Any tips for lead guitars?

Jun 2, 2005
I have one major weakspot, and that's mixing/recording lead tones... somehow they sound crap for me most of the time.

So does ayone have some tips?

I tried cutting the lows out and boosting the mids a bit for more "cut through" the mix effect.

I have one major weakspot, and that's mixing/recording lead tones... somehow they sound crap for me most of the time.

So does ayone have some tips?

I tried cutting the lows out and boosting the mids a bit for more "cut through" the mix effect.

take a look at the surrounding vocals and try to match the leads to those...

I usually boost freqs I'd cut in rh-gits other than that just a bit delay and reverb..

I actually don't cut the lows on the leads. One thing I like to do is to record the leads using a small diaphragm condensor...or an LDC would work too...just a condensor in general rather than a dynamic mic. If you use a POD though, which I know you do :), try using the U67 mic model when you do the leads. Another tip is to use a different amp than the rhythm guitars are using, but that's something you probably knew already.

I know as far as eq'ing I don't low-pass nearly as much on the leads, and I don't high-pass at all. A boost in the mids. Other than that I treat leads like vocals for the most part.

~e.a

Boost 800Hz!! Always works for me in live sound... haven't done too much mixing leads on records...

Sounds like a phenomenal idea though to match the vocals freq bands with the guitar... I've done that in the past for horns and such, but never remembered the idea when I was doing guitar stuff.

Interesting. Not to say that the same settings don't work...I've just always found that the leads are much easier to work with and they sound better in the mix to start with when the settings aren't the same. To me it's like having just another "rhythm" guitar since the settings would be the same, if it's leads it should have a different sound anyway. My thing is that I listen to a lot of Steve Vai (he's the bestest!11!! lol) and so when I approach a lead tone it usually has a phat (yes, with a PH) mid-driven sound. Not too much that it sounds honky, but just enough that it makes it nice and round and cuts through with ease. Whereas my rhythm guitars tend to have a good amount of mids but I tame them later with post eq in the box. I always run Rcomp on leads, and get kinda generous on it when it comes to shredders that way when they are doing their thing on the low strings the notes don't disappear under the rhythm guitars.

Sometimes I'll even get a great rhythm sound that has too much mids in it *only* when there are leads on top, so I'll end up automating the EQ to scoop some mids during the solo(s)/lead(s).

All in all it's a safe bet to start off treating leads like vocals. That's what I've learned anyway.

~e.a

Hey guys, hate to bump this thread and I know that this doesn't have much to do with Sneap but I've ALWAYS loved the lead guitar sounds on Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos album. I know a lot of it's the playing and thats not a problem as myself and most of the guitarists I work with have great technique. Sonically, however, we can't touch that tone and the way it sits in the mix. Any idea how these were achieved? Thanks for any help you're able to give.

a good trick to try is a high pass filter at 200Hz. use the same tone since you already like it for your rhythm's there is no reason why it wont work in the mix or for you solo vibe!!! from there run it through the same verb as your vox(saves on CPU in a native system and helps blend the tones in a lead vox type of style) NOW for the mixing part of things!!! TURN YOUR RHYTHM GUITARS DOWN during the solo!!!!!!! automate the faders to drop down a ,this opens up a very nice "hole in the mix" for your solo to "jump out" with out having to turn anything up louder than the vocals in your mix!!!! HAHA this is a little thing i have been a big fan of doing for many albums of mix(damn guitar players always want to be the loudest thing in the world on the album) you also start to make a more dynamic mix instead of everything slamming and loud loud loud and flat cardboard type of mixing.(let the mastering guy ruin your dynamics)HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAH anyway that is my two cents or pence depending on which side of the pond you rock on!! HAHA
Love Curran:loco: