SAXON at the Key Club in LA: a review

labrekk

Jul 16, 2002
Canada
Visit site
http://metalassault.com/Live_Reviews/092811_Saxon.php

Saxon Makes Long-Awaited Return To Los Angeles

By Avinash Mittur, September 28th 2011, Key Club, Hollywood CA:

This was my first concert after starting college and with that of course, comes studying, stress and more studying. Last night at the Key Club however, I took a break from those woes for a night of great music with one of Britain's greatest practitioners of heavy metal, Saxon. For an hour and 45 minutes, the band gave an immensely satisfying performance and proved why they are known as one of the best performers in heavy metal.

It had been years since the band last visited Los Angeles, and local metal fans packed the Key Club with an intense energy and excitement. Chanting the band name was a common occurrence throughout the show, and the crowd knew all of the songs. It was truly amazing to be a part of a group of people who love a band that much.

As a keyboard introduction played over the PA at 10:50, the energy in the Key Club became truly palpable. The crowd went wild and the band came out with a rollicking reading of their new single, "Hammer of the Gods". It truly set the tone for the show, giving a very classic rock and roll feel with its upbeat riffs and straightforward chorus. When the band burst into "Heavy Metal Thunder," everyone in the audience knew that Saxon would be in top form throughout the night. Vocalist Biff Byford worked the stage with a regal authority, moving his body in a manner similar to Robert Plant, and didn't overdo the stage antics. He wasn't the most active frontman I have seen, but every move he did make served the music and the audience. Biff was the consummate leader of the show; he absolutely had the audience in the palm of his hand. When Biff pointed the mic to us, we sang as if our lives depended on it, and when he told us to get louder, we unleashed a deafening roar. His voice was also in perfect condition, being near indistinguishable from the original albums. Guitarists Paul Quinn and Doug Scarratt could frequently be seen running across the stage, or lining up next to each other for dueling guitar solos and both performed the songs exactly as they were recorded, without an off-note to be heard. Bassist Nibbs Carter gave the most energetic performance of the night, constantly running about and headbanging while still providing the band with a rock-solid bottom end.

It is worth noting that the sound at this concert was absolutely phenomenal. Every instrument could be heard no matter where you were in the club. Every guitar solo cut through, there were no words indecipherable and even the bass drums were mixed with a well done mix of triggers and naturally mic'ed sounds. This show was not just a fantastic heavy metal concert; it was also a wonderful exercise in proper live audio engineering.

The band smartly alternated classic tracks with new ones. The new tracks from "Call to Arms" went over very well with the crowd and the band's choice of tracks to play from it was superb. The jackhammer speed of "Afterburner" (jokingly introduced by Biff as "a slow song to give you guys a break") and the slow march of "When Doomsday Comes" worked especially well to showcase the album's variety. A blitzkrieg run-through of "Demon Sweeney Todd" from 2009's "Into the Labyrinth" was a massive highlight, showing that Saxon are still cranking out classic tunes with a heaviness unseen in their youth. The classic tracks of course, of which there were many, repeatedly sent the audience into a frenzy of headbanging and horn raising.

The band was noticeably pleased with the crowd, throwing in "This Town Rocks" despite its absence from the official setlist. It was a nice treat for Los Angeles, and a really sincere way of showing that the band cared for their fans. We screamed every chorus at the top of our lungs, and there was a pure sense of heavy metal unity as we all shouted "Denim! And Leather! Goes all together!" as one (even though both articles of clothing weren't too common throughout the show). After a set-closing "Princess of the Night," the band came out for an encore made up of "Crusader," "747 (Strangers in the Night)," a guitar solo from Doug, and "Power and the Glory". "747" made for a superb crowd singalong.

The band then left, but Nibbs came out by himself this time. He began with a short bass solo which then led into "Strong Arm of the Law". The band finally ended the show with "Wheels of Steel," which was extended with a shouting session with Biff. He even controlled our volume with his hands as a classical music conductor would do with an orchestra. We were absolutely in awe of what we had just seen and heard; the sheer volume of our voices as Saxon took their bows was massive. So what if they didn't play "To Hell and Back Again"? It didn't matter, as everyone who came out of the Key Club knew they had taken part in a top-notch heavy metal experience. After last night, I know that I will be the first to buy a ticket to their next show in Los Angeles, whether it is next month, or the next decade.

Setlist:

Hammer of the Gods
Heavy Metal Thunder
Never Surrender
Chasing the Bullet
Motorcycle Man
Back in '79
I've Got to Rock (To Stay Alive)
Call to Arms
Rock 'n' Roll Gypsy
Demon Sweeney Todd
This Town Rocks
When Doomsday Comes (Hybrid Theory)
Denim and Leather
Afterburner
Princess of the Night

Encore:
Crusader
747 (Strangers in the Night)
Doug Scarratt Guitar Solo
Power and the Glory

Encore 2:
Nibbs Carter Bass Solo
Strong Arm of the Law
Wheels of Steel

Can't wait to see them on Oct. 10 in Montreal!!

They're roll thru town next month for me. Haven't decided if I want to see them, or go see Yngwie, who's playing at another venue the same night.

They're roll thru town next month for me. Haven't decided if I want to see them, or go see Yngwie, who's playing at another venue the same night.

Would be an easy choice for me. Saxon slays live and they almost never tour North America anymore. You'll probably have other opportunities to see Malmsteen, but as for Saxon, that could be unlikely. Go see the mighty Saxon!!

Nice setlist. Wish I have been there (or any other show of the band :D).

Hey ElectricWiz you will have a great time!

labrekk The sound was perfect here also.

They swithed up the set a bit and played "Battalions Of Steel" & "Dallas 1pm" Played for about 2 hours.

Crazy crowd, stage diving, crowd surfing. A small mosh pit started during the 1st song and lasted the whole show. I was not expecting that, lol.

Here is a site that keeps stats for the Saxon tour,Set lists and how many times a song has been played etc. Interseting.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/saxon-73d69eb9.html?song=Battalions+of+Steel

Hey ElectricWiz you will have a great time!

labrekk The sound was perfect here also.

They swithed up the set a bit and played "Battalions Of Steel" & "Dallas 1pm" Played for about 2 hours.

Crazy crowd, stage diving, crowd surfing. A small mosh pit started during the 1st song and lasted the whole show. I was not expecting that, lol.

Here is a site that keeps stats for the Saxon tour,Set lists and how many times a song has been played etc. Interseting.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/saxon-73d69eb9.html?song=Battalions+of+Steel

Great to hear they play with the setlist. Thanks for the tip on that site who keeps stats.

Just back from the show. This has been a long un-checked, "must see," from my metal shows list, so I couldn't be happier, and they were awesome. Again the setlist was slightly tweaked. No Demon Sweeney Todd or I've Got To Rock, but they added a nice long version of The Eagle Has Landed, which I much prefer anyway. Also, they skipped the bass solo and Strong Arm of the Law, and added Battalions of Steel...Kinda surprised they didn't do one single thing from Lionheart or Killing Ground!

There were only a 100, 150 people max at the show, but Santa Rosa was very much a strange place to have them. I was going to go to Santa Clara (I'm pretty much right between that and Santa Rosa), but opted for this one since I kinda figured there would be less people. I was able to be right up front the whole show. Crowd wasn't huge, but it was appreciative. They were just as great as I hoped they'd be.

Been a huge Saxon fan since I bought Power and the Glory the year it came out...so this was a real thrill for me. Shook some hands with band members, got a pick from Doug Scarratt, and one of Nigel Glockler's sticks!

Ditto on good sound - they must have a good soundman.

There were only a 100, 150 people max at the show, but Santa Rosa was very much a strange place to have them.

That's why I love USA. You can have a show in a small venue, low attendance and the band still going for it :Smokin:

Here no one comes, comes when washed out, always at uncomfortable venues, pricey and expecting no less than 2000 (in dreams of the promoter) :bah:

Glad you all have enjoyed Saxon, I know I will if I ever have the chance.

Been a huge Saxon fan since I bought Power and the Glory the year it came out...so this was a real thrill for me. Shook some hands with band members, got a pick from Doug Scarratt, and one of Nigel Glockler's sticks!

If I can make it to the show it would be cool to get a cover signed. Were they just hanging around by the stage after the show, or did you catch them going to the bus?

Well, no actually, they didn't hang around the stage. However, this place was really quite small, and the bus was just outside it, and really not that many people seemed to be waiting for them at the end. I had to head home since I had an hour drive, but I can't imagine they didn't shake hands and sign stuff when they came out - they are that kind of band.

Ended up catching the show last night in Baltimore... final night of North American tour. Band put on a good show, despite the fact that there were only 150-200 people there. (Sounds similar crowd size to show that ElectricWiz described.) Show started early (8:30) and ended early, since the venue switched over to a dance club at 10:30. I think the setlist got a bit truncated too as a result. They played a few songs off of the new album that I thought came across pretty well in concert. Biff spent quite a while out front after the show, signing & chatting. A moderately intoxicated Paul Quinn eventually made an appearance too.

I was impressed with the opener, Borealis. They've got a power/prog sound that's kind of in the Symphony X vein. Ended up picking up one of their CDs & chatting with the band a bit. They're still young & hungry & hoping to catch a break.

I was impressed with the opener, Borealis. They've got a power/prog sound that's kind of in the Symphony X vein. Ended up picking up one of their CDs & chatting with the band a bit. They're still young & hungry & hoping to catch a break.

I meant to mention Borealis. While it was not exactly something I felt compelled to buy, I thought they were very talented and entertaining. Probably just the kind of band that won't catch a break, as the power metal field is pretty crowded these days.