Anton Maiden goes missing!

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
From Blabbermouth:

ANTON MAIDEN Goes Missing, Police Ask Public For Clues - Nov. 8, 2003

A Swedish IRON MAIDEN fan who became a cult figure on the Internet after posting highly original and amusing versions of classic IRON MAIDEN songs on his web site has been declared missing after disappearing from his apartment in Hässleholmen (Borås) over a week ago.

23-year-old Anton Gustafsson (a.k.a. ANTON MAIDEN) (Photo#1, Photo#2) was believed to have been wearing a Goretex jacket, jeans and heavy shoes at the time of his disappearance the night of October 31 or in the early morning hours of November 1, according to the Swedish daily newspaper Borås Tidning. He is approximately 180 cm (5 feet 11 inches) tall with average build. He has dark blond hair, blue eyes and wears glasses.

The police have searched the surrounding areas using a helicopter and search dogs and have spoken to Anton's friends at a local university where was a student but have thus far found no clues that could lead them to the missing man.

In 1999, Anton found himself one of the very first stars of the international DIY (do-it-yourself) Internet music era when his unique versions of classic IRON MAIDEN songs landed him appearances on Swedish national TV and in newspapers around the world. A subsequent CD release was made available in a limited edition of 1,000 copies and has since become a much-sought-after collector's item.

The CD, which featured eight IRON MAIDEN songs sung in Anton's inimitable karaoke style, was recorded on his home computer using free MIDI files of classic IRON MAIDEN songs that he had downloaded from one of Scandinavia's MIDI-module metal web sites, the Iron Maiden Sound Archive.

Not everyone appreciated ANTON MAIDEN, though. In an interview in the Swedish newspaper Expressen published in June 2000, Anton told journalist Martin Carlsson that IRON MAIDEN fans "think that my interpretations are a disgrace to IRON MAIDEN. But that was never my intent."

Nasty comments in the guestbook on his web site eventually contributed to Anton's decision to put an end to his "career" as ANTON MAIDEN. "It just feels silly to continue," he told Expressen. "There will be no more records, [and] there's no point in trying to convince me [to change my mind]."