lose interest in more extreme styles of music, which is obviously the case with Scott and Rob playing with Fall Out Boy members. But even though i am older I still love Thrash Metal and will always wish that Anthrax would once again put out a great Thrash Metal album.

Yes I am a fan of Thrash metal. That is why I liked Anthrax from the beginning. Anthrax were a Thrash Metal band and that is what they will always be known for.

Apparently I need to grow up since I like Thrash Metal. I know when people get older they start to lose interest in more extreme styles of music, which is obviously the case with Scott and Rob playing with Fall Out Boy members. But even though i am older I still love Thrash Metal and will always wish that Anthrax would once again put out a great Thrash Metal album.

For a guy who claims to hate hates you sure got a lot of hate and issues.

Are you one of those people who walks back to record stores or mails iTunes Store and demands the money back because the music you bought isn´t true enough?

Myself, I'm curious to hear Joey sing "New Noise". If I don't like the product I'll listen to another band or start one myself and write music I like.

For a guy who claims to hate hates you sure got a lot of hate and issues.

Are you one of those people who walks back to record stores or mails iTunes Store and demands the money back because the music you bought isn´t true enough?

Myself, I'm curious to hear Joey sing "New Noise". If I don't like the product I'll listen to another band or start one myself and write music I like.

I have taken back a CD before, back before you could hear it first. So yes I suppose I have done that. If it sucked I would take it back.

I don't use Apple products, so I never use Itunes.

Most bands I would certainly move on with but Anthrax naw. They have been a big enough influence in my life that I can't just ignore what they are doing. I have spent a lot of $$ on their cd's, tshirst, concert tickets to just walk away. Though I did ignore most of the John Bush era. And if this new album sucks as bad as the john bush era CDs then yeah i'll probably lose interest and write them off...again. But for now im here and am not going anywhere despite how badly most of you want me to!

I have taken back a CD before, back before you could hear it first. So yes I suppose I have done that. If it sucked I would take it back.

I don't use Apple products, so I never use Itunes.

Most bands I would certainly move on with but Anthrax naw. They have been a big enough influence in my life that I can't just ignore what they are doing. I have spent a lot of $$ on their cd's, tshirst, concert tickets to just walk away. Though I did ignore most of the John Bush era. And if this new album sucks as bad as the john bush era CDs then yeah i'll probably lose interest and write them off...again. But for now im here and am not going anywhere despite how badly most of you want me to!

So out of interest do you go on the Metallica boards and piss and moan as much as you do on here?

You need lessons in reading comprehension............nothing to do with your taste in Music more to do with your offensive stance with your "opinions". I love Thrash too by the way, but love variety more............it's not the "Be all and End all" for me.