Any good resources for mastering?

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Let's be honest, half of us on here don't know dick about mastering even though a lot of us tend to master our own material. Does anyone have any good resources on learning how to master better? I'm not talking about learning the history of it or how mastering gear works per say (although obviously that is very important) but more along the lines of what to listen for and practical techniques etc. Something almost like this forum. I've skimmed and read some mastering books, but honestly a lot of it seems very bloated with non needed information.

I'm sure a bunch of you will just say learn the ins and outs etc. but that's what I'm looking to do, just in a more practical fashion than reading a 700 page book front to back.

I believe Plec started a sticky on here with his tutorials but I don't believe it ever progressed past the second installment.

Cheers!

I disagree about the "Mastering Audio" book. It's a good book, no question, but it's not very well suited for someone who's just starting out trying to master stuff. It's full of info that isn't really needed at first when you are just trying to get used to the approach and what to listen for.

I disagree about the "Mastering Audio" book. It's a good book, no question, but it's not very well suited for someone who's just starting out trying to master stuff. It's full of info that isn't really needed at first when you are just trying to get used to the approach and what to listen for.

So what's your recommendation?

Maybe Ermz should write a mastering guide..... If you guys can't get much out of Katz's book, then I'm not sure what to tell you.... Mastering is fucking hard and takes a long time to.... master......

THE most critical thing in mastering, I believe, is the listening environment. If you don't have a good one, you're already screwed.

I can't think of a better book than the Katz book. Beyond that I'd recco an attended session or two if your client has the budget for an outside ME. Even if you have to swallow the cost difference the experience is valuable.

Read Katz's book to long ago to remember, but i think it was good :)

Anyway, i agree with the OP, but aren't books a bit of a dated medium for learning about audio production?
There must be a few YT videos or other learning methods some of the forum members can recommend that had impact on their mastering skills.
i'd recommend some as well, but i don't think my mastering skills are good enough to do so.

Before buying any book I would advice you to do 2 things

-Go to an high end hifi store with a couple of song you know well for listening what happen in this world.

Mastering (I mean real mastering, not quick mastering for A&R/artist to listen as a ref) are done on those speaker (B&W 802, Lipinski 707, Dunlavy, Duntech...etc) and you would understand why after a listen.

Book an attempt session with a mastering engineer.

You will learn more about the process in a session than reading any book available.
Be clear about your intention with the ME and let him do is job during the process (sit back and listen). After that ask question if you have some...

Once you have those two steps done, Bob Katz book will cover all the technical part in depth.

Btw, quick reply about the L2 comment (I suppose this was a joke:D)...
But this would never happen... L2 is a great limiter and have a specific sound but don't go with more than 2/3db GR.

First, if you have a good mix, get a loud master isn't the more difficult part.
Second, many ME a good make up gain unit and hit their AD converter hard for volume (Ted Jensen used a CL1B pair for that purpose).
Why do you think they have Cranesong hedd or Lavry as AD converter in mastering house?;)