Any GN'R fans?

Did you hear Unlawfull before you heard OU812 ?
I did have OU812 before I got 5150, those two are a toss up for me but I did feel they were better than Unlawful because like I said it was more of what I had already heard. I think there was one more I never got and one with Sammys replacement.

My understanding was that Eddie wanted his boy in the band and thats what happened to Anthony but I dont follow that drama bullshit anyhow. I saw a vid of Eddie at some Namm show a few years back and it was sad. Clearly still having a grip on the guitar but appeared to be a lost man going through the motions. His time passed, his music a thing of the past, his glory years gone, his contributions to guitar playing surpassed and hence frowned on by some of the younger crowd that wasnt around to understand his importance or able to grasp how stunning and creative many of his riffs and techniques were because that sound was no longer the trend of the times... such as the 5150 riff or Finish What You Started... guitar players just dont come up with stuff like that everyday... most never do.

i think i heard F.U.C.K. first but OU812 is too poppy sounding to me compared to 5150 or F.U.C.K. balance is a little laid back but its more mature sounding in the lyrics so i give that a little more weight because they were touching on subject matter they never had. VHIII had gary cherone singing and i like that one more than OU812 or diver down

OK, I know what your talking about. I like VanHalens commercially successful songs anyhow but I know some people dont like that touchy feely stuff... LOL. I still think they did it good though, always some rhythmic twist to Eddies stuff. Cabo was like a take off or update of a old Montrose riff so I liked that needless to say. AFU Naturally Wired, Source of Infection and Mine All Mine were great.

Maybe someday I will buy that CD with Cherone then, now was there one more with Sammy or not ?

Never heard anything about Eddies ego. I only know Sammy left because Eddie wanted to practice all the time, .
nahh had nothing to do with that... it was common knowledge or brought up by Sammy, Dave etc. that Eddie's ego was clashing with everyone.. in other words... Eddie is/was an asshole... Alex as well... I saw interviews of Eddie's criticsm of Dave, Sammy and Michael... Eddie's always the good guy and everyone else is the asshole... go figure... perhaps Youtube has these interviews... anyways my favorite Sammy albums are first 5150 and then OU812... in fact VH with Sammy was my first big concert during the OU812 tour... still have the concert shirt... before that I went to thrash shows to bands like Testament etc.. but I'm more of a Dave era fan no doubt then Sammy era... I'm glad i got to see them on the last tour with Dave even though Michael wasn't the bass player...

OK, I know what your talking about. I like VanHalens commercially successful songs anyhow but I know some people dont like that touchy feely stuff... LOL. I still think they did it good though, always some rhythmic twist to Eddies stuff. Cabo was like a take off or update of a old Montrose riff so I liked that needless to say. AFU Naturally Wired, Source of Infection and Mine All Mine were great.

Maybe someday I will buy that CD with Cherone then, now was there one more with Sammy or not ?

i like Cabo and a few others but it didn't rock as hard as the other albums and the production for some reason sounds thin compared to the other albums even though its the same team.
anyways the van hagar/cherone releases were in this order:
ou812
f.u.c.k.
live
balance
best of vol 1
vhiii
best of both worlds

OU812 was recorded in the analog studio Eddie built. I kind of liked the sound but havent listened to it in years. OU812 and Crays ? something Strangers ? were the last vinyls I bought. My turntable is without a stylis and has been for near 20 years... LOL I may hunt one down finally, the old Kenworth need work done to the CD player now and maybe that guy can get me a good needle too.

I love Guns N'Roses and everything they have released. I love how they were never afraid to evolve and not just try to outdo Appetite at its own game. I love both the more straight rock stuff from early on as well as the more epic stuff they started doing later with the Illusion albums.

I also really like the new album which I think takes an unfair amount of bad critique because of the situations surrounding the band. Anyone who knows the story of GNR should also know that it was never about Axl firing everyone. It was a gradual thing and after that alot of people have been in the band and left but people never got acquainted with them since no new album was released until just a year ago or so. Some have survived through most of this like Tommy Stinson who has been in the band a whopping 12 years already. For some reason people still wont recognize anyone but Axl and the people in the band from 1985 to 1993 as band members for whatever reason.

Still, all the bs aside (and there has been lots of it in this band) I love the music and that is all that matters really.

I love Guns N'Roses and everything they have released. I love how they were never afraid to evolve and not just try to outdo Appetite at its own game. I love both the more straight rock stuff from early on as well as the more epic stuff they started doing later with the Illusion albums.

