any metal pit advice for the 98 lb weakling?

rev

New Metal Member
Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I'm a small guy - 5'8, 120 lbs, and have been a few punk concerts with younger audiences and have been cool with the pits.

However, I've never been to a metal concert before (besides seeing Down at New Orleans Voodoo fest, which doesn't count for these purposes since most of the people in the audience weren't there for Down - i.e. weak pop addicts) and thus I have some concerns about metal pits.

Any thoughts on metal pit ettiquette, or advice on trying to be upfront , but out of the pits? any good pit stories?

thanks

Reactions: redeyes
rev said:
I'm a small guy - 5'8, 120 lbs, and have been a few punk concerts with younger audiences and have been cool with the pits.

However, I've never been to a metal concert before (besides seeing Down at New Orleans Voodoo fest, which doesn't count for these purposes since most of the people in the audience weren't there for Down - i.e. weak pop addicts) and thus I have some concerns about metal pits.

Any thoughts on metal pit ettiquette, or advice on trying to be upfront , but out of the pits? any good pit stories?

thanks

The Toxic Waltz

Here's a new dance craze that's sweeping the nation
It's called the toxic waltz and it's causing devastation
You're jumping up and down like a psycho circus clown
Slamming with waltzers all the way around
You get caught up in the whip
You're thrown into a flip
You aim for someone's head
To stain the floor red
Give someone a kick
To prove you're truly sick
Bounce back from some blows
And blood runs out your nose
Flailing round and round
And you're injury bound
Waltz it up!
The pit is it!
You can take your chance
On this rough new dance
If you dare!
To dive in!
There are some that try
But they won't survive
They don't hit!
'Cause they're wimps!
And this exercise
Helps you brutalize
With us!
Exodus!
Everybody's doin' the toxic waltz
Kick your friend in the head and have a ball
Come on and do the toxic waltz
And slam your partner against the wall
Good friendly violent fun in store for all
Get up off your ass and toxic waltz
If you hit the floor you can always crawl!
Used to do the monkey, but now it's not cool
The twist and mash potato are no exception to the rule
So don't be a dunce and dance like a runt
Just throw your elbows with good friendly violent fun
Don't start to cry
If you get a black eye
Just dive back in
And give another try
But too much action
May leave you in traction
So you better get insurance
No matter your endurance!
Flailing round and round
And you're injury bound
Waltz it up!
The pit is it!
You can take your chance
On this rough new dance
If you dare!
To dive in!
There are some that try
But they won't survive
They don't hit!
'Cause they're wimps!
And this exercise
Helps you brutalize
With us!
Exodus!
Kick your friend in the head and have a ball
Come on and do the toxic waltz
And slam your partner against the wall
Good friendly violent fun in store for all
Get up off your ass and toxic waltz
If you hit the floor you can always crawl!
Get up on your feet
Don't look so obsolete
And thrash like an athlete!
Don't sit there on your ass
Don't look like you've got too much class
You'll be harassed!
You know we guarantee
This is the key
So rage or get the third degree!
You begin frontal assaults
And start your somersaults
And do the toxic waltz!
Do the toxic waltz!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Reactions: jdelpi
Moshkinstein said:
The Toxic Waltz

Here's a new dance craze that's sweeping the nation
It's called the toxic waltz and it's causing devastation
You're jumping up and down like a psycho circus clown
Slamming with waltzers all the way around
You get caught up in the whip
You're thrown into a flip....

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

you get 10 Metal Points.

my only advice is to duct tape your shoes to your feet.

Ahhh the pit.....

Ok, first the things to watch for....

If your in the pit and your slightly built at some stage you will get thrown into the people at the edge of the pit..for some reason they always get pissy and try and punch you back into the pit..if you hit one of these morons, propell your self back into the pit before he can question you about spilling his pint and messing his hair up.....

watch out for the guy who takes his girlfriend down the front and then tries to protect her from the flailing arms..he will:cry: when you hit him, same goes for the guy with the camera trying to take some shots of his hero's...just avoid these people they do get fed up and leave...

watch the security guys, you can tell when someones crowd surfing from where they congrigate just hunch down slightly and the guys next to you bear the weight of the crowd surfer.....

..As for pit ettiquette...always look out for each other.. if someone goes down ALWAYS help them up..even if it means you stop moshing for a moment... if someone gets knocked out cold send them over the top for the bouncers to help....Oh yeah and don't throw punches or start getting pissy if you get smacked in the face....

Finally..just enjoy it man, you'll always get some asshole in the pit just try to avoid them...if your goin' to see Anthrax they'll be plenty of people experienced in the art of pitting...I weigh about the same as you so you have nothing to fear...its the only place to really enjoy a concert..

..feel the energy my friend..

...feel the energy ....:)

...Oh yeah, and don't wear watches or jewellery, you'll just lose it..and make sure your wallet or money is secure or left with a wimpy friend standing at the back of the hall....

you get 10 Metal Points.
you get 10 Metal Points.
you get 10 Metal Points.
you get 10 Metal Points.
you get 10 Metal Points.
you get 10 Metal Points.
you get 10 Metal Points.

this post is one of the greatest ever

also if you want advice... take some big friends with you

other then that, i find that most of the time as long as you dont start swinging fists, use your shoulders and body to slam.. you should be fine

oh here is my last pit story:

I went to the monsters of rock tour just to see anthrax. So Anthrax breaks out with Among the living and everyone is sitting fucking down! So i grabbed my buddy and got up and threw him into a group of sitting people (general admission outdoor). They got up and started slamming back. After 3 more songs my pit had about 300 people in it.

Highlights:

- some big ass motherfucker hit me off guard and knocked me about 25 feet (downhill) and i slid into a group of chicks that were like OMG

- some other asshole slammed me inthe face with an open palm

- I took down 10 fat fuckers by going for their legs

- I puked and almost blacked out during bring the noise (bring water). this was in about 90 degree heat with the pit on a slanted hill

-anthrax dedicated bring the noise to me and my buddy

just dosent get better then that

redeyes said:
oh here is my last pit story:

I went to the monsters of rock tour just to see anthrax. So Anthrax breaks out with Among the living and everyone is sitting fucking down! So i grabbed my buddy and got up and threw him into a group of sitting people (general admission outdoor). They got up and started slamming back. After 3 more songs my pit had about 300 people in it.

Highlights:

- some big ass motherfucker hit me off guard and knocked me about 25 feet (downhill) and i slid into a group of chicks that were like OMG

- some other asshole slammed me inthe face with an open palm

- I took down 10 fat fuckers by going for their legs

- I puked and almost blacked out during bring the noise (bring water). this was in about 90 degree heat with the pit on a slanted hill

-anthrax dedicated bring the noise to me and my buddy

just dosent get better then that

Wow, it's a good thing they only played for 30 mins. :headbang:

BTW, I believe that was Maximum Rock, not Monsters of Rock.

if you want to be up front just go right up front. The pit is usually a few feet back from the stage because no one wants to slam thier face into the wood. deffinately be cool to everyone and help them up. That is crucial. I usually let the big guys do all the work and just let myself get thrown around. You can link arms with someone else and spin around in circles. That's always fun. I've never had a realy bad pit experiance... wait I take that back. One time there was this huge pit monster and he grabbed me by my neck and started spinning me around. I punched him in his nose and felt a crunch and quickly hid in the balcony. I had the whit longsleeve Brutal Truth shirt with the half monkey half man face on and I had blood all over it so I quickly bought a Soilent Green shirt and dodged a dat with death.
good times
-Jono-

its been a while since i last listened to exodus,time to get fab disatser on the stereo!!!!!!!!!!

my advice in the pit would be to try and avoid getting lifted over the top of people cause it can fucking hurt if u end up falling on the barrier or straight on the floor,a more laid back approach would be stand bout 10 rows backs from the main action people still mosh but its a little more sane

mrthrax said:
its been a while since i last listened to exodus,time to get fab disatser on the stereo!!!!!!!!!!

my advice in the pit would be to try and avoid getting lifted over the top of people cause it can fucking hurt if u end up falling on the barrier or straight on the floor,a more laid back approach would be stand bout 10 rows backs from the main action people still mosh but its a little more sane

pleasures of the flesh ownz.

I am not a pit man, because I always end up with broken glasses(maybe I should take 'em off?Nah.) And to those about to see 'Thrax and Motorhead: waer earplugs. Motorhead are fukin' LOUD!!!They deafened me when I was having a piss for christs sake!

My advice is start eating some fatty food man!

Me and my beer gut will be 'toxic waltz'-ing around the bristol bierkellar on Sunday.....although am I past all of this being 30 with kids??? I hope not.

Props for the Exodus reference

Laters

all this talk of moshing and the pit is firing me up!! by the way, do people get thrown out for crowd surfing?!! I saw very few people crowd surfing at the Stone Sour gig! I was about to start but I didnt want to get my ass thrown out! help me out here! because if I dont then some major crowd surfing is going to happen! as im quite light its a lot better!

kaiyan said:
all this talk of moshing and the pit is firing me up!! by the way, do people get thrown out for crowd surfing?!! I saw very few people crowd surfing at the Stone Sour gig! I was about to start but I didnt want to get my ass thrown out! help me out here! because if I dont then some major crowd surfing is going to happen! as im quite light its a lot better!

Call the venue in advance and ask them what their policy is for your particular show. Play it safe that way.