Any of you guys play the Sax??

Sep 8, 2005
I want to learn it, but how difficult is?? also,:

I know just a little about Sax, which i need to learn to play?? i want to use it live with my covers band, you know, Men at work`s who can it be now, Floyd`s Money or Wham`s Careless whisper, that stuff.

I´m pretty good learning new instruments, but i gotta say that sax scare me a little bit hehe.

i have one but havent played it in like 3 or 4 years. It wasnt that hard to learn when i was like 12 or so I got to the point of gettings good scores in honors band but yet again i was a freshmen in highschool

Alto sax was my first instrument because my parents wouldn't let me play drums in grade school. Played it about 3 years, then switched to piano, then finally to guitar when I was 15 and bought my own from my first real summer job. I picked it up fairly quickly, but if you want to play songs like Money, you're going to need to put some serious practice time in. I do remember playing Wham's Careless Whisper though and that was relatively easy. Anyway, to summarize, you won't be able to just pick it up and sound like you know what you're doing without some dedication to the instrument, no matter how quick you learn.

Yeah, i understand, i having a growing need to learn it, because i love how it sounds, is not just to play those songs only, and i know it won´t be easy, but i know i will fell good when i can play a good sax improvisation. Another question guys, is an instrument you can learn on your own, i mean without methods??

Thanks for your answers!!

By the sounds of it, the tenor sax is probably the place to start. Many people start on the alto, but i'll take my dads word for it (he's been playing saxophone for 40+ years) and recommend the tenor as a stronger place to start.

It's not too hard to become ok on, if you can master the basics. It's not as awkward as the violin or anything

The way I feel about most instruments (and the way I learned the guitar) is make sure you have someone (even if that someone is in a youtube video :D) show you the basics of technique so you have a solid foundation, and from there just play your tits off!

Yeah, i understand, i having a growing need to learn it, because i love how it sounds, is not just to play those songs only, and i know it won´t be easy, but i know i will fell good when i can play a good sax improvisation. Another question guys, is an instrument you can learn on your own, i mean without methods??

Thanks for your answers!!

Sax was easier for me to learn than guitar. I don't see why you couldn't teach yourself the instrument, at least as far as basic techniques, etc. The biggest trick to it is the manipulation of the mouthpiece, which is really where all of the cool sax sounds are made.

The tough thing is that it's not generally a good instrument to sit around and play by yourself, unless you are a private eye sitting in your hotel on a dark, rainy night; with the "No Vacancies" sign flickering in your window.

it's also not an instrument where you can dial or buy in a good tone in any way. You'll spend years chasing the ultimate tone using your mouth and lungs, not your wallet

I've been playing Alto for over a year now. great fun but i found it quite tough to get right.
it takes ages to build up strong facial muscles and be able to hold a steady tone. one of the best pieces of advice i got at the start was to not cheap-out on the instrument itself. i spoke to a saxophone tutor about this and she said she had turned students away before who had bought cheapo instruments that were literally incapable of playing correctly.

its a mechanical instrument so it needs to be of decent quality.

as for learning music on it, pick out your favourite vocal melodies and learn them. i learned stuff like "brothers in arms" and the vocal line from "The Trooper", great fun.
oh, and put loads of effort into your longtones. thats the best way to build up the face muscles and create a nice tone and steady intonation.

This thread needs someone playing "Another Day"

That sax part makes me feel like I'm in a shitty romance novel targeted towards fat old single depressed women.
I'm dressed like Fabio and I creep forth. Hhahahah

This thread needs someone playing "Another Day"

That sax part makes me feel like I'm in a shitty romance novel targeted towards fat old single depressed women.
I'm dressed like Fabio and I creep forth. Hhahahah

Hahaha, I can't believe I didn't think of "Another Day," and I was just listening to the album! Excellent imagery as well :lol:

Thanks a lot for the responses guys.
Someone to recommend me a good Tenor Sax? they are expensive, so it has to be a decent one on the cheap. the sax in Another Day is Sexy, there`s a lot of nice Sax songs, i love the dirty and rusty sound they made, is that with the mouth?? i also have to train my lungs Haha, i get dizzy just inflating (is that the word?? blowing sounds suggesting.) a party balloon.

I have a friend who said to me that this crazy guy made a Sax out of a piece of wood, i know that guy, is an hyperactive motherfucker who kickass on the guitar, but i don´t know how a wood sax could work, he claim that it sounds awesome!

Someone to recommend me a good Tenor Sax? they are expensive, so it has to be a decent one on the cheap. the sax in Another Day is Sexy, there`s a lot of nice Sax songs, i love the dirty and rusty sound they made, is that with the mouth?? i also have to train my lungs Haha, i get dizzy just inflating (is that the word?? blowing sounds suggesting.) a party balloon.

I have a friend who said to me that this crazy guy made a Sax out of a piece of wood, i know that guy, is an hyperactive motherfucker who kickass on the guitar, but i don´t know how a wood sax could work, he claim that it sounds awesome!

Breath control is huge with any wind instrument, particularly with the sax, because if you blow too hard on some notes, you'll get a harmonic rather than the note you are trying to hit.

"inflating" is the word, although "blowing up" means the same and is less formal

i'll ask my dad when i can about tenor saxes. what price range where you thinking of?

I was gonna recommend the alto, because its more versatile in my opinion. however, if you love that "dirty and rusty" sound from a sax, you'll achieve that tone much easier with a tenor. drawback, more expensive though