Anthrax Memories....

vomit

Hosebag wannabe
Feb 12, 2002
Somewhere in Time
Visit site
As we all wait with baited breath, for the new Anthrax album, I have been thinking about what was going on in my life when the last few Anthrax albums were released. And in the world at large for that matter. I thought everyone could revisit some of the "good old days".

Here goes:

Volume 8: July 1998--I was at a huge bash for a friend who was leaving the frigid wilderness of Michigan for Tucson, Arizona (That's right Brat!) I had no clue of the release of this album. That is until a friend brought it up at about 8:00 PM---this after a long day of nothing but drinking & smoking. Needless to say, that was the only album we listened to for the rest of the night. Earlier in the day, I fell off the porch's railing at this party. It was only an 8 foot drop to the ground. I am still convinced to this day, that alcohol saved my life! I was awful flexible, and when I hit the ground, a witness said it was like "A piece of boiled spaghetti". God bless Blatz beer.
Monica Lewinsky was the "National Whore of the Year"

Stomp 442: October 1995: Once again I was at a huge bash, PNOTG (Pre-Night of the Goat). This annual bash is an homage to Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Blatz and devil worshippers across the world. A friend brought up a tape with "Fueled" on it---it was a promo from the record store. Not to be outdone, I whipped out the disc! Hilarity ensued. And the Dallas Cowboys were on there way to a 3rd Super Bowl win in 4 years!

Sound of White Noise: May 1993: Well Mtv was actually playing the video for "Only" so I was pysched for this one. Upon entering the record store I heard, "This is not an Exit". I hoarded my copy and listened to that disc pretty much non-stop for the rest of the summer....and the Cowboys were on there way to Back to back Super Bowl titles. And Clinton was defiling the White House with Cigars and chubby interns.

So that's the way it was.....

I guess I am really looking forward to the new album, so new memories can be made to the mellow strains of Anthrax. Each one of these discs evokes a different time & feel for me. And it's almost always the time that they were released.

Well let me know your "Anthrax Memories"

:puke:

"Satan Loves You"

Volume 8...I had just moved to Toronto, just got married, just finished medical school, just moved out of my parent's house...this album came out and reminds me of this big "transition" period in my life.

Stomp 442...I had just started medical school, so I was studying pretty hard. This album just sort of crept up on me...I hadn't heard much about it's pending release, so it was a pleasant surprise to walk into the record store and see it.

SOWN...they had dumped Joey, and their new contract with Elektra resulted in a lot of hype, so I was anticipating this one heavily. This was the album that made me decide to buy a portable CD player and stop using my Walkman.

Killer B's...I was on vacation in California when I picked this one up, so it's associated with a lot of warm, sunny memories.

POT - I had heard some bad reviews from some high school buddies, so being the impressionable teen, I didn't buy this one right away. A few months later, I found a used copy for cheap and picked it up. Because it was used, it was at the beginning of side two of the cassette, but I didn't notice, so I thought that Intro to Reality/Belly of the Beast was actually Time, until reading along with the lyrics just didn't make sense. Even now, to this day when I listen to it on CD, I always get suprised when I start the CD and Time is the first track :confused:

SOE - I had just been introduced to Anthrax a week before this album came out...I had picked up the "I'm the Man" ep in a bargain bin and was listening to that everyday on the way to school, and when I cut through the mall, there was the new album on display. It even came with the "Hologram" card of the band...I wonder where in my boxes of junk that ended up?

Oh yeah! I also had that hologram! I totally forgot about it!!
I have no idea where that's at now...

POT-I remember, in highschool, this guy had a locker near mine, and he had Persistance of Time. I asked him how it was and he said it was great. I already had State of Euphoria and I'm the Man, I think.

SOE- My sister and her friend were going shopping (with her friend's mom) and she asked me if I wanted anything. I had her pick up State of Euphoria for me.

Among The Living- A friend of mine had this tape. That was the first time I heard Anthrax.

I'm The Man- Anthrax became popular in my Jr. High School with this song. I remember hearing "I'm The Man" on the radio.

Killer B's- I was also on a summer vacation when I bought this. I brought my walkman with me on my trip and I listened to "Attack of the Killer B's" over and over and over...