I also really like the new album which I think takes an unfair amount of bad critique because of the situations surrounding the band. Anyone who knows the story of GNR should also know that it was never about Axl firing everyone. It was a gradual thing and after that alot of people have been in the band and left but people never got acquainted with them since no new album was released until just a year ago or so. Some have survived through most of this like Tommy Stinson who has been in the band a whopping 12 years already. For some reason people still wont recognize anyone but Axl and the people in the band from 1985 to 1993 as band members for whatever reason.

Still, all the bs aside (and there has been lots of it in this band) I love the music and that is all that matters really.

tl;dr

i agree with this post. hell there are people who try to say tracii guns wasn't really a member of GNR. where do you think the "GUNS" part of the name came from? it came from tracii and his band l.a. guns merging with axl and izzy from hollywood roses

side stepping GnR for a moment... I loved the song Slither but have heard nothing else off the album (besides the other horrible radio song) I thought at the time that band was a good combo judging from Slither.

most all my local heavier club bands hit that song, people love it

I thought it was kind of a unique riff when I first heard it, good vocals as STP always was... great tune

My fav songs by them are Paradise City and Nightrain ofc off of Appetite For Destruction. Thought like sharing since this thread is still alive. AFD is however as I will strongly say again and again, is the only album you need by them.

i agree with this post. hell there are people who try to say tracii guns wasn't really a member of GNR. where do you think the "GUNS" part of the name came from? it came from tracii and his band l.a. guns merging with axl and izzy from hollywood roses

When GNR released "appetite for destruction" they actually only had 2 original members left from the band that took the name GNR in the first place. Those two were Axl and Izzy.

yes that is all that matters... but the BS is all Axl and he does bring it all upon himself.. no one else...

Well thats just not true. Axls stuff are the thing most seen in the public eye but the drug dreams the others were living in didnt help. Slash for one was seriously hooked on heroin and cant have been easy to work with. I know the other boys had their own problems - Duff almost died from drug poisoning I believe. All of this of course effected the band badly as well.

In the case of Axl it was probably more about his attitude and personality though since he was never big on the drug aspects.

In the case of Axl it was probably more about his attitude and personality though since he was never big on the drug aspects.
All bands have drug problems for the most part and don't think Axl was an angel in that as well... but anyways why is it all ex-members of GnR say it is Axl who caused all the problems? Afterall wouldn't at least one ex-member put blame on others as well as Axl for whatever reasons whether personality or drugs? GnR is turning out to be like Sabbath with it's 23 past members throughout it's history with only one main member...

When GNR released "appetite for destruction" they actually only had 2 original members left from the band that took the name GNR in the first place. Those two were Axl and Izzy.

Well thats just not true. Axls stuff are the thing most seen in the public eye but the drug dreams the others were living in didnt help. Slash for one was seriously hooked on heroin and cant have been easy to work with. I know the other boys had their own problems - Duff almost died from drug poisoning I believe. All of this of course effected the band badly as well.

yeah i knew most of the original lineup was gone by the time AFD came out. you should have hear the horrible reasons some guys were trying to use to say tracii guns was never really in the band

For the most part people consider in general a band's "original" members as the lineup from the debut album on and not before that...

All bands have drug problems for the most part and don't think Axl was an angel in that as well... but anyways why is it all ex-members of GnR say it is Axl who caused all the problems? Afterall wouldn't at least one ex-member put blame on others as well as Axl for whatever reasons whether personality or drugs? GnR is turning out to be like Sabbath with it's 23 past members throughout it's history with only one main member...

Well, that's what Slash said in his biography. Axl did do some drugs but he mainly drank anlcohol and did some weed from what I understand. He never had a big heavy drug problem or heavy drug use when it came to heroine or cocain etc.

From reading Slashs biography its quite clear that one part of the band were the party guys and then there was Axl so Im not surprised everyone says it was just Axls fault. I think the split was caused by both sides. One side couldn't stand Axls mental problems and doing only what he wanted. I also think Axls attitude probably got worse because the other guys were so fucked up at one time or another. We all know Adler was and Slash was very bad a few times. Duff as well as he almost killed himself from drug poisioning. Dunno about Matt, Gilby or Dizzy though.

Slash does say he is probably partly to blame in his bography but of course he puts most of it on Axl which is only natural since the book is his point of view.

It is trut that this now for the most part is Axls band even if other current memeber do contribute with music. For me though, I love the actual music they put out and the amount of past memebers doesnt matter if the music is good and enjoyable.

For the most part people consider in general a band's "original" members as the lineup from the debut album on and not before that...

True but its wrong. Original means "A first form from which other forms are made or developed". Saying the original line-up was the one that recorded AFD is popular but popular doesn't make it correct or true.