Any Fates Warning Concert Reviews?

I attended both the Detroit and Cleveland shows and both were pure awesome! Yes, the turnout at Detroit was pitiful, but I enjoyed it by being right up front and having a blast, and they played as if the place was full. Cleveland attendance was pretty good, but not full. I thought the performances were great by all members including Mike filling in for Frank - and he's a nice guy, spoke with him after both shows. These guys are so talented and yet so humble. FW at ProgPower a couple years ago was my #1 show ever - these were #2. Here's the setlist from Detroit, Cleveland was nearly the same.

20131117_113847.jpg

20131118_233631.jpg

Saw them in Cleveland too, I thought their set was AMAZING.

Fates Warning absolutely ripped my face off. I can't compare their lineup and performance now to their older lineups and performances as I have never seen them before but as a standalone live set it was phenomenal.

As for Halcyon way I think they're picking up speed in a big way. I've seen them live three times now and they get stronger and stronger each time. Their newer material sounds the best, and I hope their new album is as good as their live performances have been.

Anyhow, here is my honest feedback on HW.
They need to pick a sound and stick with it.

This is my feeling on them as well. I saw them with Saxon and also U.D.O. and my reaction is I've liked the few songs initially but then they change it up to sound like a completely different band and after switching it off, after a while I get tired of it.

Was at the Joliet show also, great turn out, thought for such a legendary band, would've liked more people out there to support them. Wish there was more merch for the tour though. Bought both the new hoodie and No Exit shirt anyway lol. I actually thought the replacement for Frank was really good. Bobby was fantastic and nailed Monument. Not much of a big surprise with set list and was happy that they played Firefly off new album, one of my faves on that particular one. Supporting bands were ok, would have been awesome if Artizan would have stopped at the Joliet show. Or some bigger name acts. Otherwise, glad I went!

Wanted to go to Detroit, didn't make it there, but I went to the Cleveland show and it was outstanding. I've seen them live at least 8 times prior to this, and it ranks as one of the best performances I've seen. I love Frank Aresti, but I was very impressed with Mike Abdow's handling of his solos and parts, again, couldn't disagree more with the Louisville review. Maybe that was an off-night; and the attendance was probably low due to a few factors--Sunday night, and there was severe weather across the region that prevented some people from going, most likely. For a Monday night show in Cleveland, it was well attended and the we were more than ready to see FW as they have not done an actual US tour in 10 years! TwizstedJesus, your review nailed it. That wasn't you with the videocamera, was it?! (Ray said "I swear I'm not being a dick, but I can't stand that videocamera in my face", and whoever was taping with it stopped!).

Slightly different set list, and I think more songs--
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...416398.-2207520000.1385000127.&type=3&theater

Does anyone (other than Tenth Dreamer Deceiver as I already know his opinion, lol) have anything to say about Halcyon Way? I am curious as to how the Fates crowd is reacting to them.

I was at the Joliet show too and posted my opinion of the Fates set in the "Best Live Sets of 2013" thread. Bottom line...best, tightest set I've seen from a band in a long, loooong time. Nuff said.

As for Halcyon Way, I don't know. I agree with Jasonic that the crowd really wasn't into them. I thought the sound was WAY too loud. It actually sounded distorted; at one point I said to Met-Al "Because these go to 11!" They seem like a really talented band and are very energetic. But I also agree that there's a lot of different styles there, and while I am a fan of bands like that, I feel it's been done way better. I just wish the sound wasn't so damn distorted so I could hear the lead clean vocals better. They were middle of the road for me.

TwizstedJesus, your review nailed it. That wasn't you with the videocamera, was it?! (Ray said "I swear I'm not being a dick, but I can't stand that videocamera in my face", and whoever was taping with it stopped!).

Slightly different set list, and I think more songs--
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...416398.-2207520000.1385000127.&type=3&theater

Nope, not me with the video cam. I had the Canon camera and was all over the building snapping photos. By Still Remains I had made it up front for a few minutes to get some different photo's.

Fates Warning has turned into a very good live band. Rays youthful exhuberance in the old days may have held them back a bit, but now he mainly uses his midrange and he nails it!

Saw them in Hartford Fri night.
Halcyon way played well, but the sound guy took a few songs to get them dialed in. Great stage energy from the guys. You can tell they have played a lot of shows live since I last saw them.

Fates - great set list, and playing was spot on. The new guitarist nailed Franks solos. I'm a huge Fates fan and took lessons from Frank for a while - so yes I am familiar with the material. He was spot on. Joey had the most stage presence, and Bobby was sick to watch and hear. Ray started slow, got strong mid set, then seemed to run out of gas. They HAD done an early show for a local CT station, so wondering if that threw him (Ray HATES early calls).

Talking to Joey before the show, he sais they were just hitting road chops/stride. Based on the reviews I read above - it sounds like this show tightened the new kid up a bit. I thought he did an amazing job.

Lots of stuff of off Parellels,and they played PoV...

I don't think we've actually met, but I was the big guy hanging out with Al at your guys' show at Alehorn, and then at Fates. Al and I used to work together at the record store and the book store.

-Big Jay

Yeah, I am not sure either..........
Ok, we will have to correct that sometime soon!

As usual, I'm late to the party. I saw the Joliet show as well, and if the Louisville show was anything like the one I attended, that one-and-done poster is insane. I didn't want to admit it at the show, but I thought Michael Abdow played Frank Aresti's parts better than Frank Aresti did, at least from a technical standpoint. I have to compare it to how I feel about Mike Mangini playing Mike Portnoy's parts. The original guy had an unmatched tonal quality and a more unique approach to playing, but the replacement guy nailed all of the parts note-for-note. Jim Matheos and Joey Vera are always spot-on, and I love the contrast in on-stage demeanor between the two. Jim is always cool and confident, while Joey loves moving with the music. Bobby Jarzombek may not be the jazz monster that Mark Zonder was, but he is the metal equivalent and could play the songs with laser-like precision. As for Ray Alder, let's just say there's a reason why I yelled out to him that I want him to sing me lullabies every night. He gave me a "maybe," so there's hope!

The set list was pretty much what I expected, as they stuck to a lot of the tried-and-true material while sprinkling the occasional new song in. I personally would have loved to hear even more songs off of the new album, but I was definitely pleased to hear the three that they played. The biggest surprise for me was that they played "Still Remains" in its entirety. In the past, I think I've only seen them play the first half of the song. I know they played it at ProgPower X, but I can't remember if they played the entire song or not. Perhaps someone on the forum can confirm it. Nonetheless, I love that song. Also, looking back through the setlists from the previous shows I've attended throughout the years, I now realize that this show was the first time I've ever seen them play "Down To The Wire," which is another great tune. My only complaint is that they didn't play "Wish" at this show. It's my favorite song from "FWX." Hell, I'd be happy to hear any of the songs from that album that aren't "Another Perfect Day." That's not to say that I don't enjoy that song. In fact, that's my second favorite song from the album. Rather, it just kills me that it tends to be the only song they play off of that album.

Anyway, that's enough from this fanboy. Let's hope that this isn't the last that we hear from this band!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Anyway, that's enough from this fanboy. Let's hope that this isn't the last that we hear from this band!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Amen on that one!

I just saw them last night at Empire (Jaxx) and what you described in your post was pretty much spot on what I witnessed myself at last night's show.

Halcyon Way also delivered a very strong set in my opinion. They were kicking some ass last night. Overall it was a really good show. All of the bands say played last night put in very solid sets. There was this one band called Bachs of Rock, which was pretty much all high school kids and they really did an excellent job. I was impressed.

Also, it was a nearly packed house last night. It was an excellent turnout.

It was also awesome to get to see a bunch of fellow ProgPower regulars there last night. It was almost like a "mini" ProgPower.

Concur with what Steve said. Fates put on a great show. I could tell that Ray was really glad he was back at Empire/Jaxx. The whole band seemed to be well synchronized.

Halcyon Way also put on a great show - and a much improved show than I had seen them at PP USA several years ago. Greets to John and Ernie! :)

It wasn't a packed house but it was very well attended. Glad to see many PP USA folks there. There were a couple of people I didn't know who were wearing PP USA T-shirts. It was great that the the greater DC area PP USA team was out in force. :headbang: :kickass:

I'll back up what Steve & Dave just said about the Jaxx/Empire show.

Excellent show all around. Rarely do I get to see a show where EVERY band was good or at least decent- the first band was kind of bland but were still enjoyable, the 2nd being Bachs of Rock, a group of highly talented kids; Iris Divine, one of the best bands from the area, technical & proggy, melodic & heavy, and damn good guys, too; Brave, the band featuring half of While Heaven Wept, NEVER disappoint; Halcyon Way I personally thought was AMAZING; and Fates really kicked ass.

Saw other members of While Heaven Wept there, and that Jack Frost guy from Seven Witches was in attendance, too.

wow, 4 opening bands? what time has Fates been going on? thinking of attending the Atl show. But, not sure i want to sit there for 3hrs and see them play at 1am (i know, i am getting old..).

thanks, rick..

wow, 4 opening bands? what time has Fates been going on? thinking of attending the Atl show. But, not sure i want to sit there for 3hrs and see them play at 1am (i know, i am getting old..).

I think it's based upon the venue that they play how many opening acts there are.

This first leg Halcyon Way is the "runner-up" band and Artizan is the second leg.

At Empire the doors opened at 6:00, first band on at 6:30. I think Fates Warning went on about 10:30ish (didn't look at the time) and ended a little past Midnight.

At Empire the doors opened at 6:00, first band on at 6:30. I think Fates Warning went on about 10:30ish (didn't look at the time) and ended a little past Midnight.

And what else surprised the hell out of me was that everything pretty much kept to schedule. The doors actually opened at 6 and the first band came on right at 6:30. In the past, we used to always joke about "Jaxx Time", since nothing ever seemed to start on time before.