Any other band good as Opeth?

Vlad Guzu

Tzepesh
May 4, 2005
Montreal
Hi everybody! I would like to know other bands like opeth. I know that they have a unique sound, but I am sure that there should be other bands as good as they are.
by the way, my top 7 bands are:
1 Opeth
2 Negura Bunget
3 Dissection
4 Dead Can Dance
5 Katharsys
6 Black Sabbath
7 Pink Floyd
there are others but I don't remember them right now

^^ Novembre are similar to Opeth, and while they are pretty good, they are definitly not as good as Opeth. The same epicness just isn't there.

Check out the first album from Dark Suns...it's kinda Opeth. Not a bad album.

The first Katatonia ep called "Jhva elohem meth" (I think that's how you spell it)...that album is pretty Opethy, it was like pre-Opeth. Anything else from Katatonia up to Brave Murder Day is similar to Opeth a little. Great music...Don't get brave murder day.
You'll most likely dig Agalloch too...they got the acoustic/heavy thing going but don't necessary sound like Opeth.
Edge of Sanity is great...Check out Spectral Sorrows, Purgatory Afterglow, Crimson. Some great melodic stockholm death metal. They were basically the first Swedish death metal band to sing clean...essential albums.

Opeth are one of my favourite bands but i love the likes of Iron Maiden, In Flames (Clayman being my top album), Dream Theater, The Mars Volta, CoB and Primus equally.

Edit: sorry, read the question incorectly. Borknager at times remind me of Opeth but i think you can only pick elements from other bands that remind me of Opeth. Lykitha Aflame (not sure about the correct spelling of the band) create a similar concept of mixing other genres with death metal.

MasterOLightning said:
at times Agalloch is better
shake.gif

I don't think that there are bands just as good as Opeth.. But here are some you would like.

Dark Suns
Woods Of Ypres
Agalloch
Novembre.
In The Woods