Any Big Car Stereo's Booming Opeth Out There

really******loud said:
to power a speaker you need a signal of AC (sine wave) any DC (square wave) is distortion, when you get to the maximum of your amps capibility you start clipping the signal (it changes from a sine wave to a square wave). A stereo with lots of clean leftover power will be playing AC to the speakers only. If you have a real clean (no introduced noise) rca signal and if the stereo is set up right without any phase problems caused by crossover points and reflections you will be able to talk without cancellation to your voice, distortion and other noises will cancel your voice due to it being 180 degrees out of phase with your voice (a sound that is 180 degrees out of phase and is the same frequency as what you say will cancel each other out, try running one speaker in phase and one out of phase you will notice a drop in sound) and you will need to yell to be heard and to hear someone else. Its very involved and I spent a lot of time on my stereo, but its four years old and I have learnt a lot more about sound since then.
:-\

Right... I understand all the talk of clipping and amp headroom, but just because you're in a space with two loudspeakers out of phase that doesn't mean it's going to magically cancel out numerous sounds in the room such as people's voices, but merely "thin out" some aspects of the recording coming through the speakers, most often what's in the centre of the stereo field. There's really no such thing as saying that your voice is a certain frequency, it's a complex sound made up of numerous frequencies, and the idea that whatever you're listening to could somehow cause the sound of your voice to drop out merely because it's out of phase is absurd.

Seriously... listening to say, Opeth, at 120dB, even if it were out of phase, you'd have to be shouting so the person in the passenger seat could hear you.

Come on, surely at least a few other people on this board know a little of acoustic theory and sound hardware? Chuck your two cents in!

really******loud said:
your so sic lol
Hehe, yeah. :D

Not to be offensive or anything but I'll bet most of the nay-sayers in this thread who were to take the online 'what kind of metal head are you' quiz floating about, would find themselves fitting into the 'prog metal head' classification.

[mellow]"It's all about the music maaaaaaaaaan."[/mellow] :rolleyes:

I only have two 6x9s in the back and two small speakers in the front of my car, but it's enough to make metal sound awesome inside the car and for people outside on the sidewalk to know what it is I'm listening to! I love seeing lots of people turning to look when I drive past with Amon Amarth or Opeth or something cranking :D.

Pff rap :Smug:. Rap or anything other than metal never gets played in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by really******loud
to power a speaker you need a signal of AC (sine wave) any DC (square wave) is distortion, when you get to the maximum of your amps capibility you start clipping the signal (it changes from a sine wave to a square wave). A stereo with lots of clean leftover power will be playing AC to the speakers only. If you have a real clean (no introduced noise) rca signal and if the stereo is set up right without any phase problems caused by crossover points and reflections you will be able to talk without cancellation to your voice, distortion and other noises will cancel your voice due to it being 180 degrees out of phase with your voice (a sound that is 180 degrees out of phase and is the same frequency as what you say will cancel each other out, try running one speaker in phase and one out of phase you will notice a drop in sound) and you will need to yell to be heard and to hear someone else. Its very involved and I spent a lot of time on my stereo, but its four years old and I have learnt a lot more about sound since then.
Chow Mai Dong said:
:-\

Right... I understand all the talk of clipping and amp headroom, but just because you're in a space with two loudspeakers out of phase that doesn't mean it's going to magically cancel out numerous sounds in the room such as people's voices, but merely "thin out" some aspects of the recording coming through the speakers, most often what's in the centre of the stereo field. There's really no such thing as saying that your voice is a certain frequency, it's a complex sound made up of numerous frequencies, and the idea that whatever you're listening to could somehow cause the sound of your voice to drop out merely because it's out of phase is absurd.

Seriously... listening to say, Opeth, at 120dB, even if it were out of phase, you'd have to be shouting so the person in the passenger seat could hear you.

Come on, surely at least a few other people on this board know a little of acoustic theory and sound hardware? Chuck your two cents in!
I'm sorry you didn't get what I ment. The use of two speakers were used to as a laymans example to cancellation due to phase shift caused by reflections and crossoverpoints, and I never said your voice was a frequency, I said if a frequency is 180 degrees out of phase as a frequency the same as that in your voice, you will have cancellation but as not all frequencies will be 180 degrees out you will have your so call thining out. So what I'm saying is if you have no phase shift you will have a clear voice and not have to yell to be heard!!! But you really just wanted to fight didn't you?
Then you have other problems that cause cancellation like; the fact is, especially in an automobile, the amplifier is the least of your worries. Speakers used for mids and highs commonly produce between 1% an 5% THD (total harmonic distortion) and for subwoofers the numbers can easily reach 25%. This doesn't even take into account all of the resonances of all of the plastic and metal panels in the vehicle. And like I said the clipping of the signal and other noises injected into the signal. Also air resonates as well in a given volume at a certain frequency and this causes phase problems as well. If you think you know more than me about this than me, fire away as I've got lots more up my sleave about this and I can talk it up foreva as I love phycoAccoustics etc. We havent even started on recorded quality and what that will do? CHOW MARY"S DONGA lol

And with that comment I take you really really really have not heard a full on pure sound!!! stereo system. To be honest I've only heard 3 cars in my life that even rivaled a top notch home system and about 6 home systems of optimum sound-and you can forget home cinerma as good quality sound, as it isn't made to nessary sound good to the hearing as it will play all aspects of a recording good and bad-that is a good stereo!!!Just as if you were there.

hahaha interesting topic. i have an audiobahn 15 inch subwoofer in the back of a ford tempo, with serwin vega speakers around the rest of the car, and 6x9's in the back. pumps between 600-800 watts.
anywho, i was once pulled over listening to kings of teh carnival creation. i didnt see the officer sitting across from me 5 car lengths over. wasnt a pretty sight.
but while stereos are nice, i shouldve saved my money and bought anything but a freaking tempo. haha

Chow Mai Dong said:
Ah fuck this, I give up. I'd be happy to fire away more but I can't make any sense of what you're saying, and I don't mean all the talk of acoustics either.
You don't know what I'm saying cause your so full of shit-I'm not saying I'm a know it all, as there are plenty of people who know more than me on this subject. But you really need to study up on it and know what your saying before you slag off on someone. But as usual someone who knows a little can be more dangerous than someone who knows alot. Chow Mai Dong=south of the boarder MEXICAN (no offence to anyone else).

i have an ok system.. its pretty loud.. like to blast and represent Metal in my neighborhood

I got pulled over today because some dickhead was blasting his Mitsubishi Colt right passed a cop. As the cop saw I had Fusion decals all over my car he pulled me up and tried to give me a ticket for noise polution. When I stated that I haven't had my stereo on for the last 2 hours he got real shitty at me and told me to shut my trap up or he'll defect my car. I asked him politely to feel my amps as they would be hot if I had been cranking it-he did and he said nothing at all, just went to his car and left me there no ticket just blown away. Remember bass is non directional and coppas have nothing better to do!!! Really though if I get caught for cranking my stereo, fair enough but thats bull getting done for someone else.Have anyone heard Desire (doom metal-death vocals) in a car cranked, really evil effects.

really******loud said:
You don't know what I'm saying cause your so full of shit-I'm not saying I'm a know it all, as there are plenty of people who know more than me on this subject. But you really need to study up on it and know what your saying before you slag off on someone. But as usual someone who knows a little can be more dangerous than someone who knows alot.
No, really, read carefully - YOUR POSTS MAKE NO SENSE. And I'm not talking about all the stuff related to sound, I'm referring to the complete disregard for things such as spelling, grammar and punctuation which are evidently not taught in Queensland nowadays. Making use of these things tends to help when trying to put forth an argument.

Even still, you fell flat on your face before it all begun when you said you listen to your car stereo at 156dB. Anyone who even has a remote clue about acoustic theory knows that your claim is complete bullshit.

Chow Mai Dong=south of the boarder MEXICAN (no offence to anyone else).
We live in Australia, you fuckwit.

Chow Mai Dong said:
No, really, read carefully - YOUR POSTS MAKE NO SENSE. And I'm not talking about all the stuff related to sound, I'm referring to the complete disregard for things such as spelling, grammar and punctuation which are evidently not taught in Queensland nowadays. Making use of these things tends to help when trying to put forth an argument.

Even still, you fell flat on your face before it all begun when you said you listen to your car stereo at 156dB. Anyone who even has a remote clue about acoustic theory knows that your claim is complete bullshit.
Chow Mai Dong=south of the boarder MEXICAN (no offence to anyone else).
We live in Australia, you fuckwit
. Your bright aren't you, if your Australian then you should know its a nick name for people from Melbourne,lol. Well to be honest I think that your just changing the subject, because no one here post with correct spelling and grammar,lol. As far as saying blasting my stereo at 156db-that is my best score in db drag, in which all windows have to be up. Do you drive around with your stereo cranking at full tit with your windows up!!! I sure as hell don't, so I'm not really hearing 156db you dumb cunt. And if I do have the windows up you can hardly hear the stereo outside because of the sound deadening. I know for a fact you dont have a car stereo to be proud of you, just have a little knowledge and you just like being a prick!!! You must be fucken bored to be such a wank. If you new anything at all really about sound your'd know bass can be played louder than say mid range without getting to the pain threshold.

Chow Mai Dong said:

You want grammar and spelling-if you know your shit then you'll fully understand this below, as my lecturer new what I was saying. So my claim is bullshit is it ha. I have done many papers on this subject and all have passed.
Psychoacoustics
Pitch Perception cont.
Loudness perception
Just Noticeable Difference (JND)
or Difference Limen (DL)
the difference between two tones before we can recognise them as being different
gradually separate pitches
when we hear two
alternating tones with difference reduced
get to a point where we can’t tell them apart
Measurements of JND
DLF and FMDL
DLF
2 successive different tones – one higher than the other
point at which they can be recognised as two tones
FMDL
uses Frequency Modulation
the amount of variation needed for us to hear a variation in pitch

Measurements of JND
varies with frequencies
<1 kHz 2-4Hz
= 1kHz .30% of CB
>1kHz fairly constant .25% of CB
>10 kHz discrimination of pitch deteriorates

Measurements of JND
Measurements of JND
varies with intensity
louder pitches = finer JND

varies with duration
longer duration = finer JND

Loudness
Pressure
Various measures
intensity = pressure2
range is very large&#8230;.
so amplitude is measured on a logarithmic scale
dB
dB SPL &#8211; difference between a reference and measured sound
reference (dB) is the average threshold for a child at 1kHz

Loudness
Threshold of hearing varies with frequencies
Most sensitive &#8211; 1 to 4.5kHz
Two ears better than one

Loudness
Loudness
Loudness &#8211; Phon Scale
subjective loudness
loudness judges relative to a reference tone
intensity of other frequencies are varied until they are judges to be equally loud
equal-loudness curve

Loudness - CB
Brain seems to treat sounds within a CB differently to those outside a CB
If component frequencies of a sound extend beyond the CB it sounds louder
JND for loudness
measured by AM
when change in amplitude is noticeable
varies with frequency, amplitude and type of signal
noise
20 to 100dB(SPL) 0.5 to 1 dB
<20dB less sensitive
sine waves (1kHz)
10 dB 3dB
80 dB 0.3dB
Generally about 1dB
finer at higher frequencies

JND for loudness
also varies with duration
inversely proportional to the duration of the note
short notes = coarse JND
longer notes = finer JND
>500ms loudness appears constant
<200ms decreasing perception of loudness as length drops
Place Theory for Pitch Perception
Three possible methods
locate fundamental
find minimum frequency between adjacent harmonics
find highest common factor
Place Theory - Doesn&#8217;t Explain
degree of accuracy of JND
1/30 of CB 1/12 of ST
smaller than resolution of auditory filter/critical bandwidth
how we hear just one pitch
perception of pitch whose frequency components are not resolved
pitch perception in sounds < 50 Hz

Temporal Theory
Related to nerve/hair firings in organ of Corti
phase-locking
timing between firings will always be multiple periods of the input wave

Bottom line with all this high-end car stereo talk:

You can discuss all the techy details you want. I get ill looking at all these lovely graphs about soundfields, distortion, etc. My ears are not perfect listening tools - they are just ears. The bottom-line is your ears will let you know how good your stereo is. I did much research, and for my personal liking, it cost me $2,000 to be totally happy (which I am). I like clarity in my music, but also realized that with a car, there is normal road noise that will always taint sound. My living room is a much better place to listen, so I've spent more money there. The only reason I let myself spend so much on my car stereo is that I am in the car from 2-3 hours per day, so I definately get my moneys worth.

Too loud (like at so many concerts I go to) defeats the purpose of enjoyable listening - at least to me it does. I want to feel the bass in my chest, I want crisp highs and tight lows, but do not want to trash my ears which would make all that wonderful sound useless. Guaranteed, cranking my stereo up will make most people deaf. I can only handle so much (and my installer said I listen very loud as it is). Actully, I originally purchased an Alpine amp, but it couldn't handle my listening, so I traded it in for the JL Audio amp.

There are people that a $100 stereo will do just fine.

really******loud said:
Actually my DAD was decapitated by a Black Power member in New Zealand in a gang fight-he was taking some photos so they wacked him with a axe-so I don't find that coment real funny.
That made my comment even funnier.

MetalmanCPA said:
Bottom line with all this high-end car stereo talk:

You can discuss all the techy details you want. I get ill looking at all these lovely graphs about soundfields, distortion, etc. My ears are not perfect listening tools - they are just ears. The bottom-line is your ears will let you know how good your stereo is. I did much research, and for my personal liking, it cost me $2,000 to be totally happy (which I am). I like clarity in my music, but also realized that with a car, there is normal road noise that will always taint sound. My living room is a much better place to listen, so I've spent more money there. The only reason I let myself spend so much on my car stereo is that I am in the car from 2-3 hours per day, so I definately get my moneys worth.

Too loud (like at so many concerts I go to) defeats the purpose of enjoyable listening - at least to me it does. I want to feel the bass in my chest, I want crisp highs and tight lows, but do not want to trash my ears which would make all that wonderful sound useless. Guaranteed, cranking my stereo up will make most people deaf. I can only handle so much (and my installer said I listen very loud as it is). Actully, I originally purchased an Alpine amp, but it couldn't handle my listening, so I traded it in for the JL Audio amp.

There are people that a $100 stereo will do just fine.
But I've removed nearly all outside sounds-I can only hear slight road noise, no engine or wind, only slight tyre noise and I get more interference around my house than in my car. That too loud your talking about at concerts is called added distortion it sounds real bad. Just like a home stereo set up, there is a difference between a normal room in your home and a properly set up sound room. Same story with a car!!!

really******loud said:
. Your bright aren't you, if your Australian then you should know its a nick name for people from Melbourne,lol.
No, why would an Australian say that? Perhaps you're the only one to use it. South of your border is NSW, in case you hadn't noticed.

Well to be honest I think that your just changing the subject, because no one here post with correct spelling and grammar,lol.
I'm aware of that, and I usually don't care because most other people are still able to make some sense in their posts, unlike you.

As far as saying blasting my stereo at 156db-that is my best score in db drag, in which all windows have to be up. Do you drive around with your stereo cranking at full tit with your windows up!!! I sure as hell don't, so I'm not really hearing 156db you dumb cunt. And if I do have the windows up you can hardly hear the stereo outside because of the sound deadening.
Well, then why did you say "I fucking love seeing the dirty looks of some tight assed, stuck up jerks when I pull up next to them pumping out 156 db of OPETH"? Idiot.

I know for a fact you dont have a car stereo to be proud of you, just have a little knowledge and you just like being a prick!!! You must be fucken bored to be such a wank.
In Melbourne we have a term for people who try to validate their existence with a car stereo - WANKER. Seriously, I find it hard to believe you're not some twat in a Kappa tracksuit and cap saying "Opeth are fuckin siiiick, moit". Wanting to spend $45,000 on car audio is really quite sad. I don't need your wanker car stereo to feel proud of myself, and I listen to music on my relatively cheap Blaupunkt stereo for music's sake, not so I can have my vision distorted by bass and subsequently crash into a tree.

If you new anything at all really about sound your'd know bass can be played louder than say mid range without getting to the pain threshold.
Thanks for (repeatedly) telling me stuff I already know, dickhead. So what, you just drive along listening to frequencies under 200Hz? Since it's (approximately) the frequency range of 200Hz - 10kHz that starts to affect you at the pain threshold, what the fuck would you have to be listening to at the pain threshold of 140dB to not be affected? Certainly not metal. Probably just shit doof music with no highs.

And congratulations on laying out all that shit you studied, most of which, again, makes little sense when taken out of context so there was really no point in posting all that crap. I certainly hope you made more sense in your papers than you do on here. Saying you've passed papers on acoustics doesn't impress me too much, considering I've done the same. Besides, this isn't really about sound anymore, it's just about you trying to prove your existence with wasting money on car audio. No one's impressed.

Chow Mai Dong said:
No, why would an Australian say that? Perhaps you're the only one to use it. South of your border is NSW, in case you hadn't noticed.

I'm aware of that, and I usually don't care because most other people are still able to make some sense in their posts, unlike you.

Well, then why did you say "I fucking love seeing the dirty looks of some tight assed, stuck up jerks when I pull up next to them pumping out 156 db of OPETH"? Idiot.

In Melbourne we have a term for people who try to validate their existence with a car stereo - WANKER. Seriously, I find it hard to believe you're not some twat in a Kappa tracksuit and cap saying "Opeth are fuckin siiiick, moit". Wanting to spend $45,000 on car audio is really quite sad. I don't need your wanker car stereo to feel proud of myself, and I listen to music on my relatively cheap Blaupunkt stereo for music's sake, not so I can have my vision distorted by bass and subsequently crash into a tree.

Thanks for (repeatedly) telling me stuff I already know, dickhead. So what, you just drive along listening to frequencies under 200Hz? Since it's (approximately) the frequency range of 200Hz - 10kHz that starts to affect you at the pain threshold, what the fuck would you have to be listening to at the pain threshold of 140dB to not be affected? Certainly not metal. Probably just shit doof music with no highs.

And congratulations on laying out all that shit you studied, most of which, again, makes little sense when taken out of context so there was really no point in posting all that crap. I certainly hope you made more sense in your papers than you do on here. Saying you've passed papers on acoustics doesn't impress me too much, considering I've done the same. Besides, this isn't really about sound anymore, it's just about you trying to prove your existence with wasting money on car audio. No one's impressed.
You passed papers did you I just found out how old you are (17) so don't lie to us all and give us crap about passing papers at uni and who wasted money, money's only wasted if you can't afford it!!! And I only listen to Prodigy sometimes otherwise its just death metal. And I must admit I find it embarrassing to be fighting with a kid about this when I'm 30 employed by FUSION as their tech support, Service manager and I build their demo cars and your what still at school lol. This is my last post answering you lol you make me laugh.