Sound of White Noise- I called a CD store from work asking if they had this CD in. They did. As soon as I was off work, I went and picked it up.

Volume 8- I drove all over looking for this CD. I went to Best Buy, no luck. Media Play, no luck. I looked everywhere. Then I went to a place called 'Budget Tapes and CD's'. They had it there for about $16.99 or so. That is not a Budget, but I had to have that album.

I remember 1991 had been a pretty good year for metal releases...

Metallica's black album, GNR's Use Your Illusion I & II, Skid Row's Slave to the Grind, among others, but it was a collection of b-sides that blew them all away...

That's in my completely unbiased opinion, of course :)

1990 was a good year for metal as well:
Anthrax-POT
Megadeth-Rust In Peace
Slayer-Seasons in the Abyss
Judas Priest-Painkiller
Suicidal Tendencies--Lights, Camera....Revolution
Queensryche-Empire
Testament-Souls of Black

Not every album is a GREAT album, but most have some awesome tracks on them. I just remember this being an awesome year for music! And I was off to College, while the good ol' US was ready to do some "Stompin'" in the Middle East!

"The Nazis are the enemy! Wade into them, spill there blood! When you put your hand into a bunch of goo, that a moment before was your best friends face, you'll know what to do!"
-Gen. GS Patton, Jr.

:puke:

The first time heard Anthrax was wayyyy back in 1984. My brother brought home a copy of Fistful of Metal and put it on the turntable (yeah it was a vinyl copy, remember vinyl?)

Right from the start I was hooked! Deathrider was a masterpiece! And then the classic Metal Thrashing Mad! Everytime I go on a long trip I put my "Drive" tape in the tape player and hit the gas. The first song on that tape is MTM!

Fistful of Metal always takes my back to a time in my life when I thought I was invincible.

Armed and Dangerous wasn't anything special.

Spreading the Diease however was in my tape player everyday for over a year. Madhouse, Gungho, Armed and Dangerous, Stand or Fall, and Medusa. Fuck I love that album!

When Among The Living was released Anthrax were in top form! I was 17 years old and I WAS INVINCIBLE!!!:devil:
My buddies and I would jam that album constantly. I remember going to see Iron Maiden at the Meadowlands in NJ and there was a near riot afterwards. A car got flipped over and torched. I later learned that it was Dan Spitz's toyota!! Somewhere during this time period, I'd see the band live at LAMOURS in Brooklyn, NY. Absolutely one KICK ASS concert!

I kinda lost touch with the band around the time State of Euphoria was released. I have a copy, but it wasn't my favorite album. But who doesn't love Anti-Social?

I'd catch up with Anthrax again during the Clash of the Titans tour in Miami, Fl. Alice In Chains opened the show. Those guys were nobodies back then. Then Slayer came on and the place errupted!! Those guys were fucking EVIL!!!!! I felt as if any minute the ground was going to open up and take us all to HELL:devil:! Yeah I know, but I was smoking alot of pot back then:Smokedev:! Anthrax came on afterwards and gave Slayer a run for their money. They played a very solid set, but nothing from "Fistful" or "Disease". They KICK OUR ASS regardless. Megadeth headlined, they shouldn't have!

The band has changed quite abit since those days. Some of the changes I agree with, some I don't. But you can't stop change, it's a force of nature.

I caught Anthrax live at the Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ back in 2000. They KICKED OUR ASS!!! It was my first time seeing John Bush sing and he was flawless.:headbang:

Their set consisted of songs from every album. Mad Thrashing Madddddddddd!!!

I am looking forward to hearing the new album!

*Running into Scott and Charlie at a Fishbone show in Los Angeles's The Roxy sometime in 1990 (I think).

*Tripping out on their 1985 collaboration with hip hop's UTFO, "Lethal".

*Hearing "I'm The Man" for the first time on MMMMMMMMMMMMMmetal Shop back when it was still an import single B-side in the US.

*Enjoying the Thrax at Irvine Meadows with PE and Primus and being impressed by the way the Young Black Teenagers made the jump from a lackluster club gig opening for PWEI to playing an ampitheater with the big boys! I was about 10 rows in front Ice-T.