Any bands from the USA?

Here are a few instrumental only bands from America that are worth checking out.

Cosmosquad
Dysrhythmia
Avant Garden
Hematovore
Liquid Tension Experiment

Some with singers.

Eternity X
Prototype
Psychotic waltz
Mystic Force
Nevermore
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Death & Taxes

Garden of Shadows is an American band that has some similarities to Opeth. They write long songs (8-9 minutes usually), and use melodic guitar riffs. The vocals, however, are rather different, consisting of really guttural death grunts. A talented band, but at this point they are a bit derivative.

Scholomance is a band from the US signed on the End Records, described as "Orchestrated/Progressive Dark Metal". The site at http://www.theendrecords.com/html/scholomance.html contains a couple samples. I strongly suggest downloading the track "The Next Step (For the Sake of the Greater Whole)". Amazing stuff.

And, if the vocals turn you off, their newest album "The Immortality Murder" comes with a second disc containing five of the eight tracks as instrumentals, as well as seven improvised piano tracks.

most of these have probably already been mentioned...but oh well.

Cannibal Corpse
Morbid Angel
Slayer
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Dillinger Escape Plan
Burnt by the Sun
Symphony X
Kamelot
Queensryche
Rush
Toto!!
Soul Embraced
Living Sacrifice
Indwelling
Death
Malevolent Creation
Malevolent Creation
Malevolent Creation
Malevolent Creation

Originally posted by Xtokalon

The two bands above, Dream Theater and Symphony X are of the few US bands I respect. Many of the other bands mentioned in this thread for me sound like crude clutter, unremarkable platidunious noise that is metal music for metalheadz who have nothing else to listen to but metal - ie, they serve as "existential fillers" of sorts. I need sound of a greater invention to get me interested in a band's music, otherwise there is no reason to listen at all. It's all or nothing.

This is one of the most deliciously pretentious excerpts I have ever read on a message board. The Goethe quote in the signature just tops it off perfectly.