Any suggestions on cd's to buy at PP3?

Old Ryche Fan

New Metal Member
Nov 8, 2002
Houston, TX
Visit site
To all progressive power metal fan's,
I finally scraped up enough cash to buy some cd's from these awesome vendor's at PP3. I love band's with power and great vocal's like Lost Horizon, Rhapsody, Kamelot, Angra, Brainstorm,
Westworld, Disturbed & Nocturnal Rites. I'm trying to catch up with new releases. Any suggestions anyone?
Thanks for your input.
Peace!
Mike:confused:

Hmmm I can throw out some stuff I am really looking forward to getting.

In no particular order

Mystic Prophecy
Symphony X
Pagans Mind
Pathos
Eidolon
Mark Boals
Trancendence
Freak Kitchen
Porcupine Tree
Brainstorm
Missa Mercuria
Tunnelvison

Shit I got tons more I better stop, my ass is going to be broke :D

:headbang:

Bear

If you like stuff like Rhapsody and Edguy, I strongly reccoment either or both of the Avantasia discs. Virtually every aspect of it is flawlessly done. I consider it to be quintessential epic-melodic power metal.

Originally posted by Old Ryche Fan
Is that Shaman Ritual cd any good?

i love it! Andre's songs are not like the "competition of high tone" here anymore. interesting atempt to adupt the South American folk instruments to heavy metal. yes guitar sound is heavier.
my most favorite songs are Ancient Winds, and Fairy Tale..

Originally posted by Old Ryche Fan
Is that Shaman Ritual cd any good?

Ken Golden from The Laser's Edge should be carrying it. Ask him.

I endorse it since I am a big Andre fan and Holy Land fan. It may have been slightly over-mixed honestly I don't think there is another band who incororates world and latin jazz into heavy music like this. I think Andre is brilliant.

SHAMAN is an incredible album.. that and the DREAM EVIL Dragonslayer albums are my 2 most played lately.

I also liked;
Arjen's Anthony Lucassen's Star One Space Metal album
ARTHEMIS - The Damned Ship
ANGEL DUST - of Human Bondage
SEVEN WITCHES - Xiled To Infinity And Beyond
WARMEN - Beyond Abilities (keyboardist from Children of Bodom solo)
WARRIOR - Code Of Life (no Fighting The Earth, but a lot better than their 2nd release)
FLOWING TEARS - Serpentine (kinda darker, female vocals, very good)
AMARAN - A World Depraved (also female vocals)

on a heavier / thrashier note I've been listening to:
Darkane
Terror 2000
Soilwork
Witchery
Carnal Forge
In Flames

and for my rock moods:
-anything 80s-
LULLACRY - Be My God (great metal/rock with female vocals)
HALFCOCKED - Last Star (very powerful hard rock, female vocals)
ALICE COOPER - Dragontown
BEAUTIFUL CREATURES (Joe Leste's new band from Bang Tango, in my opinion this is the BEST rock album to come out in many mnay years).

Here is my current list I'm hoping to buy at PPUSA. These aren't really similar to the bands you listed, but I thought I'd post for the hell of it.

Opeth - Deiliverance
Symphony-X - The Odyssey
Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage
Into Eternity - Dead Or Dreaming
Sentenced - Frozen and Cold White Light
Heaven's Cry - Primal Power Addiction
California Guitar Trio - +2

Guy

Shaman's CD is really good, IMO. Waaaaaaaay better than Rebirth and hunters and prey.. I love it!

About those bands..

Karma- Good prog metal band... Angra's bassist Felipe Andreolli used to play w/ them before he joined angra... Good stuff...

Thoten- Pretty standard power metal... They are ok.. The singer is awesome though! I;ve seen them opening for Savatage in rio..They are not bad at all, but it's nothing new.

Liar Symphony- I;ve never heard them, but I know they are power metal...

I have Liar Symphony's Affair of Honour, which was released in June, 2000 as their bedut album.

the songs themselves were composed as great melodic speed metal, with impressive keyboards. and high tone vocal. they also released the second album last year but i haven't got it.

try to get the first if you have a chance, i think this vocalist can sing :) but the reputation was bigger at the first than the second.

Originally posted by Angrafan
Shaman's CD is really good, IMO. Waaaaaaaay better than Rebirth and hunters and prey.. I love it!

In your opinion. In mine I feel both new Angra relases are better than Shaman. Two reasons really, Kiko and Rafael. They really show who the main writing force behind old Angra was as well, Shaman is a really good cd, but the writing is just good, not great. My opinion.

Bear

i agree with Bear on Angra's new works.

i think maybe the ones who experienced the "rebirth" in their lives would have known the reason. that album is really special to me!

BTW i'd like to look for Mystic Prophecy CD as well, Gus G is one of the most talented guitarists i think. he played the solo from Koujou no tsuki, Uli Jon Roth :D version at the show here!

Rebirth is actually "my least favorite" angra album... The only song that really impressed me was Judgment day. All other songs are pretty standard, IMO. Even though people keep saying angra are a power metal band, in their early works there are very few european style power metal songs. Carry on, Zito, Wings Of reality, Evil warning and that's it... they were pretty original if you ask me..
Rebirth is just like any other euro band. It doesn't mean its bad. It is not, I like it alright, but they aren't among my favorites anymore.

I just really think that Edu brings a kick ass edge to the new Angra, I like the direction they are going, alot better than they were going with Matos IMO. I also mean its very original sounding Angra at the same time, with just more balls!!!

Junnie, Mystic Prophecy is awesome!!! That must have been a hell of a show you saw?? what is Koujou no tsuki??? Havent listened to Uli in a long time.

Bear

Originally posted by Drummerist
Any one have any opinions about Glass Hammer or Fith Reason?

Glass Hammer recently were announced to play at NEARfest. I have only heard them a few times on internet radio, but I read 1 description for them being like if ELP and Yes did a collaboration. Michelle Young also has sang on a few of their albums..there is hope she may show up at NF next year.

hmmm if you are talking about Fifth Reason, i have Within Or Without, i think it was released in 2001. it's very dark, progressive sound. i thought they were too heavy for me, but very technical and talented i think.
do you know their official website?

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-28967/index.htm/index2.html

(but it hasn't been updated for a while)

and Bear, you can hear that in old Scorps live album i think, it's an old japanese traditional song, maybe it has another name in English, i don't know..
i saw him at Dream Evil show last month! it was great :)

i'm really excited now! see you soon :)