Any good mastering tips??

doclegion

Contagious Destruction
Dec 31, 2006
I would like to get a better understanding of what to look/listen for when mastering. So im just out to try and get some advice on techniques and tricks in mastering production.. I tried the search function but i didnt find anything

Thanks --- I was looking into getting izotope 4?? Good plug-in to start mastering?? Or should i just stick with my waves plugins??

My general idea is to compress, EQ, Limit thats all i think of now hahaha

Any advice is good

I would like to get a better understanding of what to look/listen for when mastering. So im just out to try and get some advice on techniques and tricks in mastering production.. I tried the search function but i didnt find anything

Thanks --- I was looking into getting izotope 4?? Good plug-in to start mastering?? Or should i just stick with my cracked waves plugins??

My general idea is to compress, EQ, Limit thats all i think of now hahaha

Any advice is good

fixed.

Mastering for metal is highly overrated and taken too seriously. There's very little you can do. It's all down to the mix. A little wide-band EQ is needed 90% of the times, but you should really look for annoying resonances below 300hz and above 4khz and fix them (considering they weren't fixed at the mixing stage). MBcomp for the low end is needed for, say, untamed low-end from tom rolls, or just to flatten out (for consistency) or 'Punch up' the low-end of the mix. Please make sure your release times are proportional to song tempo.

All in all, mastering isn't magic. Mixing is.

Izotope Ozone 4 is great. You don't need analog gear if you don't want 'that analog sound'. We don't need that sound in modern metal anyway.
And yes, you don't need to purchase a Finalizer 96k either to impress your clients. Our CPU's have more processing capabilities than that.

*Bash me* I'm a marketing undergrad but I'm obsessed about DSP in terms of audio and a little bit of CSE too, which means I read a lot ;)

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that you need a well treated room that's more than 1600 cubic ft (1 foot = 0.3048 meters) and well treated, but balls - that applies to mixing just as much.

Stop saying you used the search and didn't find anything, cause either a) you're lying or b) you're retarded. There are many very useful threads on this subject

Yea im a big fat retarded liar
How would you know??? Guess what?? You dont know what your talking about
thanks for your absolutely usless information.. Thats probably how much you know about mastering ZERO----cause either a) you're lying or b) you're retarded

Nice behavior guys, reminds me of me when I was 18, haha!

The fact of the matter is: doclegion can either be a legit user or a thief. I have no rights whatsoever to accuse him of using pirated software without proof.

Peace!

Why don't you download the DEMO of Ozone 4 and try a bit by yourself? You will see that you can achieve some simple mastering easily and there is a great manual (+100 pages) explaining you how it works etc. Start with macro presets first, tweak it a bit then try from scratches with the help of this page (http://revolutionaudio.blogspot.com/2011/05/mastering-with-ozone-4.html). You can virtually do what the Waves plugs do but it's all in one only plug in.

+1 with Maamar Hug: calm down guys... bad week of the month or what?

I'm not angry nor stressed, my life is awesome and I'm loving it. But my point stands, I just happen to dislike blatant liars. You simply can't say you searched for this and didn't find anything. Everytime someone makes a new thread about mastering or mixing bass, it gets harder for us who actually search for the info instead of expect it to be spoonfed directly to us to search for it cause we have to read through a thousand repeated threads with little information until we find the two or three really useful ones. I think my concern is valid and "mature", or not?

I'm not angry nor stressed, my life is awesome and I'm loving it. But my point stands, I just happen to dislike blatant liars. You simply can't say you searched for this and didn't find anything. Everytime someone makes a new thread about mastering or mixing bass, it gets harder for us who actually search for the info instead of expect it to be spoonfed directly to us to search for it cause we have to read through a thousand repeated threads with little information until we find the two or three really useful ones. I think my concern is valid and "mature", or not?

Oops, sorry dude. I was complaining about the 'cracked waves plugins' thing. I shouldn't have tagged you there.

Couldn't agree more about the search thing. As in my case, I have the sneap search put up on my bookmark toolbar :loco:

Mastering for metal is highly overrated and taken too seriously.

I beg to differ.

There's very little you can do.

I beg to differ.

A little wide-band EQ is needed 90% of the times

I beg to differ.

We don't need that [analog] sound in modern metal anyway.

I beg to... wait, am I repeating myself here?

To the op (and, well, everyone), buy and read Bob Katz's Mastering Audio. Seriously. Now. You'll learn a metric fuck-ton more than you will from asking such a question here.

What surprises me every single time here is how people talk about mastering and completely disregard the non-sonic side of it. It's not just EQ'ing and making dem trackz loud as fuk. In fact, I've seen people offering professional mastering services and a bit later asking what they need proper sequencing and burning software for, what ISRC codes are and so on and so on. Mastering isn't magic, but it's a very involved process that requires a lot more technical knowledge than people often think.

it's a very involved process that requires a lot more technical knowledge than people often think.

I agree but I don't think he wants to do that professionally (which in this case involve a lot of knowledge and material [as mixing does]) but more how to "finish" a mix with an effective but not perfect mastering (as a Pro could do) to give the mix some justice for the people who will hear it.

In my case, when I first presented my mixes to my band, they where "wtf is that?!?" then after a few explication and a light mastering, even if it was no pro at all, there were more like :kickass: When you are a lot into production and technical aspects etc, you can forget how people who actually know nothing about it listen to music (this is why some ugly works can be successful :ill:)

I stay with my advice: try oZOne by yourself, and yes... use the search function if you have not a precise question that was not answered before. :cry: