any comments on my mix?

eRea

New Metal Member
Jan 23, 2013
Ukraine
hi there dudes
my first topic on this forum

here i'm mixing my band's song. i'm a newbie in mixing. doing it on my PC, only vst.

the song was recorded like: drums and bass were recorded in the same room all at once, with some acoustic shields. miced kick, snare etc. big muff bass with 2 mics, NO D.I. then 2 guitars miced 2 on front, 1 back and 1 room. (i've muted back and room mics because they make more noise then pure sound). vocals as usual.

my mixing references are like Unsane's 2012 album "Wreck".
noisy noise rock

So, i appreciate any suggestions on how to make instruments sound more separate, especially guitars. and any other advices for a newbie.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reference mix sounds way brighter than yours, do a few dB hi-shelf boost at 12 kHz (I love the free TDR SlickEq for this becuase of it's sound and auto-gain function), also your mix has more sub-bass and the bass is louder but I actually prefer that in your mix compared to the reference. Also the guitars sound way more scooped in your mix compared to the other one, maybe try to boost a dB or two on guitars at 1 kHz, if that doesn't work go a bit lower and see where the mids sound best, it would've sounded better with the amp dialed with more mids but that could help a bit.

When you have done that maybe cut some low mids from guitars, try making a narrow Q boost with eq and see where it mask other instruments the most and then cut a few dB's from there (remeber to match the gain after that). Also try to boost bass guitar at around 800hz (cut some 800hz/whatever frequency you chosed from guitars after that so they'll sound more separated), maybe add some hi-mids at around 2 kHz-ish range too. Hope that helps a bit, not a bad mix at all if you're just starting out :).

Vihaleipä;11043154 said:
The reference mix sounds way brighter than yours, do a few dB hi-shelf boost at 12 kHz (I love the free TDR SlickEq for this becuase of it's sound and auto-gain function), also your mix has more sub-bass and the bass is louder but I actually prefer that in your mix compared to the reference. Also the guitars sound way more scooped in your mix compared to the other one, maybe try to boost a dB or two on guitars at 1 kHz, if that doesn't work go a bit lower and see where the mids sound best, it would've sounded better with the amp dialed with more mids but that could help a bit.

When you have done that maybe cut some low mids from guitars, try making a narrow Q boost with eq and see where it mask other instruments the most and then cut a few dB's from there (remeber to match the gain after that). Also try to boost bass guitar at around 800hz (cut some 800hz/whatever frequency you chosed from guitars after that so they'll sound more separated), maybe add some hi-mids at around 2 kHz-ish range too. Hope that helps a bit, not a bad mix at all if you're just starting out :).

thank you for response!
i've tried your suggestions. mix became better but i think i need a lot to do with it still

Hi!
I can hear a lot of ambience on the guitars, drums and vox, listening to the reference track, so it sounds wide and big.
Also, I agree that the guitars are scooped, but I'd recommend boosting the 500-1000 Hz range. And I prefer the reference's bass guitar balance, 'cause it rather supports the guitars, than playing a solo part. :kickass: