Any Lacie hard-drive users here?

Dec 19, 2003
I bought one off ebay, which doesn't seem to have a manual or anything with it, which would be fair enough if I could get it to work.

Im usuing PC / windows XP and the drive just doesn't seem to appear anywhere like a normal drive does as a storage device in 'my computer', even after the computer automatically installed the software and I've also installed genie back-up assistant.

The computer recogonises that the drive is plugged in, just there is no folder appearing to open the drive. Am I missing something?

Any ideas dudes?

Cheers. :kickass:

To format the drive wouldn't it need to show up as a letter (Drive: E, F etc...) in 'My Computer' first to give me the option of formatting it?

At the moment, its not showing up as a drive in 'my computer' so I don't know how I could even format it?

Any ideas?

Right click My Computer, click Manage, select Disk Management from the Storage tree and find the drive in there to format it and create a partition from it. I had to do the same thing when I built my desktop a few weeks ago, the drives weren't automatically recognized as partitions, they were showing up just needed to be formatted and assigned a drive letter.

Right click My Computer, click Manage, select Disk Management from the Storage tree and find the drive in there to format it and create a partition from it.
This is exactly right.
If it came from someone else, it's either not formatted or its in something like HFS+ (MAC format)

The LaCie "Hard Disk" (black one) and the "D2 Quadra" are good for studio use, I wouldn't get any of the others, especially ones that are bus powered, 5400 rpm/2.5mm or don't have firewire.

If it still doesn't show up, then the guy sent you a drive with dead ports.

Thanks Adamwathan, I've done what you said and I've found it on that menu, it has like a red bubble with a line through it, as though its signaling that its 'blocked' it also says 'not intialized' underneath...

What exacly do I need to do now to activate / format it?

Thanks!

Ok, it’s formatting now, and the drive seems to be showing up in 'my computer', but is not yet accessible, I presume because it is formatting still.

I'll let you know how this turns out.:zombie:

I've had an older "Porsche" one with 250gb for many years now, no problems whatsoever. I also got a Quadra D2 with 1tb this spring, and yeah, it won't show up on Windows XP either (well, at least it shouldn't, haven't tried), since I formatted it to HFS+ as I'm on a Mac. I use the Porsche for just saving stuff on it like movies, and the Quadra I link with my Profire 2626 for recording. Works like a charm.

I need to reformat it for two partitions though, because I want to start using it with Vista too, when I change my bootcamp Vista from 64-bit to 32-bit so I can start using Reaper and some free Windows plugins. So my question is, should I use FAT32 or NTFS for the Windows partition? I'm going to be using it with both Vista and Mac then.

If its just for windows, use NTFS, if it's just for Mac use HFS+ Journalled. If its a transfer drive between the two use FAT32. Be aware that FAT32 has a 2GB file size limit, which in audio recording can really be a limitation.

You can also keep all your drives NTFS in a desktop pc, and share all the drives over a network. The mac can see all the files that way.

It seems to be working okay now that it's formated, I can put stuff on the drive. Thanks for all your help guys, you're life-savers!

However, the 'one click' lacie shortcut (blue button on the front) doesn't seem to do anything when I press it... Do I need to install softaware to make this feature work or something?

Cheers guys.