Any API 500 Series users in here?

Ihsahn1981

Jan 8, 2008
I was wondering if you want to share your experiences.

To me it seems like a good way to incrementally upgrade your homestudio.
Im thinking about getting preamps as I use UAD plugs as eq, comps and whatnot.

I was thinking about getting a RME Multiface II to use as AD converters.

My trusty Focusrite Saffire with its 8 preamps would be my choice for not-so-important sources like snare, bassdrum, toms etc. (depending on if I want to sample-replace them that is).

The 500 series stuff would be my go-to pre's for most things like vocals, guitars, bass etc.

To me it seems to make sense anyway. Am I missing something?

Nope, they're fucking awesome, and there are so many preamps available in that form factor (Chandler, Great River, Purple Audio) yet you only have to pay for one power supply (the lunchbox), the deal is absurd!

I have one and I think it's great and obviously the flexibility is killer. You should weigh your needs though b/c in some cases a regular rack unit might be more cost effective. Examples would be if you just need a single channel strip or just want a pair of pres (A2D is great).

So what preamps would you recommend?
Seems like most like the 512c at least.

Anyone have the Great River MP-500NV?
Or the Shadow Hills Industries Mono Gama?
Vintagedesign M581?
Or any of the A-Design modules?

I have the GR and it's fantastic. I'd also recommend the p1 and of course the brent averill api copies.

Do you want to elaborate a bit on the sound of the modules?
I hear the GR is based on the Neve 1081. Does it have a Neveish sound?

What about the A-Design stuff? How are they? Clean? Full of character and color?

The GR is nevish, but it can clean up nicely if you run the gain low and the output high. OTH if you krank the gain and turn the output down you get this really cool saturation in the mids that I really love.
The P1 is really smooth. I'm not sure how else to describe it.
Both of those modules are colored, but not in anyway that builds up or makes them unusable for any application.
I suggest searching around gearslutz and seeing if you can't find some audio samples.

Yeah, for the high-end gear talk GS seems to be the place to be, since there are so many more people

However, I'd much rather have the heavy-hitters on here actually use that gear on my music than the people on there ;)

Why's that Marcus? There are some very good and veteran engineers on GS.

I used the API 512c a lot on the last album. It has a really nice 'pre-EQd' sound for most elements I was running through it. It really cleaned up the bass, vocals & toms. When bass DIing we A'Bd the 512c against a Great River, UA 6176 and Amek 9098. 512c slotted into the mix the most easily without fail. It's just a 'tight' sounding pre.

I doubt I'll own one for a while, if ever, since most of my needs here at home require a really transparent preamp (which I now have). But if I'm at a studio, the 512c will be a go-to.

Yeah, I don't doubt that, I just meant I'm sure there's a bunch of people over there who spent money on 'em but don't have the foggiest how to really get good sounds out of 'em!

I use 512 pres and 550B EQs, + many other 500 series pres. I love the APIs on drums/bass/guitars especially, very tight and punchy !
Great River pres are awesome too, darker and creamier, tons of low mids. I heard the MA5 from Avedis sounds amazing too.

So what preamps would you recommend?
Seems like most like the 512c at least.

Anyone have the Great River MP-500NV?
Or the Shadow Hills Industries Mono Gama?
Vintagedesign M581?
Or any of the A-Design modules?

The great river is mint, the GAMA is awesome and the chandler germanium is thick as fuck, all different flavours! The p1 is api-ish but with a better bottom end

I have an API A2D which is GREAT!
http://www.apiaudio.com/a2d.html
2 API channels with top quality AD.
another advantage of the A2D is you can drive it more easily than any other API model. You have the 2:1 switch and an attenuator before the AD.

My other favourite pre for dist gtr is the Phoenix Audio DRS. Sounds great when opposite panned to an API track.
http://www.atlasproaudio.com/phoenix.html

Anyone else got an opinion on this??? :err: How do the converters compare to the Fireface? The API preamps would pwn the Fireface preamps, so is the conversion up to it?

Yeah, for the high-end gear talk GS seems to be the place to be, since there are so many more people

However, I'd much rather have the heavy-hitters on here actually use that gear on my music than the people on there

Indeed.. I have been a member on GS for a long time but I would prefer opinions from people on this forum too.
I have been throught many threads there to gather information.

The problem is that where I live there are no "pro audio" shops that cary any high end equipment so its very difficult to rent something decent so I could try-before-buy.

Anyway, what about the A-Design EM series? I see they come in a variety of versions like Blue, Gold, Red, Silver.
Anyone had a chance to try them?

The converters on the A2D are top class. Right up there with apogee, lynx etc. Api would not make this unit if the converters were going to diminish the pres' quality. The A2D will give you 2 channels of arguably the best preamps you can buy plus world class AD. Use it with any spdif equipped interface and you will have 2 of the best channels + AD money can buy.
I used to own a FF800 and the converters are ok but not great. I am now using the A2D and Focusrite isa8 and isa 220 with converter boards for AD and Apogee mini DAC for DA and it is night and day compared to the fireface. I needed more adat ins so I got the RME Digiface with PCIe board for the mac pro with Logic.