Any Happy Reaper fans here?....

Shredfiend

Sep 2, 2004
I was thinking of saving for a Mac Pro, and getting Logic Pro and a Duet. It will take me awhile to get the funds.

Then I came across Reaper on some other forums and then the Reaper forum. A lot of people really dig this program. I really dig the business model. The ability to try it full functioning, very nice price, the developers are on their forum everyday listening and interacting with users. The program is updating and evolving all the time.

I realize I could put a PC based system running reaper for probably half to 1/3 what it will cost me to go the Mac pro route with Logic. Fwiw the system will be for recording only...I'm not even going to put it online.

Any Reaper users here?

TONS of people, and while I'm one of the newest, I've totally dived right in and absolutely adore it! It's not without it's limitations, but I know they're far beyond anything I would come close to approaching; here's a thread with some good arguing about the subject. I say DO IT!! (I bought a new computer this summer and still decided to stick with a $1900 PC laptop rather than a Macbook Pro because of Reaper, Voxengo plugs, and all the other amazing free/cheap shit available for PC's).

Oh, and I've been programming drums using the piano roll for years, and have no trouble with it!

If you want to pay money for marketing and hype, then go Mac with Logic. If you want to buy a product that is supported by the users and the developers working together to create something, and if you want a shit-hot machine that isn't going to lock you out of all the free goodies out there, then go Reaper on a PC.

Talk to Jim Roseberry on the Reaper forums, he builds DAW's and he could build you an awesome setup with Reaper, for less than a Mac Pro would cost you.

I'm very happy with Reaper, and since I work in the business, I have access to pretty much all the hosts - I choose Reaper over Pro Tools, Logic, Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar, Samplitude, etc.. etc..

Just my personal opinion.

If you want to pay money for marketing and hype, then go Mac with Logic. If you want to buy a product that is supported by the users and the developers working together to create something, and if you want a shit-hot machine that isn't going to lock you out of all the free goodies out there, then go Reaper on a PC.

Hear hear! :kickass:

I've been using it for quite a while now, and I still love it. Haven't run into any complications since I started with it.

I decided to use an older pc of mine for recording, and installed cubase 3 on it. It kept on freezing and I couldn't record anything with it. Tried reaper, bought it, and it might have frozen 2-3 times, but that's about it. It's a 5-6-7 year old pc with 500 mb Ram.

Most of the fancy stuff from cubase I didn't use.

Love it here too. Awesome piece of software. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it with a PC. My question is, why would anyone even consider a Mac and Logic? Do people like throwing money away??

Love it here too. Awesome piece of software. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it with a PC. My question is, why would anyone even consider a Mac and Logic? Do people like throwing money away??

A lot of professional engineers and recordists are under the false assumption that Macs are perfect - that they don't crash and don't have issues; which is patent bullshit - and trying to tell them that they could've gotten the same thing for much less money, they get defensive because they don't want to see that they've spent money they need not have spent.

And so they perpetuate the myth that Macs are perfect - some even claim that Macs are "designed for media" (more bullshit) - and create a little fanclub in the process.

The rest is advertising and lack of critical thought on the part of the viewers of advertising.

But hey.... this is all coming across so judgemental, and I don't mean it like that - it's just my observations.

Well, the studio i am working in now has a Mac and i am liking it a lot despite the fact that i still have do get used to the interface and the shortcuts. There are some thigns that i really dont know how they happen (like folders opening suddently for no apparent reason) and i still have to make up my mind about Finder, because i am still trying to use it like explorer.

Back to reaper :lol:

TONS of people, and while I'm one of the newest, I've totally dived right in and absolutely adore it! It's not without it's limitations, but I know they're far beyond anything I would come close to approaching; here's a thread with some good arguing about the subject. I say DO IT!! (I bought a new computer this summer and still decided to stick with a $1900 PC laptop rather than a Macbook Pro because of Reaper, Voxengo plugs, and all the other amazing free/cheap shit available for PC's).

Oh, and I've been programming drums using the piano roll for years, and have no trouble with it!

Like I mentioned in a previous thread there is actually a little plugin designed for Reaper that makes programming drums a lot easier. Its called Midi_note_namer and it creates a Drum Grid instead of a piano roll. :headbang:

I love Reaper, but one thing that bugs the fuck out of me is the fact that I just can't make the UI comfortable to use. The huge track bars that have volume and panning sliders (never found a way to default them to a smaller height), the fact that I still haven't ran into a _good_ color theme etc. I can't stand any STEALTH FIGHTER MIDNIGHT NUCLEOSIS MADNESS 666 or OMG I TOOK A PHOTO OF A PLANK AND MADE IT INTO A WOOD THEME FOR REAPERZ themes. What do guys use? Show me some of the non-eye-hurting goodness!

So do I, nothing wrong with the default colors for me, they're similar to the defaults on Cubase SX 2/3. And if the track bars are too big for you, just hold control and scroll the mouse wheel (with the cursor in the edit window) to zoom in vertically.

this one called "paula" looks as nice as any other daw on the market to me ( except ableton..I love the minimalist look)

paula_prw.png