Any opinions on the band In The Woods?

opeth70

New Metal Member
Aug 16, 2002
Cleveland, OH USA
Visit site
Anybody have any opinions on the band In The Woods? I'ver read some reviews and they sound pretty interesting. I'm not that big of a black/death metal fan unless it has something progressive to it (like Opeth and Borknagar) and they definitely seem to have something like that going on in their music. I know they are no longer a band now, but I was just wondering if any of you have bought some of their music and what you think of it. Thanks!

I have omnio and 6 times 7 on a pilgramage and both a very good...they even do a king crimson cover on 6*7 on a pilgramage which is a female version of epitaph (i think i cant remember) from the court of the crimson king.

I heard they were like a more raw version of Opeth.. or something...

do they have mp3s up somewhere or something?

i've got all of their 4 albums.

i just can't stand the screamings on the 1st one.

but i recommend the others:

omnio
strange in stereo
3*7 on a pilgrimage

definitely NOT (black) metal, but just GREAT MUSIC, one of the best bands ever, in my opinion. so sad they exist no more...

i guess i have a different opinion on them...i bought that 4 disc package from the end records awhile back, and sold them pretty soon after receiving them. i didn't like the singing, nor the music. in fact, i thought it was pretty bad...but then again, maybe i just didn't listen to it enough.

In the Woods...., were, IMO, one of the best metal bands to ever grace the earth!!!

In my view, they have that "special something" that bands such as Opeth, Emperor, Maiden, Zeppelin, etc. possess!

And they are NOT black metal. Of course, I never picked up their first CD due to the black metal screaming.
But their other CDs, ESPECIALLY "Omnio" & "3x7 on A Pilgrimage" are pure audio bliss!

"Omnio" was released in '97 & is an emotional roller-coaster of a CD! The CD is comprised of but 5 songs - each measuring in at about 11 minutes! And each is just awesome! The band uses two vocalists: a male named Jan Kenneth & a female (name forgotten). The vocals are ALL clean & the male comprises about 75% of them.
If you like Opeth, and especially if you like Green Carnation, you should love this album! In fact, the opening vocals on "Light of Day" are sung by Woods' Jan Kenneth. Great voice, similar to David Bowie but not as deep, IMO.

The next release, '99s "Strange in Stereo" is just that: STRANGE!
It's VERY avant-garde & unusual. It took quite a bit of time to sink in & grow on me. But it sure did! I guess that the best label for the music is "dark chamber/progressive/avant garde/metal/psychadelic with emotion".....if any label applies at all!!?!?!?

The last release was a compilation of a few new tunes & the three 7" vinyl EPs that the band released.
The new songs are more in the vein of "Omnio" - just beautiful progressive, anant-garde doom!
The singles included some cover songs:
"Epitaph" by King Crimson, a Pink Floyd cover, a Syd Barrett cover (ex Pink Floyd) and a Jefferson Airplane cover (psychadelic 60s band)!!!

Again, if you like Opeth, Agollach, Green Carnation, Anathema, My Dying Bride, you should really like these guys!

"Heart of the Ages" was pretty good -- I haven't listened to it in a while. The songs were long -- kinda a mix between black metal and slow, psychedelic progressive doom (uh, whatever that's supposed to mean!). Omnio's more of the same, minus the black metal part. Lost track of them after that......