Any API 500 Series users in here?

No problem. PM me.
This track used Mesa TR and 6505 each side with API pre left and Phoenix DRS1 right. Both using the A2D's converters. The guitars have a really forward and present sound.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/477796-new-mix-mesa-tr-6505-a.html

Also you can try my orange 4x12 impulses miced with API. Obviously not the same as actually micing with it but may give you an idea.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/478633-orange-4x12-impulses.html

My plan is to buy a FF400 (when I sell my GT8, any takers? :lol: I have sold my other redundant stuff) and then (after a savings period) a Lunchbox with a 512C. Is there someway to get a power supply to power just one of these 512c modules rather than a Lunchbox?

Looking forward to that :headbang::Smokin:

My plan is to buy a FF400 (when I sell my GT8, any takers? :lol: I have sold my other redundant stuff) and then (after a savings period) a Lunchbox with a 512C. Is there someway to get a power supply to power just one of these 512c modules rather than a Lunchbox?

Looking forward to that :headbang::Smokin:

Maybe this one? It will power two but thats close to one :)
http://www.adesignsaudio.com/500hr.html

EDIT: There might be some compatibility issues though. I cannot say for sure if it will be compatible
with the 512c.
The webpage says:- Compatible with all the A-Designs 500 series modules

Yeah, the A Designs 2-module gizmo is totally compatible with API 500-series units, so that'd do you good! Still, the cost of that and two 512's is about the same as an API A2D, at least in America...

And the preamps dont? ;) Though I guess you don't really have anything to use a preamp for at your place except DI files, which I guess is why you went for the Millennia! Still, I doubt the Multiface converters are slouches...

Ihsahn1981 thanks for the link. I saw someone on ebay selling a 500H which is basically the same thing but couldn't find any info on it. Thanks

Marcus, I agree on the pricepoint. I don't really do any 2 mic stuff currently anyway, so I don't really need 2 pre's, so 1 in a Lunchbox or the 2 module rackmount would suffice with option(s) for later. What I do need though is nice D/A (for reamping to send a nice/true analogue signal out) which the A2D does not have unfortunately. So a FF400 and 512 Lunchbox or Rackmount seems like the best solution. BTW, on Gearslutz was where I heard that the Pre's on the FF400 were improved over the FF800 and the FF400 ADDA is done with a single IC whereas the ADDA on the FF800 is done with separate IC's. The AD is supposed to be the same quality on each but the DA on the FF400 is slightly less specwise, sonically not noticeable. These comments were from RME staff themselves and some fairly knowledgeable Engineers (non RME) were discussing it. FWIW anyway.

Does anyone have major love for these beauties?

mercenary-audio_2044_64369317

They are surprisingly affordable and the company is marked as "by API". So my guess is they are similar.

I personally just dig the mojo they give off.

Hmm, when I read "Arsenal by API," all I can think is "Squier by Fender" :ill: (then again, it could be more like "LTD by ESP," which wouldn't be so bad...) And yeah, it looks cool anyway, but come on man :lol:

Here is my "dream box" as of now.

It has two API 512c's
One Great River MP-500NV
One A-Designs P-1
One Vintagedesign M581

What do you think??

EDIT: There should be a picture here but for some reason the flickr picture wont load here. At least I cannot see it.

I've heard nothing but amazing things about Shadow Hills Mono GAMA and especially Chandler, and kinda mixed things about Great River - considering the latter takes up two slots, I'd ditch it!

where the hell have you heard mixed things about great river????
one of the best pres i've ever used.
Id pick it over the p1 and the Gama any day, dont get me wrong, those are great pres;I mean REALLY GREAT but the great river is incredible .... on everything

I've been using the API 3124 at the studio where I'm working on the Recabinet Modern 2.0 and Vintage 1.0 IRs, and I have to say that the 312 pres are fantastic sounding, quite possibly the best preamps out there for tracking guitars. I'd recommend them highly, and the A2D seems like a great way to get into those preamps AND good converters at a good price.

As for the Arsenal stuff, it LOOKS nice, but I'm curious as to where it's being made. Anyone know?

where the hell have you heard mixed things about great river????
one of the best pres i've ever used.
Id pick it over the p1 and the Gama any day, dont get me wrong, those are great pres;I mean REALLY GREAT but the great river is incredible .... on everything

There was a comparison shootout posted on here (by Sly I think), and the GR was good but not noticeably better than the others IMO (and elsewhere I just know I've gotten the vibe that it's definitely good, but perhaps a tad overrated). And what about the Chandler dude, I thought you loved 'em?