ANTHRAX 5/22 Key Club L.A.

kittybeast

Apr 20, 2004
Always Somewhere!
Sunday nite at the Key Club in Los Angeles. Sold out show and the place at 7pm is packed liked sardines downstairs!! Knowing this from the sold out Danzig show we attended there, we made dinner reservations upstairs and had a quaint little table center stage.

I cannot remember the name of the opening band, but for sure wish there wouldn't have been one. They were okay, but there sound is just not going with what you're getting ready to be pummeled with by Anthrax. After finishing dinner and having access to the schedule by peeking at the soundboard, we know we have time for a smoke.

9pm and they play a little movie kind of like Behind the Music or a where are they now. By this time the crowd is getting excited and anxious as they know next up comes ANTHRAX. Here comes Ian onstage and the crowd goes wild, then Bello, Spitz, Benate and Belladonna. Belladonna grabs the micstand and the place goes apeshit as they break into Among the Living. The next few songs Metal thrashing mad and Armed and Dangerous are full of cutouts in sound and a bad p.a., in between the songs the crew is switching cables, micstands and anything else they can to figure out the problem. Sound engineers are going crazy, people are handsignaling and yelling to fix it! After 3 or 4 songs, they finally fixed the sound problems.

Anti-Social's next and the pit is swarming, crazy mad! Fans are able to make it onto the stage thrash about a bit, then dive back into the crowd. At one point a kid gets onto the stage and just starts madly headbanging..belladonna is trying to hold him down to get him to sing with him, this kid is going so crazy he has no idea what Belladonna is doing, then poof, he's off like a mad man stagediving back into the crowd!

The highlights of the show for me were Medusa, Indians, A&D and I'm the man. I was disappointed they didn't play Belly of the Beast, In the family, but overall the set list killed!!! :headbang: :headbang:

Scott Ian being the usual dickhead he is said something that pissed me off and he got a couple shouts of "Asshole" from the crowd because of it.

Belladonna's introducing everyone and when he's done Ian's saying something like Anthrax has been around long time, thanking everyone, talking about the fans, oldschool pits, etc. then he says "And now I'd like to welcome to the stage Neil Turbin................................................NOT!" What a little, egotistical, selfcentered, little prick mofo!!! He has no respect for what Neil brought to Anthrax and what he accomplished while with them. IMO this is completely uncalled for and shows what an immature little asshole Ian is.

They continued on with other pit thrashing songs, Madhouse, N.F.L., In my world, AIR, and closed with I am the Law. An after party was scheduled at the Cat Club but we skipped it being a Sunday night and all. It was a :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: show for me!!! I took a disposable camera in and got a handful of shots and will post them a.s.ap. \m/ (forgive me if any of the songs listed are out of order as those raspberry lemondrops are really good!)

I am so pissed. I was gonna go tonight and get my ticket for their New Jersey show on June 3 at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, NJ and it is fucking sold out as of today. My timing could not have been any shittier. FUCK!!!!

Great review K! I was gonna post something... but you know how short of time I am :erk:

Yep, we had a most excellent time, thanks again for making me go! :D :headbang:

Pabla said:
Great review K! I was gonna post something... but you know how short of time I am :erk:

Yep, we had a most excellent time, thanks again for making me go! :D :headbang:
I didn't have to twist your arm tooo much! Next up: Whitesnake!!!