Any Impulse creators more accurate than Voxengo Deconvolver?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Hey guys. Have run into a bit of a nasty which has led to me wanting to try another impulse creation product.

I have been creating impulses lately, and they have been imparting what I can only describe as a light sheen of muddyness over the tone. Strangely i've not really noticed this before, but it could be that my ears have a bit more experience these days.

Had me wondering, is it the accuracy of the deconvolving process in the voxengo freebie I have, and if so what other products are around that I could try which might potentially provide more accuracy given this thing is pretty old now.

This might just be the nature of the beast though.

+1, would be really interested in this too, especially for anything dealing with Bassguitar impulses. I recentley tried to make some decent bass impulses, and i noticed that my impulses always lacked sub in comparsion to the real deal. i never experienced this with any of my guitar impulses (maybe because there isnt that much going on that deep).

Voxengo test signal spans from around 20 Hz (or even 30 Hz), so do not expect precision here. Also recorded response should be longer than test signal by resulting impulse length (better by 1 second or so). If length difference is small, than resulting impulse will be short, short impulse length can have bad resolution of lower frequencies. As for test signal, sine sweep can be generated with other software. Accuracy of deconvolution process in Voxengo Deconvolver is fine.

7k0wy.jpg

Hmm... could also be ear fatigue. There are times when I've been mixing for 1-2 weeks every day and everything just sounds bad in the end. Then I take a couple of days off and when I get back everything sounds good again.

I'd say that if there actually is a problem in the sound it's most likely not due to the Deconvolver.

It relatively easy to get bad result with Deconvolver, for example, if length of test signal and response have the same length...
And there is still lack of very low end in test signal.

Not length, voxengo test signal starts even from 45 Hz, so it`s length independent.
I`m mentioned that shorter impulse length can lead to lower resolution at lower frequencies.
In Deconvolver L(imp)=L(recorded sine response)-L(test signal)