Any fans of Diabolical Masquerade here?

I'm still mad that fucker on eGay sold me a promo copy of Death's Design. Listened to it once, it demanded too much attention and I haven't heard it since. :Spin:

Death's Design RULES. A lot. The mp3s I heard from the first 2 were nothing special IMO.

But they tried to make it sound like one long song, by making the album flow continuously, and it just didn't work. Too fragmented. A cool riff would start, then 10 second later, we'd have something entirely different. the flow of the album was obviously their big intent. They failed in that, resulting in a subpar album.

I know I'm fighting a losing battle here, as everyone likes the album for some reason. I commend them for trying something different, but it just didn't work.

Not everything on the album works, but I do think it is best listened to as a continuous piece, and it becomes more enjoyable when you relaize that it's largely a pisstake on film scoring. I would have liked to see another DM album, but this will allow him to focus entirely on Katatonia for the time being...

Doom said:
Death's Design RULES. A lot.
Yes. It's their best one. I like it in the same way I like Imaginary Sonicscape. As BloodFireDeath once called it, it's "Buffet Metal". :tickled:

my review said:
What do you get when you host your 33rd birthday party and invite the masterminds behind KATATONIA and EDGE OF SANITY, only to be gatecrashed by the likes of OPETH, SIGH, KING DIAMOND, AGALLOCH, John Williams, a four string quartet, a grand piano maestro, a dancing monkey, and an audio companion to a screenplay that doesn’t yet exist just because it would fall somewhere between the spontaneous “lets make this up as we go along” mayhem of Ed Wood’s Plan 9 from Outer Space and a constant arse-raping sequence from an overly possessive tree in Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead.

6th, 9th, and 10th movements are just class! The 9th movement is some of the best guitar work from Swano I've heard. Great, great solo.

What does it matter that the film isn't real though? I'm not sure how that changes what's on the CD....?

JayKeeley said:
What does it matter that the film isn't real though? I'm not sure how that changes what's on the CD....?
It doesn't. Just kinda annoying that they used that as a gimmick. ALthough, I'm sure it was all in fun.

Hmmm, I think Imaginary SOnicscape is Sigh's weakest, so......:p

Whatever, Scorn Defeat and Infidel Art are Sigh's weakest....

And Nightwork is the piece de resistence!! That and The Phantom Lodge are my favorite from DM.

I thought Death's Design was great, part of DM's musical direction is to change things up frequently, otherwise they would be just another boring band...

Papa Josh said:
Whatever, Scorn Defeat and Infidel Art are Sigh's weakest....

I actually like these, especially Infidel Art. Other than the first two songs on IS, I can't listen to it. I dont lke the "proggy" territory they ventured into. The horror theme they had going was much more interesting.

And Nightwork is the piece de resistence!! That and The Phantom Lodge are my favorite from DM.
I agree with this. I'd place Phantom Lodge first, though.

I'm completely with J. on this one. There've been a couple of times when Death's Design completely clicked with me, but for the most part it sounds rather redundant and random and tries too hard to be one long song.

My favourites are

1. Ravendusk In My Heart (Under the Banner of the Sentinel)
2. Nightwork (Dreadventurouz)
3. The Phantom Lodge (Hater, Upon the Salty Wall of the Broody Gargoyle)
4. Death's Design

The first three are fucking classic, very cool releases.