ANTHRAX Going Back To 'New York Style And Attitude' On Upcoming Album

Joecephus

Mar 15, 2005
Cleveland, OH
www. joecephus.com
Via Blabbercrap:

ANTHRAX drummer Charlie Benante spoke to Revolver magazine about the status of the recording sessions for the band's long-awaited new studio album, "Worship Music", tentatively due in September via Megaforce Records in the U.S. and Nuclear Blast Records in Europe.

"Worship Music", which was originally supposed to be released in 2009 and be the band's first CD with singer Dan Nelson, will mark the first new ANTHRAX recording to feature vocalist Joey Belladonna in 20 years.

"Some of the songs we tweaked, some of the songs we did more than tweak," said drummer Charlie Benante. "Some we started from scratch, and some were written just for this album."

"With Joey singing them, they sound like classic ANTHRAX. The hair on my arms stood up when he started singing them. It was ANTHRAX once again."

Guitarist Scott Ian agreed. "The songs like sound like metal. They sound like ANTHRAX circa 1987 through a 2011 filter."

"I think this record is more of a celebration for us," Benante added. "We haven't had a new record since 2003. The ups and downs in between really reflect the mood of this record. There is a lot of aggression, emotion and power. I feel like this is once again back to our New York style and attitude."

Songtitles set to appear on "Worship Music" include "Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't", "I'm Alive", "Crawl", "The Giant", "Earth On Hell" and "Down Goes The Sun".

I hear "going back to our roots" from a band, and I think of a lackluster attempt to escape former glory. I hope thats not the case and this album rocks.

I don't think Charlie gets tired of saying "Anthrax is back" or something to that effect. I'm just hoping he's saying it over and over because it's true.

I think they made another WCFYA type album with Don Nelson. Now that Joey is back they went in and tried to beef it up a bit, add a few more thrashier parts, etc. I really don't think this will be the next "Among The Living" I see it as WCFYA with a touch of POT. But of course who knows, nobody will know until the album is released.

If they brought in Dan Spitz and had Joey the entire writing and recording process and then told me they did an 80's thrash album I may believe them.

But either way Charlie saying this isn't a bad thing. It could be worse he could have said they went back to the Volume 8 type sound but with Joey on vocals

If they brought in Dan Spitz and had Joey the entire writing and recording process and then told me they did an 80's thrash album I may believe them.

What amazing thrash riffs did Dan Spitz write? What lyrics and guitar riffs did Joey Belladonna write?

Oh that's right...as far as actual songwriting goes, both of those guys were the smallest fraction...:lol:

What amazing thrash riffs did Dan Spitz write? What lyrics and guitar riffs did Joey Belladonna write?

Oh that's right...as far as actual songwriting goes, both of those guys were the smallest fraction...:lol:

that may be true but just having that band chemistry is what made them great back then,just look at damageplan compared to pantera,dimebag wrote 90% of panteras music yet when they went on there own they couldnt write the same style of music.

that may be true but just having that band chemistry is what made them great back then,just look at damageplan compared to pantera,dimebag wrote 90% of panteras music yet when they went on there own they couldnt write the same style of music.

Anselmo was responsible for all of the vocals in Pantera, though. And Dimebag and Vinnie made an effort to NOT sound just like Pantera. If he wanted to try and be Pantera (musically, not counting the vocals), he could have.

And yeah, I agree, chemistry between members is very important...but I'd argue that with most bands, most of the FEEL of a band comes from the rythym guitar, bass, and drums...and that's all intact. Some bands, like Megadeth, changing a lead player can affect the band's sound a lot...but I never really listened to Anthrax for the solos...for me it was all about the riffs, the overall attitude and the way they played, Charlie's awesome drumming...and John Bush's voice of course was a major factor that attracted me - but vocals aside...everything that I loved about Anthrax is still intact.

"...the band's long-awaited new studio album, "Worship Music", tentatively due in September..."

What year?:p

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to hearing this. Should be interesting to hear what they come up with after all this time and drama.

Maybe they didn't write anything. But just having them in the band and part of the process certainly had influence on how the music was written. If nothing else they would at least voice their opinions when Scat or Charlie came up with some lame Nu Metal or Pantera ripp off Riff. Though Dan Spitz may have not technically 'written' the music he certainly had a huge influence on the music in general. If you are telling me you'd rather have Rob on guitars instead of Dan Spitz you are high.

They were a machine back then with they had Spitz and Joey. Then the machine eventually fell apart when they were gone. You obviously are in love with John Bush but their music quality went downhill and John Bush's voice was not the reason why.

Among The Living - Classic album on of the best Thrash albums of all time
Spreading The Disease - Excellent album
S.O.E. - Worst Joey Era album, but still better than Stomp, Vol 8 or WCFYA
POT - Excellent album - Probably the best all around Anthrax album...time to get rid of Joey....

SOWN - Good album if it didn't have "Anthrax" on the cover.. time for Dan Spitz to go....
Stomp - Decent at best, terrible for Anthrax's standards
Vol 8 - Terrible, Embarrassing
WCFYA - Decent

Is it just coincidence that when Dan Spitz and Joey were gone the albums weren't as good? I think not.

What amazing thrash riffs did Dan Spitz write?

1)n.f.l

2) madhouse

3) indians

4) medusa

5) only

6) i am the law

more???????:ill:

Anselmo was responsible for all of the vocals in Pantera, though. And Dimebag and Vinnie made an effort to NOT sound just like Pantera. If he wanted to try and be Pantera (musically, not counting the vocals), he could have.

And yeah, I agree, chemistry between members is very important...but I'd argue that with most bands, most of the FEEL of a band comes from the rythym guitar, bass, and drums...and that's all intact. Some bands, like Megadeth, changing a lead player can affect the band's sound a lot...but I never really listened to Anthrax for the solos...for me it was all about the riffs, the overall attitude and the way they played, Charlie's awesome drumming...and John Bush's voice of course was a major factor that attracted me - but vocals aside...everything that I loved about Anthrax is still intact.
Yeah I agree, aside from John's vocals which I totally loved the power rhythm section is still here let's see what they come up with for this hopefully beast of an album.

Spitz has some writing credits on Fistful of Metal and he's said he wrote a big chunk of Stomp in some interviews.

when I think of NY style and attitude, I think of Pro-Pain, Biohazard, Agnostic Front and S.O.D.

Yeah me too, although Anthrax definately had a NY street vibe to them, especially compared to a lot of the other thrash bands around the time of SOE and POT.

So sick of hearing and reading stuff about WM now...... my god I just wanna hear something off the bloody record, haha. Surely once it's mastered they'll release a track from it online to get people talking and create a bit of hype for September's release...... something other than Fight Em would be nice (but probably wishful!!)