Antithesis of Opeth in your collection

John Gargo

Hawkwind
Mar 4, 2003
New York
Visit site
What bands are represented in your collection that you see as the COMPLETE antithesis of Opeth...

Hammerfall :oops:
Dokken :D
Motley Crue :Spin:

Those are about as un-Opeth as you can get I'd say.... anyone else?

Dunno really. Most stuff actually feels related to opeth, in one farfetched way or another. But since I bought a lot of albums beofre my opethian time, and since I have bought lots of album during opethless times thereafter there's bound to be some antithesis-records.

Can't think of any obvious, maybe "Danzig - s/t" aint that opethish?

Well, seeing as I listen to ALOT of shit that is not metal, and even more that's nothing like Opeth, there'd be a helluvalot.. a few:

Sigur Rós
Bach
Beethoven
Mozart
Armin van Buuren (!)
Frenzal Rhomb
John Butler Trio (before they were popular - motherfuckers)
Mötley Crüe
Nirvana
R.E.M
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Ben Harper
etc etc etc...

..but then again, in many ways, many of these bands/artists could be considered very much like Opeth..

The Cure
Duran Duran
Dido
Bad Brains
Nirvana

pretty much anything that doesn't put the focus on long song arrangements, heaviness, being progressive, being a complete virtuoso on your instrument, etc.

-Todd

Most of my music collection now stems from the discovery of Opeth and the journey that led me on. But erm... the offspring, slipknot, ya know all the shit we all listened to when we where kids.

Morrissey
Uncle Tupelo
The Cure
Tangerine Dream
Smiths
Nick drake
Johnny Cash
Sigur ros
Mogwai

Personally for me The Locust with songs clocking in at 1 minute compared to Opeths 10 minute songs. They couldn't be more different really.

Maybe Autechre because it's entirely electronic, usually very mechanical and cold sounding, sounds nothing like Opeth generally, and they say they know nothing about musical theory, wheras Opeth clearly know a lot. However, both are quite progressive, and Autechre do have quite a few very long tracks.

Other than that, um, Fourtet, Tori Amos, LCD Soundsystem, Plus-Tech Squeezebox, Susumu Yokota, Saul Williams, they're all about as far removed from Opeth as I can think of in my collection being as they're mostly non-guitar-orientated and prone to shorter songs. Still, I'd say most of those could be described as progressive in some way.