Any good Chicago area guitar techs?

ArtGarceau

Jan 24, 2007
Chicago
I'm looking for a really good guitar tech in the Chicago area. I want someone to take a look at one of my guitars and work with me to get it set up the way I want it. There is a company call Third Coast Guitars that works out of my local GC, but the guy there talks down to me like I'm an idiot and doesn't seem interested in my business.

Anyone have a good guitar tech in the Chicago or Chicago suburb areas?

http://www.cremerguitarworks.com/ (in Aurora)

I took my stuff to Rick Cremer before I learned how to do my own setups.

Not very friendly, but not a prick. They do good work.

HOLY SHIT! Small friggin world man! I used to hang with Rick Cremer's daughter... who was pretty hot, I'm not gonna lie. The guitarist in my band has gotten some steals from there and that guy really knows his shit. Don't know if he's available for guitar tech work, but he's a great guy.

I'd have to disagree and say that he's really friendly though :cool:

I also suggest Rick Cremer. Years ago he worked on my very first electric guitar, which was a squire strat. Just a tuneup kinda thing where he adjusted the fret height and action. I wanted it setup to shred. The fretwork he did on it was fantastic - so smooth to play.

I also snapped the head off my gibson les paul at a show once and he was able to put it right back. You can hardly see that it ever happened. And he could have made it practically invisible so he said but that would have costed a bit more and he warned that doing so could devalue the guitar a bit more.

I haven't been there in a while, but he was always very honest and fair. And not unfriendly, just sort of a quiet person it seemed.

HOLY SHIT! Small friggin world man! I used to hang with Rick Cremer's daughter... who was pretty hot, I'm not gonna lie. The guitarist in my band has gotten some steals from there and that guy really knows his shit. Don't know if he's available for guitar tech work, but he's a great guy.

I'd have to disagree and say that he's really friendly though :cool:

Well, I guess I never really talked to him enough. But he was all business when we did speak. That's okay though - he definitely does know what he's doing.

I like how he's got nothing but those vintage "rubber room" Kustom amps in his shop. :lol: