Any experiance with Blackstar amps?

Descent

Apr 30, 2006
Middlesex, England
Played thru a series one 200 head and cabs at a festival recently and was really impressed!
Crunchy ENGL'y mids but more bottom end and cleans were nice jangley mesa type cleans. IMO.
Was considering getting the 100 head but thought i'd check here if any of u have tracked or played around with one to give me an idea how it might record etc?

been offered an endorsement....but I've actually never tried one.

You should, i was v. impressed! and i'm pretty picky with tones etc.
We are considering endorsement too.
And regarding prices, they are weirdly expensive on Thomann.
U can get them cheaper than that if u look around, they are UK company and i'm in UK so i guess thats why i have seen good prices for them (like how mesas are much more expensive outside the states).

The only one I've played through was the small HT-5H, but I loved every minute of it. I've been mulling over buying one of them to use simply as a recording amp but wanted to check out a Peavey Windsor Studio/Head first to see what I thought about it. Quite honestly I may end up buying both if I like the Windsor (which I've heard some real nice clips from here already) as much as I like the Blackstar HT-5H - I was able to coax some real nice tones out of it in the hour or so I was playing around with it in the store.

You should, i was v. impressed! and i'm pretty picky with tones etc.
We are considering endorsement too.
And regarding prices, they are weirdly expensive on Thomann.
U can get them cheaper than that if u look around, they are UK company and i'm in UK so i guess thats why i have seen good prices for them (like how mesas are much more expensive outside the states).

What kinda prices are you seeing for them in the UK?

If i get one i'll prob get a 100 head, u can get them for £850.
Not cheap like a windsor etc but similar price to a 6505 (i've already got a 5150 mk1 head).

If i get one i'll prob get a 100 head, u can get them for £850.
Not cheap like a windsor etc but similar price to a 6505 (i've already got a 5150 mk1 head).

Man, if you get one (hopefully soon) we will defo want some re-amped comparison clips between the Series One 100 and the 5150! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
HT-5's are very good. Although the clean channel doesn't have much headroom; not a problem for recording, but I doubt you could use it live without being mic'd up.

problem is i'm not made of money so i'd have to sell my 5150 to get the blackstar. hmm, dunno what to do, that 5150 has never let me down, but some new tones might be a nice, hmm?

The tone was awesome but your 5150 is so beastly you'll regret dropping it. If there's a deal on the table then the price might be right for me you and Tim to possibly even pick one up collectively? Worth a thought.

I want first dibs on the 5150 if you go mad and want to sell it though!!